3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Exhaust Suggestions - Muffler Rusted Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 01:09 PM

Arrow Exhaust Suggestions - Muffler Rusted Off

Yeah so the muffler connection to the main exhaust pipe rusted through while I was on the interstate doing about 85 arounded a banked curve - that was exciting. Anyway I have a pretty stock 92 RS 305 w/ Auto. I've got the exhuast that doesn't have any tips coming out the back...I want to keep the stock apperance and do some upgrading.

1. Is aluminized as good as stainless - basically will the aluminized prevent rust problems (I live in Colorado and they put all sorts of stuff on the roads)

2. I'm planning on doing headers at a later date, should I just do a cat back 3 inch or should I go ahead and get a 3 inch cat and have an expander put on the stock exhaust before the cat (I can't just skip the cat - f-ing emissions tests). If you think yes get a new cat what are some good brands: random tech, catgo, mag-flow???

3. I want my car to be as LOUD as possible - what's your combo?

4. How much would be a fair price for new 3 inch cat, aluminized three inch, flowmaster, and no tips? I'm getting quoted about $600.

Thanks everyone!

And yes I have looked through the old posts but everyone seems to like to ask the same question with their specific points when it comes time to do the exhuast ;-)
Old 07-27-2003, 01:28 PM

I have headers with merely an H-pipe, no muff's or cat, but it's way to loud.

I'd say just do cat-back, I've heard that hi-flow cats don't improve it enough to help much.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:35 PM

True duals...i have to get off my lazy butt and get some pics of the bottom of my car so i can show people who want to know but its a really nice setup that the previous owner put on it. The way its set up is with the stok l98 dual cat pipes just slightly modified. Basically i have a true dual setup, dual cats, and chambered mufflers.

The way it is set up is fantastic the duals have enough bends in them that it cancels out some of the sound and the chambered mufflers are so awesome....i havent ever seen the inside of them but i dont think there is anything there i think all they are is a tube with dents pinched in the side so the sound waves deflect and cancel a few of them out. From what i can gather the best company for them is www.stainlessworks.net they sell a really good pair. If anyone knows exactly how these mufflers work please chime in but i know theyre great theyre mega loud dont even know if my car would pass a decible test if a cop ever decides to be a **** i guess ill find out.

As for your question on aluminum well aluminum doesnt rust. Aluminum alloys will but not as fast as steel.

Also does anyone have pics of what the stock l98 dual cat setup looks like id like to see a pic so i know how mine has been modified!!!
Old 07-27-2003, 03:58 PM

If you are serious about a better exhaust, I would have a new 3" Y pipe made, buy a $99 hi flow catco 3" cat from summit or a local exhaust shop, and run 3" all the way back to either a hooker aerochamber or a dynomax bullet muffler (cheaper).
Old 07-28-2003, 01:05 AM
Banned

Borla with T304 stainless will not rust in salt very easily. I know because I had one that dulled with age but not rust and I drove it for 4 years in salt and winter conditions.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by aklim
Borla with T304 stainless will not rust in salt very easily. I know because I had one that dulled with age but not rust and I drove it for 4 years in salt and winter conditions.
But for the price he could afford to have his exhaust redone eleventy billion times.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:41 AM
Banned

Isn't it about $600? for a catback? What is your time to do it again and again worth? Sure, he could have a cheap pipe installed and do it again and again but labor is expensive and the inconvenience is not to be ignored. Why not do it once and do it right and not have to do it again and again?
Old 07-28-2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by aklim
Isn't it about $600? for a catback? What is your time to do it again and again worth? Sure, he could have a cheap pipe installed and do it again and again but labor is expensive and the inconvenience is not to be ignored. Why not do it once and do it right and not have to do it again and again?
I guess I cant see spending $600 for a muffler that doesnt even sound that great when dynomax bullet mufflers are $30. If I lived somewhere like colorado, I wouldnt drive a car i cared about during the winter because i would hate to put a car I liked in danger of body rott, etc.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:45 PM

chambered mufflers...theyre not even real mufflers they are so loud youll love em.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:17 PM

Cheap solution: Dynomax. They cost nothing and sound great. Flow decent. Last about as long as a stock system. If you want a stock replacement for your application it will come with a 2.5" intermediate pipe and muffler with dual 2.5" tips that look almost exactly like stock.

If you want to plan for the future order up a system for a same-year single-cat TPI car. That'll come with a 3" intermediate pipe and muffler and the same 2.5" stock-appearing tailpipes. Just have the muffler shop rig up a reducer to fit your existing cat outlet. Then when you get headers and a 3" cat (or straight pipe) just whack off the reducer and have the shop connect it up 3" to 3".
Old 07-28-2003, 07:55 PM

Doug791...I have seen your exhaust on a few cars and also have a video/sound clip of one on a 305 TPI IROC. It sounds so awesome. It is what I want to do when I get an IROC.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:02 PM

NarCah, how do you get away with an H pipe, no cats or muffler in California? Really, I want to know. Also where do you live in the middle of nowhere? Just wondering. Sorry I jumped in on your thread. Go stainless if already rusted off onces!
Old 07-28-2003, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Zrated383
Doug791...I have seen your exhaust on a few cars and also have a video/sound clip of one on a 305 TPI IROC. It sounds so awesome. It is what I want to do when I get an IROC.
Yeah the car sounds beyond freakin amazing and the chambered mufflers are absolutly incredible i cant get over how nice this car sounds it makes my knees weak every time i hear her start up. Recently for the first time i heard a bone stock ls1 start up and i had to stop my self from laughing at the guy his car sounded so pathetic compared to mine

On the stock dual cat setup where do the two pipes come together? If anyone has a pic of the stock setup itd be great i want to know exactly where and how mine was modified.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:30 PM

Re: Exhaust Suggestions - Muffler Rusted Off

Originally posted by BoulderCamaro
[B3. I want my car to be as LOUD as possible - what's your combo? [/B]
I just realized he said this the loudest...no combo run it open from the headers. Man thatd be loud wouldnt get away with it for very long though!
Old 07-29-2003, 03:04 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 12Second3rdgen
I guess I cant see spending $600 for a muffler that doesnt even sound that great when dynomax bullet mufflers are $30. If I lived somewhere like colorado, I wouldnt drive a car i cared about during the winter because i would hate to put a car I liked in danger of body rott, etc.
As long as you are willing to sacrifice longevity for sound