3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

FYI, Vortecs + Edl Performer + carb = Don't clear stock hood.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 10:46 PM

FYI, Vortecs + Edl Performer + carb = Don't clear stock hood.

So my 350 is like 99.9% ready to run....I just gotta find out how to get power to the inline fuel pump (anyone know?) and then she's all good....

so the stock 87' iroc hood goes on for test fit...yea....the carb hits the top before it even shuts....thats w/o an air cleaner....great....ill be rockin a nice hole in my hood apparently
Old 09-10-2003, 11:06 PM

hgjhg

I'm wondering how much taller the Vortec setup is compared to a normal setup. I have stock heads, Performer intake, a 1" Nittrous Express Stage 6 plate/spacer, and Holley carb and it fits fine with no filter. Probably a 1" clearance. I hacked up a TBI air cleaner for now but a 2.5" drop base will work better soon with a K&N Element and "Extreme Flow" lid or whatever they call it.

Oh and a TBI air cleaner only fits if you cut the riser off of the bottom of it, making it flush underneath. Ugly but effective

BTW, a buddy of mine has a Victor Junior and a Demon 750 on his small block under a stock RS good. With over an inch of clearance with a filter on and everything. I think he has a 2 or 2.5" drop base also.

Last edited by AutoRoc; 09-10-2003 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:26 AM

There is something wrong with your car. Countless others have the same combo with no problems. Some even have RPM intakes under the IROC with no problems. Others have the same combo under Firebird hoods...
Old 09-11-2003, 08:57 AM

Dont' know what it could be....Vortecs, Performer, a Holley 750....I'm not even "close", A 2" cowl probably still wouldn't clear an air cleaner....
Old 09-11-2003, 11:08 AM
85_LG4

SON OF A BITCH.. I also have a Performer 600.. will it make clearance in my 85 Z-28?
Matt

Old 09-11-2003, 11:20 AM

Its funny, because Im not even CLOSE, with the hood on, with the hood "popped" and the spring holding it up a little....I had like 1 inch of clearance....basically, as soon as I start to shut the hood it hits...thats w/o an air cleaner....
Old 09-11-2003, 02:11 PM
85_LG4

****.. hope my damned Performer will fit.. lol
I am gonna snap if it don't fit..
Matt

Old 09-11-2003, 07:33 PM

that seems weird that the carb hit or even comes close.

i put a 350 in a 91 rs with the vortec heads and the performer rpm intake a 1 in. spacer and the a 750 holley dp and although it didnt fit under the hood it would have without the spacer (i cuoldnt get by without it because the carb had bigger acc. pumps on the bottom than it was supposed to and they hit the intake). but you should have no problems with any cowl hood for sure and if you arent using any spacers you should be able to use the stock hood, i recall even running with the stock hood on without an air cleaners and not having any clearance issues. something just dont sound right. especially if you arent using the rpm intake or carb spacer.

later,
Nick J
Old 09-11-2003, 08:59 PM

I'm running a 1" spacer as well, but I'm not close....I have no idea why...but the hood doesn't even shut w/o an air cleaner....
Old 09-11-2003, 09:38 PM
85_LG4

So you are saying that my RPM Airgap won't fit under the stock hood?
Matt

Old 09-11-2003, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by StealthElephant
I'm running a 1" spacer as well, but I'm not close....I have no idea why...but the hood doesn't even shut w/o an air cleaner....
can you get pics of the setup???
Old 09-11-2003, 10:12 PM

Yea...ill get some pics

lg4, it might fit for YOU, i posted long ago if i would have clearance probs...some said no, some said yes....beats the hell out of me at this point...if i was "barely" hitting it would be one thing...
Old 09-11-2003, 10:52 PM
85_LG4

some said no, some said yes....beats the hell out of me at this point...if i was "barely" hitting it would be one thing...
Lol... niiiice..
So I am just gonna have to take that risk, or what?
Matt

Old 09-11-2003, 10:56 PM

People have LONG noted that the Performer RPM manifold gives some 3rd gens a lot of clearance problems.

A regular Performer has never caused this problem, that I know of. Unless the Vortec one is higher in profile than the normal one.

Sorry to hear of your troubles

I guess a cowl hood is in your future, eh?
Old 09-11-2003, 11:05 PM

I'm not running an RPM, just a dual plane edelbrock performer manifold....

yea...4" cowl prob....aftermarket hoods take forever to get, wait is normally 4-6 weeks...im gonna try and find a POS hood for like 25-50 i can cut a hole in...i dont' wanna mangle my stock iroc hood, when i get money and put in a fuel injected 383 in a couple years i want the "stock" look

Quick Reply: FYI, Vortecs + Edl Performer + carb = Don't clear stock hood.