3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Exhaust question...and possibly more

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 12:05 AM

Smile Exhaust question...and possibly more

Hello all......I am new to the Camaro scene, just purchased a 91 Camaro RS w/ 305 TBI in a 5 speed manual back in December. The colour is white with the black grey interior.

It runs ok, it has been rebuilt once and it has 221889 miles on it. It seems like alot but it seems to do pretty well. I have had to replace alot of rotted parts so far for the car was sitting in the previous owners yard collecting dirt and weeds for a year at least.

Anyways I would greatly appreciate any dircetion you can give me in modifying this beast. I would like to get a better exhaust for it, stock one is pretty bad and restrictive. What is recommended that is reasonably priced, gives good power but is also relatively quiet. I already have an air box picked out for it. As for the rest of the mods I plan it will have to wait, it has some cosmetic and interior issues I need to deal with as well.

Well thanks for listening, I will be looking forward to your reponses!!!

Thanks,

Peter
Old 06-03-2006, 02:09 AM

Re: Exhaust question...and possibly more

I had a 92 RS 305 TBI with a flowmaster cat back on it, I really enjoyed the sound of it, so maybe you will too.

I've done a header swap on a couple 305s, that should be your first step, then get a Y-pipe and catback of your choice. After that I would look into your ignition system, make sure the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, are all good, if something looks weird, replace it.

305s arnt the fastest, but they sure as hell are fun to drive. My 305 was much easier to handle on the twisties than my 350TPI, they just have a good power to weight ratio for having fun.

Also, as with all thirdgens, you should look into sub frame connectors, and a wonder bar if you don't have one already. Good shocks are a must as well, I've been happy with my Monroe Sensa-Tracs on 2 of my thirdgens so far, and they are muuuch cheaper than most of the performance shocks out there.

Good luck
Old 06-04-2006, 12:22 AM

Thumbs up Re: Exhaust question...and possibly more

Thanks Steven, I appreciate the input, you have been the only one so far...lol. I have look into the Flowmaster . As for the ignition..... yes I plan on doing that next week, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. It doesnt look bad but after sitting for so long it wont hurt to replace it. I will probably use Jacobs or MSD stuff. As for the chassis and suspension I am planning on doing all that in the future.

Thanks again for the tips,

Peter
Old 06-04-2006, 11:44 AM

go to www.thirdgen.org and look up the ultimate throttle body parts 1 and 2 under tech articles
than do a search for helix power stacks and find the one for the gmc jimmy its about 100 dollars after that get a pro flo open air element air filter about 25 at autozone finally go to http://www.tbichips.com/ and email this guy he'll reprogram you prom so itll get more power i recomend going to a junkyard and removing one buy it so your not down a car while hes reprograming your chip
i did this and upped my gas milege form a little over 180 a tank to 240 a tank(not including the chip though) aswell as got more power or at least i think i did.
as for your exaust question, on my 91 305 RS i went over lifts at school a few to many times and that destroyed my exaust clamp that held the back half to the cat. so i ripped it off and drove with the exaust ending at the cat for about a year with no problems. after it was ripped off i noticed a slight power increase so i guess i freed up my exaust huh?
as for the ultimate throttle body tech articles i reccomend that you get a throttle body unit off a car in the yard that way you can mod it while still being able to drive. you wont need the injector part just the throttle body. and if by chance you cant find one a gmc jimmy's will work with a little creative moding for the tv cable and throttle cable bracketry. and if for some reason you cant find either of those in the yard i do have an extra one i can sell if your interested.

good luck and enjoy.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:36 AM

if your shopping for headers i suggest hooker 2055s. i have a set and with the Y pipe they fit excellent. im also running a magnaflo cat and edelbrocks cat back.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:18 PM

i have a 1989 IROC 305 5spd and i have looked all over for places to find parts and the by far best is www.hawksthirdgenparts.com. You will like what you find there.