3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Going back and forth..sell or keep..KEEP, but need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by kraftopia02
I did a swap from 305 TBI to 350 TPI motors...was hell on earth
Kraft, welcome to the board man! I'm planning on this swap next spring. Why was it so hard? Give me the run down. Thanks

-Rippin

NOTE: Garage: If you want us to start a new thread about this let me know.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:03 PM

Hey, thanks for the welcome! I figured that there were so many people on this board the newbies would go unnoticed.

The basic problems i'm running into with the TPI swap are becuase i did not change out any of the underdash wiring and i am having trouble getting the engine harness to "talk" to the car harness. Simple things like how the fuel pump gets signals are TOTALLY different on the TPI harness than the TBI harness. Plus, the wiring schemtics in the Haynes manuals are just for looks...most of the wires and RELAYS aren't even there! This made for quite an interesting challenge. Plus, random things like changing the size of a plug, and then the fact that there are two different wiper motor/wahser pump setups (this sounds simple...but it's not) made it even more fun.

Also, after i ended up with the motor in the car i realized that the throttle cables for the TBI and TPI cars are different. Did not know this until i had it all together...and the TV cable is NOT going to be fun with it in the car! Hahaha.

Then, my motor mounts were BOLTED on with NUTS. Thus, when i tried to take them off...the bolts just kept spinning and spinning. I thought i was going to have to cut half the front of the car apart to get the new mounts on...but i ended up with an 18" extension and two universal joints going right thruogh the spring to get to the three nuts. Just pray that yours are welded on! haha.

Vaccum on the TPI is insanity. There is just no way. I'm actually now trying to convert to an LT1 intake setup becuase i ran into a small manifold issue that requires taking it ALL apart again...

It was really a fun project although there were many frustrating problems. I'm VERY glad i did it, just a few more weeks and she should be turning about 370 flywheel (or should i correctly say flexplate?) horses with the build i did (including the LT1.) Hope your swap goes well!

Kurt
Old 09-29-2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Rippin92RS
Kraft, welcome to the board man! I'm planning on this swap next spring. Why was it so hard? Give me the run down. Thanks

-Rippin

NOTE: Garage: If you want us to start a new thread about this let me know.
My thread is your thread man, help yourself

kraft, thanks for the info btw!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:35 PM

Wink

Now would be a great time to slip in some turbos....

~BB~
Old 09-29-2003, 08:44 PM

Thumbs up

TURBOS???? WHERE WHERE??!!!

You're more than welcome Garage, hope i helped ya out.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by kraftopia02
TURBOS???? WHERE WHERE??!!!

I have a Garrett M11 sitting in my shed that 'm not using (yet.)

I got it off a wrecked International truck....360TD with a fresh rebuild on the engine and turbo. This thing has about 100hrs of run-time on it. I can't decide if I want to plumb it into the RS or sell it to help finance my suspension build-up......
Old 09-30-2003, 08:55 PM

sounds like fun to me...

if i only had the bottom end to run boost...hahaha
Old 04-12-2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by TheGreatJ
You caught that just in time Doug. SFC's are a vital necessity to any 3rd gen.

Here's what I would do in your shoes:

Since you're doing this more to save the car than for mad HP, stay away from the stroker. It's extra money that you don't really need to spend. Pick up a 350 shortblock and some worked Vortec heads, or just go to GMPP and pick up a Vortec 350 crate engine. Get a carb intake and stick your Q-jet on it to keep things simple. That way you don't have to hack the car's wiring, you can use all your original sensors (or replace them if you prefer,) and still end up making 300hp or so.

My $.02
Wow, great info on this board. I have an 86 Z28 also. Only has 82k miles and runs perfect, but some day when it's worn out, I really want a 350sb in it. I like your idea. Here's my Z

Last edited by quickbiker; 04-12-2004 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by TheGreatJ
I have a Garrett M11 sitting in my shed that 'm not using (yet.)

I got it off a wrecked International truck....360TD with a fresh rebuild on the engine and turbo. This thing has about 100hrs of run-time on it. I can't decide if I want to plumb it into the RS or sell it to help finance my suspension build-up......
If you plan on using a diesel turbo off of a truck...like a 18 wheeler type engin. You might want to re-think that one. I had this same problem when I was going to do a build a TT VG30ET using two similer turbos. unless there's something about your application I'm missing.

~BB~
Old 04-12-2004, 09:59 PM

I`m with doug STROKE it

if you do go with the 350 use the Vortec heads they can make 350hp out of the box

For your carb I`d go with a nice 650 dubble pumper. Q-jets suck

get a short block built then bring it home and you can bolt the heads intake and carb on. Not much you can f up.

Me I`d go with a 383, AFR 195`s, Holley team-G intake and a 4150 HP Holley DP DF carb and a Comp 282S solid cam.... Oh wait I am going with that combo can we say 450+ HP