3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Exhaust Fumes

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 06:59 PM

Exhaust Fumes

Recently i've been smelling odors from the rear of my car. Now I realize that it's 14 years old and it's bound to smell but i'd like to clear it up. Also it's been cool around here recently and i'd like to figure out why i'm getting a crap load of smoke from the back? I know it's normal for an older car to smoke a little bit when it's cold but when I start it up it's as if I got smokestacks on the back of my Camaro. I was wondering if a Fuel System cleaner would help or even take care of these problems. The engine runs fine I haven't had any real problems with it. But don't feel like I can make significant power improvements unless I have a clean burning efficent V8. Or could it even be the gas I put in it? I've been using 89 Octane but since gas shot up recently well I had to put 87 in it the last time around. I don't think that would cause a significant problem but then again I dunno this is my first "Sports Car". When my dad bought the car the previous owner said that the oil had been changed and was still good to go. Could it even be that the oil needs to be changed? I know these are trivial ?'s but I really don't like being the guy sitting in traffic with the bad smelling slighly smoking car. Anyways your advice and insight is always appreciated and thanks again.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:28 PM

My old LG4 used to make my eyes water, after I gutted cat. It had a really strong smell in traffic. no worries on the freeway. Smoking on startup is common. Are you sure its not just steam from the hot exhaust coming into contact with cold weather? My iroc does this too, but its not smoke. Could be bad valve guides, getting some oil in there and causing undesireable smoking.
Also as far as gas goes, I don't know about other states, but my car will not run on anything less than 91 in this state. 89 on occasion, but you can feel the effects. I never EVER put 87 either my 86 or my 89. I didn't wanna see what it would do. These cars often need a higher octane to keep em going. I know guys who run 87 in their LT1's with no real peformance losses, but every 3rd gen I have ever known was really picky about what gas it use

Will
Old 01-25-2004, 10:54 PM

On the next tank i'll put in 93 Octane and see if that takes care of the problem. I'm probably being paranoid about the smoke deal. And it's never smoked in warm weather so looking back it's steam and i'll just have to deal with it lol. But I still want to use some type of injector or fuel system cleaner. So what type would you guys recommend. A guy that I work with said STP but i'd like to know what you have used and what it's done for you. Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:35 PM

I would go along with stanghunter on the octane ratings I used 89 one two occasions,and always at least 91 ( California's highest). I use the STP treatment every two to three tanks and my stock injectors still hold 50# for two hours after shut down,also Chevron or Standard (in the east?) have a gas treatment cleaner additive (also in fuel)called Techrolon that works well.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:38 PM

could be valve guides i had that problem before
Old 01-26-2004, 12:48 AM

Use "Berryman's B12 Chemtool", the "just pour it, and floor it" one. Actually contains several solvents and works very well usually the first time!..
I'd say change your 02(Oxygen)sensor, mine used to burn my eyes out when I first got it. I replaced the 02 sensor with a "Bosch Platnum" one and it's worked great every since...
Old 01-26-2004, 01:58 PM

yah could be just valve seals. Try an oil treatment. and no hurt to go with a fuel additive once or so..but i dont think ts your problem with the smeel or smoke. But steam is normal when its cold if you can see your breath then youll see it from your tail pipes.

you dont have an exhast leek do yah?
Old 01-26-2004, 03:42 PM

No leak which surprises me and actually the previous owner said he did something to disable the O2 Sensor what he did I don't know but I definitely plan on getting it corrected. Thanks for your advice i'm just about out of gas lol so I need to go fill it up with the 93 Octane.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:27 AM

Your computer needs the 02 sensor to make adjustments, disableing it will only hurt performance, mileage, driveability

Will
Old 01-27-2004, 09:17 PM

Talking

I realize that but I can't correct the problem if I don't know exactly what he did. My only option is to take it to the Chevy dealer and have them take a look at it. But that takes money and after having my Flowmasters Installed (100 Dollars and I even got 200 dollar chrome pipes for 50 bucks ) I'm broke so far as in driveability and gas mileage I haven't had any complaints. But I also have to take it back to the previous owner to get my AC recharged so when I do that I will have him correct the problem. Thanks for the advice stanghunter and btw guys Flowmaster 80 Series kick ***
Old 01-28-2004, 02:20 AM

Yeah they are good bang for the buck mufflers. I've had one on both my 3rd gens and was very pleased, more so with the iroc because the 350 sounds better than the 305 did. Im saving for GMMG though, someday!

Will
Old 01-28-2004, 03:17 PM

I love how my 305 sounds now it doesn't sound like it has no ***** lol. It's great but now I gotta keep myself in check and not drive like an idiot.