3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

guys that have done a TPI to carb swap in here

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 04:36 PM

guys that have done a TPI to carb swap in here

i know there are a few people on here that have done the swap and i was wondering what u guys did as far as fuel lines are concerned? is there a fitting where u can unscrew the rubber hoses,screw a fitting on or somethin similar to that?

any kinda of hints,links,part numbers,etc lol would be great,thanx in advance
Old 12-17-2003, 05:30 PM

when i did my conversion i cut the rubber line that feeds the fuel and placed an in line filter in then ran a rubber line to my carb then with the return itz not needed so i pluged it for now and will remove it later
Old 12-17-2003, 11:04 PM

I dont know how big of motor you are building but if you are building a big one or like trying to run 11's you might want to save some time and just buy a electric fuel pump for a carb and mount it on the rail somewhere and run a new fuel line. I was running the factory pump in the tank like the other guy talked about and when i finally got the bugs worked out the pump at 7psi would not keep of with the fuel needs on the big end. My carb kept running dry. I installed a 140 gph pump from holley and ran a 1/2 line up to the front of the car. I think that the promblem is that the pumps in the tank are made to run at 35 to 40 psi and when you turn them down to 7psi they dont move enough volume to keep up with a carb on a really healthy motor.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:04 AM

The multi port fuel injection pumps are high pressure, not high volume. If you're running a healthy carb motor, yank the stock pump in favor of a high volume pump and run a new 3/8" to 1/2 inch fuel line from the pump to the carb. If you're just going to play around on the street, leave the stock pump and lines in tact and get an Aeromotive bypass regulator, I believe the PN is 13301.

As var as hoses go, you're probably have to plumb your own.

Good luck.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:10 PM

sorry i didnt say in the first place,but im building a 350 w/ Vortec heads and a Comp Cam (lift is .495/.502). im leaving in the stock fuel pump and running a Mallory fuel pressure regulator. im also using all the factory lines.

im gonna be rubbing steel braided line,but i was wondering how u got the fuel lines configured from the factory location.

is there a fitting made that will screw onto the metal fuel line and then allow me to connect a hose to that?

thanx
Old 12-18-2003, 06:29 PM

lOL @ RICE KILLER87 name
Old 12-18-2003, 10:39 PM

Your best bet would be to find a hydraulic line maker or a local shop that makes hoses. Most places can make a custom, steel braided hose in any length, size/diameter, and with any fittings you want. When I had my oil feed line made for my supercharger, it took them like 15 minutes and cost me $35 bucks. Worth every penny.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:05 PM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

TPI to Carb Swap made easy

1. Sell your TPI car to someone who appreciates TPI and is willing to make it work for him.

2. Buy older carb thirdgen or newer TBI thirdgen and convert that.

Please dont hack up a good TPI car and make it use antique induction technology.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:33 PM

But that antique induction technology runs so d@# good.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:37 PM

sell my nice IROC (not trying to be conceited...but its prob the nicest around here) to some1 that most likely wont take care of it and then buy another car to COMPLETELY redoe/restore like i have already done to this 1...hoooow about..no.

1. thanx for the useless post and the jackass comments.

2. i bet ill have the same/maybe a little more H.P./torque w/ close to HALF the amount of money u put into ur car to get 318 RWHP. and plus,whenever i want to upgrade something such as the cam,i wont have to spend $300+ to get another chip burned and blah blah blah...not to mention if u wanted to change the cam in ur car...ull be the 1 screwin w/ all those sensors,the whole TPI to disassemble/reassemble,and so on where as i wont.

3. if u would like,ill sell u my complete TPI setup off my car and u can make it work for u!

have a wonderful evening
Old 12-20-2003, 04:45 PM

Easy Rice Killer I feel the same way that you do but these tpi guys with there 5,000 dollar motor and 12 second ride get pretty upset when Us simple guys start asking questions about the carb thing. But you still made some pretty good points.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:27 PM

yea, i might have over-reacted a little b/c i had just came in the house from wrestling w/ the header collector to the y-pipe on my Camaro and was still pissed about that,then 'ole Kev-o there wants to come in try and poke fun. o well,no offense to any1...just dont try and jump in my $hit and not expect anything back...
Old 12-21-2003, 02:04 PM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

I burn my own chips, thank you, and the setup didnt cost me $300. Nor did my engine cost me $5000. I have the same bottom end and heads as any carb guy, only the intake is different. And there is no TPI intake out there that costs $2500. So I really doubt you will spend only half of what I did to make your carb setup have 318 rear wheel horsepower.

The cam in my car is here to stay, I'm not changing it.

I live in CA, we have emissions tests, and I cant put a carb (nor would I want to) on my car. I already have a great aftermarket TPI intake and I'm not changing it.

My car starts up easily in cold weather, I dont have to make a jet change when the weather changes 5 degrees, and I get more than 12 miles per gallon. When I do want to change chips, I just drop the computer, change it, and put it back up. I dont have to open the hood, remove the air cleaner, and disassemble the carb to change jets. Now who's the one "screwing with sensors" and having to disassemble/reassemble everything?

No need to throw out insults, I havent insulted you.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:27 PM

Carbs are terrible end of story. We burn our own chips.

Shut up n00b.

I'd rather run my 12's and get 30mpg than run 12's and get 20.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:55 PM

its ok to admit that a carb is easier to tune than a computer...dont worry guys,if u admit it noone will flame on u....really.

to change jets ill take off
-1 wing nut for the ait cleaner
-like 8 screws and pop the top of the carb off
-unscrew the 4 jets,replace w/ different ones and reverse the dissassembly
ur still taking more things apart than me...and im not even counting the time its gonna take u to burn the chip.

if u all want to stick w/ the intake thats only going to allow aprrox. 5000 RPM's and thats with 48 hours worth of porting and gutting that thing...than go right ahead if 2 or 3 MPG means that much to u.

all u really need to do is pick up a copy of Super Chevy magazine (if u dont get it already) and look at the Danger Mouse section (if ur not familiar w/ it,its where they try different setups on a SBC and dyno it) and i bet close to 99% of them of carb'd. they are just starting to get into EFI...but its more of a TBI kind of injection than a TPI

Quick Reply: guys that have done a TPI to carb swap in here