3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Fuel Pump Just Went!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 11:05 AM

Fuel Pump Just Went!

noooooo! seems to me when i bought this car, i bought a lootttt of problems lmao

after fixing the ac compressor, i went to the ATM to get money and on my way home, the car started to bog... the car wouldn't rev high no matter how much i tried to punch it to give it gas... it just got slower and slower, sometimes it would rev a lil on it's own, but then it just died. my mechanic was next door and he checked it out and said it's the fuel pump. DAMN, what a bad one. now i gotta dish out money to get a new fuel pump. seems like i'll be writing on the board a lot since i have problems with the damn car like every day, lol. anyone got any suggestions on really good fuel pumps? cuz im going to spray nitrous for a little while till i get my blower... thanks guys!
Old 09-11-2003, 01:25 PM

Go with a genuine AC Delco pump! DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use an aftermarket replacement type pump. There is no cost difference, and the AC Delco will last. The aftermarket pumps are known for going bad fast - like only a couple of months. In some cases even weeks... Replacing the pump is not a job you want to do twice. The stock pump should work fine for bolt-ons and even a shot of nitrous.

If you insist on a high performance replacement, mount the pump externally.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:48 PM

I'd go with a Walbro 255lph pump.
Nearly everyone I know that replaces or upgrades thier pump goes with the Walbro. It's about $120 or so at most online places.

If you decide to go with an external pump, the life of them is about 2000 hours, but replacement is really easy. you just need to remove the intank pump first and mount a piece of rubber hose in place of the stock intank pump.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Banned

I had to change my tank so I decided to do the pump as well. The Walbro one mentioned went real easy and works fine. Seems like most people who use it are happy with it.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:02 PM

alright, well here's the deal. my friend dave works for a chevy dealership in miami and he told me if i gave him $350, he'd have his friend (who built dave's low 10 second all motor trans am) fix my fuel pump and look things over on the car to make sure everything's working straight. im sure dave's gonna do something extra to the car without telling me, just to suprise me - cuz that's the kind of guy he is... trust me, he put a nitrous kit on my 67 camaro without telling me - and for FREE. why? just because he wanted to see what that sucker would do with a 250 shot, lol. anyways, the reason i went along with the deal was because it's a chevy dealership, and this guy is REALLY good with fbody's. firestone told me $488 to replace the fuel pump and labor, so i think i made a good choice in having dave's friend do it for me. i dont have time to take the fuel pump out so i might as well let someone else do it since he promised i'd have it back by either tonight (which i doubt), or tomorrow. damn... what a week, lol
Old 09-11-2003, 05:09 PM

$350 is a deal since it is a pain in the *** to change pumps.
It's not hard, just time consuming.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:12 PM

i have had two gm intank pumps not counting the stock one....for bare stock essential bolt-ons they are fine. they don't last with any sort of real power and if you use an external booster they are junk. alot can be said for paying a little extra for the gm parts in some instances and for stock applications i'm sure it's a good idea but not here.

i've dealt with alot of issues on these and many combinations. short of a complete separate fuel system, sumped fuel cell, etc. a walbro is the best that i've personally used.

racetronix sells a nice kit for those looking.....for my setup i have a 340 walbro and it plugged right in no problems. i paid a little under 300 to replace it. considering the gm pump was a little more then the walbro and i need an external booster to support the nitrous which was 200 alone i'm very happy with this one pump that does it all and it isn't loud which is nice. the humming of an external gets old after awhile.

good luck.

Old 09-11-2003, 05:18 PM

My external pump makes a high pitched whine when it gets hot.
It's not too bad, but can get annoying like Kandied said.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:21 PM

honestly when i first put the external on i enjoyed the noise as well as it was convinient to know everything was working....however i became so use to it that towards the end i pretty much drowned it out. lots of passengers who weren't use to it though wondering what it was.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Banned

Don't know about you guys but mine never made that whining sound even when it was new, old or with the new Walbro one. You could hear it whine when you turned the key on but the engine sound drowned out the pump.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:10 PM

hmm... i was just thinking... sometimes when i didnt have the air on, or when i was outside the car, i could smell gas comming from somewhere on the car... i couldn't pin point it though cuz i guess i was too lazy to try. i also had bad gas milage... you think the fuel pump could be the answer to all of that?
Old 09-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Banned

To check the fuel pump, I would go check the fuel pressure and see what it does at different situations. If fuel is leaking, that could explain your bad mpg. You have to see if it is leaking from the tank or the pipes. I would suspect the tank first.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:14 AM

just found the part number for my gm pumps

anything beyond stock they won't work...
Old 09-12-2003, 09:41 AM
Banned

How much are those pumps anyway? Unless it is super cheap, why not go aftermarket where for under $150, you can have a good pump? Just in case you do mods in the future.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by kandied91z
i have had two gm intank pumps not counting the stock one....for bare stock essential bolt-ons they are fine. they don't last with any sort of real power and if you use an external booster they are junk. alot can be said for paying a little extra for the gm parts in some instances and for stock applications i'm sure it's a good idea but not here.
The stock pump is good for at least 10.80s at over 127mph. The original pump in a coworkers 91Z28 with a built 350 that runs 11.80 on motor and 10.80 on a 150 shot has over 75,000 miles on the original pump with it feeding the above combo for nearly 5 years flawlessly. GM pumps work fine I've changed enough aftermarket pumps to know that the GM pumps don't come back.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Just Went!