3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Good exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 11:03 AM
85_LG4

Good exhaust system?

www.jegs.com
Part No. 289-17493
Is this any good? Decent hp? Will it sound nice?

What about this?
289-85098
Good h/p? Good brand-name, or no? Will it bolt right up to my 'Marrow and exhaust listed above?

Put the 'Marrow away Sunday, and I am plannin on doing the exhaust and carb over the winter. I REALLY need to get going on all this stuff.. so all help is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanx all,
Matt

Old 10-14-2003, 11:09 AM
85_LG4

Ah yes.. and this one..
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...91&prmenbr=361

So.. what I am really asking, is that will this combo of exhaust parts I just directed you guys to, will fit, and be a good combo for my Camaro. I am looking for sound, power, and ease-of install..
Thanx again gents/lades,
Matt

Old 10-14-2003, 11:11 AM
85_LG4

And what size cat will I want to fit w/ the rest of the exhaust combo I have stated.. thnx..

Old 10-14-2003, 07:54 PM

IMO the Hooker Cat-back system is the best. It sounds awesome even on my crappy 305 TBI and it was extremely easy to install.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:27 PM
85_LG4

Ok.. but will the hooker hook rite up to the Cat and the headers I have shown?

Old 10-16-2003, 11:20 AM
85_LG4

Ok.. so I am not gonna get any more help on this subject?

Old 10-16-2003, 11:40 AM

dont hav etime right now, but if nobody posts more by the time i get back on, i'll help ya man
Old 10-16-2003, 12:51 PM
85_LG4

Ok.. that would be GREAT.. thanx man..
Matt

Old 10-16-2003, 01:00 PM

the hooker cat backs sound REALLY nice
but the borla takes the prize, that exhaust has the best sound to it, and it flows REALLY good
i read somewhere, and i could be wrong, that either dynomax or magnaflow (i think it was dynomax though) flowed the best out of all the exhausts, thus giving more hp to the wheels than other exhaust setups... dont take my word for it though, go look online and do searches... go to thirdgen.org and ask if anyone knows of any sites that people have done tests on exhaust setups to see which one flows better. let me know what you find peace
Old 10-16-2003, 01:14 PM

oo crap, almost forgot to mention...

if your looking for an exhaust that'll give you the most hp out of any other exhaust, you should go true dual. you can have a muffler shop custom build you one and it wont be as expensive as the borla exhaust setup, lol, it'll sound nice too. i have a dual exhaust with dumps on my 67 camaro, and man o man does it sound SWEET. im going to get hooker long tubes soon and have a shop custom that i know build me a dual exhaust with those headers
Old 10-16-2003, 02:53 PM
85_LG4

I wouldn't mind Borla.. in fact I would LOVE Borla.. but I don't have 600+ dollars to spend on a damned exhaust system.
That Magnaflow I showed you IS true dual.. isn't it?
Thanx for the info man..

Old 10-17-2003, 10:59 AM
85_LG4

Ok.. so again it appears as if we are at a stage of non-helping.. lol
Will someone please tell me if this combo will work? About how much h/p will I gain from this particular setup?
(Please keep in mind that I am only 16, which is why I sound like a complete idiot.. lol)

Old 10-17-2003, 04:14 PM

alright... lemme give you some advice real quick

stop rushing people to reply to your post. thats what you're doing everytime you reply again asking for help. you making your post will bring people in... you constantly telling people they're not helping you after about 2 hours of your previous post would make them click "BACK" and avoid your post. you have to be patient. that way you dont get everyone's bad side for being annoying.

like i said, forget those other exhausts... go to a muffler shop by your area and ask them how much would it cost to do a dual exhaust setup for your car. buy hooker comps long tubes (non coated or coated) . my suggestion to you is get them coated, they last longer, look nicer... worth the money. if you dont want hookers, get hedman headers (non coated or coated. hedmans are cheaper but i'd go with the hookers if i had the money. then i'd go to a custom mufler shop, have them do the rest. if you need cats, get them... random tech has a really nice flowing cat... but if your state has no emmisions, dont get them since you really dont need them. you'll love the sound of true dual exhaust :-D if you supply the headers, you can probably have all the work done for about 200$ or so, depending on where you go. take care pal
Old 10-17-2003, 05:55 PM
85_LG4

Ok.. sorry about the impatience, but I reeeealy want to get going on my Camaro..
Will a no-name exhaust from an exhaust shop sound as nice as Flow's or even Hooker's, etc?
What do I do.. just get the headers.. and take the 'Marrow in and tell 'em I want a true-dual exhaust system built? Take care bud

Old 10-17-2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by unvc92camarors
dont hav etime right now, but if nobody posts more by the time i get back on, i'll help ya man
notice how i said if NOBODY posts by the time i get back, i'll help
well, either way, you gotta think of this
if you go true duals, it's gonna be relatively cheap but you're also losing some ground clearance
myself personally, i wouldnt get that because i go over speed bumps a lot and that's just asking for trouble
i'd say go with edelbrock or dynomax (cheapest) and get some shortie or middie headers (long tubes also decrease ground clearance and don't have emissions)
just go cheap, because all those exhaust systems provide the same exact gain as every other one
unless you're trying to squeeze every .001 out of your time, just go for sound and price
also, if you do the headers, gotta get them coated, that way they last (if you go to jet-hot, they give you a discount because you're a member here)

now, imo, edelbrock sounds really smooth, sorta quiet though
dynomax- dont go there
flowmaster- nice muscle car sound
magnaflow- sounds like flows
spintech i heard is good, but ihavent heard the sound of it
i would either go buy a catback, or have a muffler place make and install one for you
probably about the same money (if you can install a store bought one yourself)

let me know if you need some more advice

Quick Reply: Good exhaust system?