3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 10:44 AM

Engine questions

Hi all, I just bought my 87 camaro last month from a friend who bought it for his girlfriend.....Long story. Anyways, It was working great for the first month except for a small annoying tick in the passenger valve cover area.

Well in the last 2 weeks it began to become hard to start. It would turn over slowly then it would kick in and start. Then one day I drove it around the base, and when I came back I turned it off to run into my room and when I came out it wouldn't start. I have enough battery to run all my acc's and roll up my windows, but when I go to turn the key everything goes dead, then when I let off it comes back alive.

We tried to jump it off, but it was a no go. I can't get under it to beat on the starter to see it it is sticking, but I think that is what it might be. Does anyone else have any ideas? Thanks
Old 10-22-2003, 10:56 AM
85_LG4

How old is the battery?
My Z28 did the same thing.. the battery was shot. It was drawing too much amps I believe. I also thought it was the starter.. dropped in a new battery, and all was good!

Old 10-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Banned

Test the battery first. If that is good (more than volt test) then have someone help you with a draw test which will tell you whether the cables are going bad. If that is ok then the problem is with the starter.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:28 PM
85_LG4

Ya.. I thought it was my starter too.. even putting on a battery-charger on "Start", the car "still" wouldn't start.
It was the Battery

Old 10-22-2003, 08:35 PM

I hear about this all the time. Battery. Go to AutoZone and they'll install it for free! Haha, just saw the commercial. Good luck man!

-Rippin
Old 10-22-2003, 08:58 PM

make sure your batt. cable connections are good and arent corroded or anything. if u have a digital volt meter,put it on the battery and have some1 turn the key to start it,if it jumps waaay down close to 1-3 volts,than the battery is bad/needs charging

hope that helps
Old 10-23-2003, 08:27 PM
85_LG4

Agreed again..

Old 10-27-2003, 01:29 PM

I went to Advance auto and had my battery tested. It was bad, so I bought an new one. Hooked it up and it did the same thing it was doing before. Changed the starter and it runs like a charm. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:26 PM
85_LG4

Ok, glad to help!
Glad ya got yer problem fixed, also.

Old 11-02-2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Rippin92RS
Go to AutoZone and they'll install it for free! Haha, just saw the commercial. Good luck man!-Rippin
I think there should be a basic level of compitence required to owning a car. If youre too stupid to be able to change a battery you should not be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by doug791
I think there should be a basic level of compitence required to owning a car. If youre too stupid to be able to change a battery you should not be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.
Doug I know, I was just kidding! Speaking of which, I went to Autozone/Advance/NAPA and you have to be 18 to work there for the sole purpose that you might get shocked while changing a battery and sue them! People these days...

-Rippin
Old 11-02-2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Rippin92RS
Doug I know, I was just kidding! Speaking of which, I went to Autozone/Advance/NAPA and you have to be 18 to work there for the sole purpose that you might get shocked while changing a battery and sue them! People these days...

-Rippin
You should change taht requirment to having an IQ higher than that of a wildebeast. I swear the idiots they hire in those stores I just buy everything from Summit anymore.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:19 PM

After you rule it out that it is indeed not your battery, check your starter next. The housing that holds the flying end of the starter on my L98 cracked once, and it wouldn't allow the car to start because the bending moment produced when it tried to turn the engine over. Freak things can happen w/ starters. I never expected that.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Warlock4890
I went to Advance auto and had my battery tested. It was bad, so I bought an new one. Hooked it up and it did the same thing it was doing before. Changed the starter and it runs like a charm. Thanks for the help.
He already found the problem and got it fixed. Now were taking this thread off on a tangent.

I know darth last time i was in napa i swear they had the homliest looking people working there i swear some of these guys hadnt bathed in a month looked like they picked em straight up off the street. My only other option is to go through canadian tire.....ugh if ive purchased 40 things there ive returned 30 of them. Someone needs to start a descent speed shop but where you can just get parts too. There has got to be a big enough market for it. More of even an outlet where you can just order from any company, maybe have options as to wether you want to wait for basic truck freight or pay extra for overnight delivery. Wouldnt that be sweet.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:28 PM
85_LG4

IQ higher than that of a wildebeast
Lol, good one!

Quick Reply: Engine questions