3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

cutout question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 02:58 PM

cutout question

My 87 Z28 has 3 inch exaust with a cutout and a flowmaster with a single outlet (i could care less about the apearance of dual exaust) and i was wondering if it was dangerous to run with the cutout open alot? with it open there seems to be a loss of torque :/ it sounds bad as heck tho what are even the benefits of running with it open? i know the exaust probably flows alot more freely but i mean specifically.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:14 AM
85_LG4

I could be wrong.. but I believe that w/ it open it increases hp.. but I also believe that it will decrease torque.. could be wrong though.
Matt

Old 09-22-2003, 11:17 AM

I have a question about cutouts as well... Anyone know a good place to buy power cutouts? Looking to have it switch activated.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:01 PM
85_LG4

Sorry man.. heard of them.. but dunno where to get them.. do a google-search or something..
Matt

Old 09-22-2003, 09:12 PM

I gained 21rwhp and 8rwtq in 2nd gear by opening my cutout (before cat).

If I was in 3rd gear, the gains would be more like 25rwhp and 12rwtq.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:36 PM

okay i dont claim to understand the principals behind this but here goes nothing. When you have a really restrictive exhaust system it increases back pressure which gives you an increase in torque but kills your hp. When you free up the exhaust the back pressure decreases resulting in a loss of torque however i do believe the loss in torque is in low end torque and it is MORE then made up for in the quarter by your hp gains. As far as the way it sounds well thats because you get to hear all of the lovely little back fires happening in the exhaust pipe. One of the main purposes of a muffler is to get rid of the sound of those back fires although with a set of chambered mufflers you still get a nice little pap pap pap at wot (can you tell i love my exhaust setup???). Anyways your car should be netting quicker quarters and a good bit more hp with the cutout and i dont see how you could possibly be doing any damage....im pretty sure you could run your engine open from the headers all day and not do any damage....well to the car your ears might be a little sore at the end of the day!
Old 09-23-2003, 08:30 AM

Re: cutout question

Originally posted by Z28James
(i could care less about the apearance of dual exaust)
Please don't tell me you have one of those single ricer cannons
Old 09-23-2003, 10:05 AM

the drop in back pressure (greater flow) due to the open cutout will cause a slight drop in low end torque typically. but also this will gain you alot of power on the top end in the form of horsepower.

there is nothing bad that can happen to the engine from running the c/o open all the time. i had mine open on my 96Z for months at a time...no problems.

now one thing that could come up would be accelerated deterioration of the frame. this is particularly problematic if you run no cats i've heard.

basically the exhaust and unburnt gas can deteriorate the metal under the car, also possibly affecting any lines such as fuel or brake.
if you are carefull of the direction to which the c/o is pointing...than this may not be a problem.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:56 PM

Re: Re: cutout question

Originally posted by Strahley
Please don't tell me you have one of those single ricer cannons
haha no man not at all. its just a single inlet single outlet muffler. the car isnt pretty by any means except for my draglites..so i figured why bother with the fake dual exaust.

oh...and my cutout sends the exaust off to the side of the car, and when i ment my exaust sounds bad i ment its awesome (i grew up in the 80s :P).

Last edited by Z28James; 09-23-2003 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: cutout question

Originally posted by Z28James
oh... and when i ment my exaust sounds bad i ment its awesome (i grew up in the 80s :P).
lol so its bad azz! i love the sound through my chambered where when i go to wot i get that pop pop pop pop pop its so damn loud and sounds so cool......ive heard a couple cars running straight pipes with no mufflers or cats or anything.....kind of annoying but really cool all at the same time....
Old 09-23-2003, 08:35 PM
85_LG4

Lol.. as of right now I have no exhaust after the cat either.. lol.. sounds f'in awesome!
Matt

Old 09-23-2003, 09:15 PM

yea i wanna put in a cutout before the cat but i think it would be easier to put it on the stock pipe that comes after the cat theres also more room to do it.

does anyone know what the pipe size is for the stock lg4 (is that the inner or outer dimension)? cause i dont know what size cutout to get

has anyone done either of those choices on their car?

how big of a sound difference is there with it before the cat as aposed to after?

thanx
Old 09-23-2003, 09:33 PM

theres a new "toy" out that lets u staight pipe ur car but also still have the cat, muffler system, you install this thing in front of ur cat and lead of another pipe anywhere u want it 2 go, with a flip of a switch you could go staight pipe and blow exhaust in some ones face, then u could switch it back (which redirects it back throught the main exhaust system) and wave 2 the nice cop.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:43 PM

yo, mechanicZ, you got a link to that info?
Old 09-24-2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by CamaroZ28Coupe
yea i wanna put in a cutout before the cat but i think it would be easier to put it on the stock pipe that comes after the cat theres also more room to do it.

does anyone know what the pipe size is for the stock lg4 (is that the inner or outer dimension)? cause i dont know what size cutout to get

has anyone done either of those choices on their car?

how big of a sound difference is there with it before the cat as aposed to after?

thanx
well the car i have now has headers and my iroc didnt. my iroc had exaust only till the cat...and it really sounded like crap, my car now...no cats...and it sounds awesome...im sure the headers make a difference though.. :/

Quick Reply: cutout question