3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

guage problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 07:13 PM

guage problem

hey guys im 16 and i just got my first car... a 1985 camaro berlinetta with a 305 and auto tranny. the cars in all around good shape as it came from down south so there no rust or anything. however the car is having some electrical problems. as you know the guage cluster on berlinettas are all digital... well it doesnt work. and as for the wiper and heater controlls on the side they work somewhat but you hve to tap the button multiple times for it to work... its seems almost that theres a short in the car because of the fact that none of the entire cluster works except for a the hatch open light flickers all the time... so this tells me that it work but the signal is not going through... has anyone worked on a berlinetta with similar problems that could help... any help is appreciated. thanks guys and i gotta say im glad to own a nice american camaro over the neon i was originally getting.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:09 PM

Hi I really don`t know anything about your problem but just wanted to say I`m happy to hear that a young kid like you would rather own a 85 Camaro over a Neon. I have a 85 Z28. hope you find out whats wrong and have fun with your new Camaro. What do you plan for modds?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:02 PM

well me and my dad are about to order a dynomax super turbo cat back, dynomax headers, edelbrock manifold and a edelbrock carb, trying to keep it not to expensive as i want some more power (of course) but not to where im getting in trouble all the time(i have to be responsible due to the fact that im 16 and have a red camaro the cops around here are dicks and if i get a ticket for anything im gonna have to sell the car cus my insurance is gonna skyrocket) also we need to buy new lifters cus one of them are messed up... it makes a clicking noise at low RPM but whebn it rev's up it builds pressure within the housing so it doesnt click anymore but its makes it really hard for the car to idle. but back to topic i got a question... is it possible to change the berlinetta from the stock digital gauge and get a cluster out of say.. an iroc and use the analog gauges? or willthey not hook up? well thanks for any help..
Old 01-06-2004, 09:04 PM

o yea also how much power you think thoose mods that i listed will add... and one more thing is the 155 hp rating at the fly or the wheels cus i herd sometimes it was rated at wheels to lower insurance...
Old 01-06-2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by red85berlinetta
o yea also how much power you think thoose mods that i listed will add... and one more thing is the 155 hp rating at the fly or the wheels cus i herd sometimes it was rated at wheels to lower insurance...
I've read on here it's at the flywheel but also have been told it's at the wheels. I'm not totally sure

I'm 16 too! Congrats!

-Corey
Old 01-06-2004, 09:27 PM

If you dont find the answer about your guage problem here you can also check out www.thirdgen.org. It is another usefull tech webiste.

About a hp estimate, add and open element to your part list! I would say at least 40+ hp probably more with full exhaust, open element, intake manifold and carb. these will really wake that lg4 up!
Old 01-07-2004, 12:07 PM

thanks for the estimates guys... i cant wait until it all gets here...well heres something that might help... the guy said the gauges went out RIGHT after he changed the alternator... is there anything around the alternator that would of caused the dash to go out..?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:37 PM

Hey those are some good modds but if you have to do lifters I`d get a cam with a good cam and those modds you`d be 80-100 hp more then stock . It sounds like a good car I hope you have fun with it, and don`t get pulled over that would suck.

For your ? I just thought of somthing did you check the fuse? I hope you get it fixed I`d look in to getting the Z28 gauges if they do fit. I don`t know if they would or not?
Old 01-07-2004, 11:19 PM

alright guys now YOU need to help me.... i find part of the short... its in the door (guess how long it took me to find that) lol. its a wire in the driver side that looked like it had been chewed up by the power window motor and part of the wire was touching the metal bottom of the door (the short) i checked the other side and the same thing was there... busted wire touching the metal door bottom...however the speedo STILL is not turning on... but now the warning lights dont flicker when i close and open the door (the hatch open light used to flicker when the door was swining open or closeing) well there wires are cut but there in the door and the speedo STILL is not working... so my question to you guys is are there any wires in the door that have ANYTHING to do with the dash that might still be messing up the signal to the speedo?? thanks guys... hope you can help
Old 01-08-2004, 05:17 PM

I`m gonna say since stuff is grouding out on your door, it wont work. I was working on a olds once and wires where broken in the door and they grouded on the door and the blower fan came on. So fix all the broken wires check all your fuses and everything should work again Good luck
Old 01-08-2004, 09:18 PM

:O i have an 85 berlinetta as well with the digitial guages and pod radio

does your pod radio work? they are really rare and are the coolest do you have the overhead console with the removable camaro flashlight?

heres a wiring diagram

http://www.camaro.org.uk/wiring.html not for berlinetta but may help

heres the berlinetta owners manual

http://www.camaro.org.uk/bmanual/

dealership brochure (i have a real one at home)

http://www.iroc-z.com/1985pages/1985...rochthumbs.htm

check this out too. the owner of this site is on here somewhere http://berlinetta.info/

if you have any questions just Private Message me

Last edited by kevin 2.8; 01-08-2004 at 09:23 PM.