3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Estimated HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 01:57 AM

Are newer GT's really that fast? I thought those rustangs were still low 15 second cars. lmao those things are **** slow i just faced up against a 5 speed new GT, (i have a 90 5.7L iroc that should theoretically be good for a 13.9), i had a slipping tranny, tires that were down to the wear bars, and an engine that wasnt quite running perfect. From a light i literally rolled off the line with no throttle so i didnt spin the hell out of the tires, and then gradually got into it with the slipping tranny and the guy was still at the back 1/4 panel. Heh stupid rustangs

Lol i ramble too much at 3 am. Only comment lordmetal said put some 3.73's in pls dont do that, thats almost too much gearing for my 350. I doubt youd need anything higher then 3.23's or at most 3.42's in your rear.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:54 PM

yes you shouldnt put 3,73 is your 305 tpi because it knocks off 4 10,s of a second like it did for me, with no problems at all
Old 07-02-2004, 08:20 PM

gears, will defintly help.
and so will a cam. if you get bothof those you are looking at like a 13.8 if not faster w/good weather.
a converter would hepa nd get it lighter

!amps
Old 07-03-2004, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by lordmetalz28
[B]i agree with some of you and disagree with someoff you, and be nice now, but here goes, a stock gt good or bad driver is around 14.6 to 14.8 even the new mach 1 only hits about 14.2, which id pathetic
I don't know where you guys are coming up with these times but the new Mustangs around here are alot faster than that, and yes most of them are stock.

There is a guy who hangs around with our f-body group from time to time that drives a stock 200? Mach 1. And when he races my buddies modded '98 Formula (a 12.6 @ 115mph car), they stay noise to noise everytime. And Kenny's WS6 T/A ( a 12.2 @ 116mph car) only beats him by a car length or two. And I've read many articles where Mach 1's are running bottom 13's stock. And just last week at our track, a stock 2003 Cobra went 12.8. So I don't know what you guys are smokin, but can I have some?

So to answer your original question, no...you have no chance.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:36 AM

dude, go to ford, the 1/4 mile times are posted in all the sales brochures and on the performance window sticker data, i spent a few months shopping for new mustangs, so your not gonna tell me any different. the only mustang i gve credit to is a new cobra, but still the new corvette and the new camaro are just as fast as it maybe a couple 10,s off, BUT BUT thier naturally aspirated, takes a cobra a supercharger just to keep in the mix, pathetic, just pathetic, your 305 will hold its on trust me and if you dont think so, ill come down and race it for you, thats how confident you should be, just get that stero crap outta thier and the rest of you , need to lace up your cookie puss sneakers, hop in your big wheels, and take a ride down to ford and do some investigation.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:10 PM

dude, go to ford, the 1/4 mile times are posted in all the sales brochures and on the performance window sticker data, i spent a few months shopping for new mustangs, so your not gonna tell me any different. the only mustang i gve credit to is a new cobra, but still the new corvette and the new camaro are just as fast as it maybe a couple 10,s off, BUT BUT thier naturally aspirated, takes a cobra a supercharger just to keep in the mix, pathetic, just pathetic, your 305 will hold its on trust me and if you dont think so, ill come down and race it for you, thats how confident you should be, just get that stero crap outta thier and the rest of you , need to lace up your cookie puss sneakers, hop in your big wheels, and take a ride down to ford and do some investigation.
Metalz,not to cause any H&D here ,but stickers don't always tell the truth,(hehe look at any Honda)remember the real mussle car erra alot of cars on both sides or the F*%d/Chevy fence were under rated in HP for various reasons. I'm with you and would like to believe those numbers ,but in the real world they could be under rated.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:33 PM

in my 305tpi iroc, is a constant running car
i went from 2.73's runnin 15.3
then with a set of 3.73's and a differnet posi i went to 14.9 and with a set of 3.42's i went 14.7 the day i ran with the 3.42's it was 15* hotter outside and more humid. so u tell me. the car allways feels better with teh 3.42's
the 3.73 winded out way to fast car was never in its power band
Old 07-03-2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by wyclefsirocz
gears, will defintly help.
and so will a cam. if you get bothof those you are looking at like a 13.8 if not faster w/good weather.
a converter would hepa nd get it lighter

!amps
Where the hell are these numbers coming from?!?! if you put gears and a cam into the car i would be happy with a 14.5. LS1 camaro's run mid 13's im not sure how in the hell you think a mildly modded 305 is going to run with that?

And Lord the 3.73's were probably a huge improvement over stock but that doesnt mean that its not too much gearing. I wouldnt put anything higher then 3.42's in a 305.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:34 PM

And you can go to Honda and they will tell you that the Civic is one of the best cars on the road! So what is your point??

I've seen the cars run in person. I know they are faster than mid 14's. Especially the Mach's and Cobra's. Sure I can dig out a HPP Magazine with a article comparing the Mach 1 and new GTO. And the Mach 1 was running low 13's. So you can believe whatever ya want. I am by no means a crustang fan, but some of you guys are WAY off base when it comes to what they can run.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by doug791
Where the hell are these numbers coming from?!?! if you put gears and a cam into the car i would be happy with a 14.5. LS1 camaro's run mid 13's im not sure how in the hell you think a mildly modded 305 is going to run with that?

And Lord the 3.73's were probably a huge improvement over stock but that doesnt mean that its not too much gearing. I wouldnt put anything higher then 3.42's in a 305.
i'm running 14.676@92.02 w/ gears and a catback in my car w/ lil other BS in my 305tpi iroc

L98 3rd gens w/ boltons can go 13.8's,13.9's
with good traction

so if u take a good running LB9 3rd gen.
put in a set of 3.42's, hooker 2055's or 2210's. and a 3" catback. along with SLp runners, ported pleanum pullies, and a mild cam . 13.8 is not out of the question. its been done a few times before with similar mods
u give me a LT1 cam and a set of decent headers in my car and i will run a low 14 w/ no problems.
and you might be happy with a 14.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:46 PM

dude, go to ford, the 1/4 mile times are posted in all the sales brochures and on the performance window sticker data, i spent a few months shopping for new mustangs, .
I looked in a Ford owner's manual for a 2000 Lightning once. Ford claimed a 14.6 1/4 mile. Most flirt with 13s stock. Ford, (like any other big auto manufacturer) wouldn't print in the manual to expect a 13.9 at the track. Lord knows all the crap that would cause.

If you're basing a cars performance capability upon a manufacturer claim, you need your head checked. Go to a track sometime, or take one for a test drive. The new 99+ SOHC 4.6s are no slouch.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:31 AM

ok i dont mean to be a dick but could anyone give me an estimate on power?? heres what ive done so far on a 350 l98, edelbrock shorty headers and y-pipe, 3" cat, 3" cat back flowmaster, edelbrock runners and baseplate, ported upper plentum 58mm tb, 214*/220* dur. .452/.465 lift 112* lsa, 1.6 rockers,k&n filters and a 4" cowl hood
Old 07-05-2004, 07:26 AM

About 10 HP over stock. Again you Can Not add up your mods for a Number. Just like that Hood, how much does that add???
Old 07-05-2004, 01:47 PM

I think what is being said here is that you can't just add alll the HP gains that certain parts are said to give,or we would all have 400HP cars. Yes indivigual parts may give you a certain amount of power(on a stock block) ,but then when you add the next part you will not see that full gain that they offer because the first mod has already taken some of that up. I would tend to be a little more liberal than 87DJP2001 and would estimate a gain of about 12-18hp with what you have. Now your torq numbers may be a differant thing they may be a lot higher,but that would take a dyno run to tell,hope this is the information you are looking for.

Old 07-05-2004, 04:26 PM

Suggesting that amount of mods added 10 hp altogether is absolutely ridiculous. You most certainly can add horsepower up for mods, you just have to have realistic numbers and use parts that work together, obviously not numbers thrown around by the parts manufacturers... And it's entirely been proven before.

GMHTP has done a series of dyno tests and dragstrip runs on a 305 TPI Formula recently. A standard dynomax catback added 8 rwhp. Installation of dynomax headers added another 7 rwhp and 12 ft-lbs of torque. A set of underdrive pullies and the SLP runners added just over 20 rwhp together. A Ed-Wright computer chip (custom not off the shelf) added around another 14 rwhp I believe it was . All simple, bolt on stuff. Now anyone of these parts added by itself on a bone stock motor may have given more power, or more likely less. But together as a system of improvements they'll add up to significant increase in power.

That's nearly 50 rwhp added for simple mods in this case, there is no way in hell the kind of fairly significant intake and exhaust mods the original poster has made only netted him a 10 hp improvement. In his case, headers, hi-flow cat, cat-back, ported plenum and SLP runners together have got to have added a solid 25-30 hp at bare minimum I would think... The exhaust and intake setup on these cars is just too poor from the factory to not show these kinds of gains with the right parts together...

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 07-05-2004 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Estimated HP