3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 10:00 PM

Question exhaust

Hey I was wondering if any one could tell me some web sites to find a Dual Flowmaster exhaust from the Headers back. No Y-pipe or the other crap. And I want it to sound pretty loud.

Thanx
Old 01-24-2003, 11:04 PM

They don't make duals for these cars in kit form...you have to get the parts together and have it welded up or just get the whole thing custom made. There's not a lot of room under these cars so most guys who want duals don't bother going over the axle, they just pull about 2 feet of pipe off the collectors then go into the mufflers and dump the exhaust right before the rear end. It'll cost you some ground clearance but it'll sound BADA$$.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:02 PM

I ran duals on my 85 T/A recently. I have hooker long tubes and ran dual 2.5 inch pipe with h pipe and dynomax bullet mufflers. For ground clearance the 2 biggest problems I see is going under the crossmember/subframe, and muffler placement. I used bullet mufflers because they are small. If you can have pipes custom bent you could have the pipes ran under the crossmember pretty easy. I used hedman s extension/reducers to move the exhaust to the center in the driveshaft tunnel. I then ran it back to the rear end and put the mufflers and turndowns on it. If you want to use normal mufflers you will have to find somewhere to put them. You could either modify the floorboards to fit them, or run the exhaust either over or under the rear axle and put the mufflers behind the rear axle. You will need to get under the car and study the floorboards and plan out where you want to run everything. It is tight trust me.

Ben
Old 01-26-2003, 01:50 AM
Banned

True duals are a PITA and totally unnecessary unless you are running 500+ HP IMO.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by aklim
True duals are a PITA and totally unnecessary unless you are running 500+ HP IMO.
I agree that you dont really need true duals until you are making some pretty serios hp but you got to love the sound. Also, what you want your car to have determines how much of a PITA it really is. If require that you run past the rear end and you must have full size mufflers it can really suck to do but is still possible. Also you must really research it and take a good look at the bottom of your car before you start on it or you are likely to be displeased with the results. One thing I have noticed is that if you have a manual transmission you have room to modify the tranny crossmember to make the pipes run through. You can also fit a 2.5 pipe over the drivers side axle if you route it properly and your car is not lowered and your springs are not sagging. Here is a link to a thread on thirdgen.org. http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/show...ctual+progress This guy did an awsome job on his exhaust. He modified the tranny crossmember to allow him to run his exhuast up higher and ran it over the rear axles and even made his own mufflers. It all depends on what you have access to and how good you are at fabricating.

Ben
Old 01-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Banned

Money is the only thing to fabricating. If you wanted you could run it thru the cabin. My issue with true duals is that you end up with a car that you have to "make it work" all for nothing. You will most likely end up with losing something in the process like your ground clearance. Short of going thru the cabin, I have yet to see anyone show me that they have not hurt performance or emmisions (for those states that care) and kept the ground clearance. You make it with too many bends and you will hurt the performance. Either that or reduce your ground clearance which means you may have to do it again when you wear a hole in your exhaust.

I have an SLP 3 in and if necessary I will go to a mufflex 4 in someday. So far with my 3 in, the exhaust is not hitting the bumps which I go over without coming to an almost stop.

No one has been able to show me the power gains. I took my cat back system off at the track and ran the same times. I kept weight constant by removing the exhaust and placing it in back.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:51 PM

Ok, I am not trying to argue that duals are for everyone or that you cant have an awsome single setup, but just that if duals is what you want it is possible. One thing you mentioned was emissions. It is imposible to pass emissions if you have a visual inspection obviously because even if you were to use cats they are not in the correct position which is required. I dont have emissions tests so I dont have to worry about that. I just went and measured my ground clearance and my collectors are the lowest point(hooker long tubes). The flange on my collectors has 4 inches of clearance and the rest has at least 5 inches. Did you look at that link I posted. His exhaust is tucked up even higher than mine because he was able to modify his tranny crossmember and keep his exhaust up higher the whole way back. If you are looking for bolt on performance duals arent it, but if you are willing to work for something unique that sounds awsome then its a possibility.

Ben
Old 01-27-2003, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by aklim

No one has been able to show me the power gains. I took my cat back system off at the track and ran the same times. I kept weight constant by removing the exhaust and placing it in back.
Also, something I just notied. You are referring to removing the exhaust after the cat and leaving everything else there? If that is the case then I dont think yuu would have seen a real difference unless you had a sucky muffler. You left what I see as the main problem there. First off if the cat was still there that could cause some restriction, but the main thing is the y pipe. You have more than one cylinder at a time firing and combining into the y pipe. This causes a bottle neck. When you run duals you have some of the same problem being as 2 cylinders on each side fire very close to the same time which means that they are both trying to use the same pipe at the same time. This is why if you run duals you want to run an x or h pipe. This allows this over sized pulse to split up and flow down both sides. This works because at the same time you have this oversized pulse on one side of the engine you have a lack of flow on the other. This keeps air pretty much constantly flowing through each side which creates a vacuum and sucks the next pulse along and gets it out of the way at which point it creates vacuum for to help pull the next cylinders exhaust gasses out and soforth. Therefore with a dual you dont constantly have 2 exhaust pulses trying to fit into the same space at the same time and when you do you can use an x or h pipe to help couter act it. Some people believe that a single exhaust does somewhat the same thing by keeping the air moving and it may to an extent but think that there is also restriction caused by running the 2 sides completely together.

Ben
Old 01-27-2003, 09:46 PM
Banned

Oh the cats were there. Just very little in them. I only changed to the single cat a couple years ago. Back then the car came with the 2 cats. Before you check for obstruction in the twin cats you had to remove the "Y" pipe that channeled it to 1 exhaust pipe if you catch my drift. Easier to shine a flashlight into the 2 individual cats when you can remove the "Y" collector after the cat.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:21 PM

use a good header and at least a 3" pipe with a 2 chamber flowmaster and a single out and it will be more than loud enough. go up to 4" and you'll need ear plugs for trips going further than the grocery store.

i wish someone made a really good flowing exhaust that was quiet.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kandied91z
I wish someone made a really good flowing exhaust that was quiet.
Once upon a time I had a rusted muffler that GM replaced for me. I didn't have them install it so they had GM warranty the muffler and install but just gave me the muffler. Anyways, I sold it for enough to pay for a Borla XR1 Raceline muffler and got them to bend a 90 deg tailpipe. Stuck on an intercool tip from Borla and it made the tone more of a low rumble. Never had a problem with it.