3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Is it hard to change brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 10:26 AM

Is it hard to change brake pads?

I need new pads on my 92 RS,I was wondering if I could change them myself or have them done.What all is invoved in changing them?
Old 12-18-2002, 11:12 AM

Not hard. I like to pull fluid out of the master reservoir, then pop off caliper bolts, then compress caliper piston with a C clamp. Make sure and push piston all the way in, or the new pads won't be far enough apart to go over the rotor.

If the rotors look decent and there was no pedal pulsing, I just pop them off and give them a surface sandblast to remove the glaze. You can use rough sandpaper too, but it's harder. If they look skank, take them to a machine shop and have them turned. Call around ahead of time to see who stocks rotors and for pricing in case your old ones are too far gone. You'd be shocked at the price differences from different places.

Then clean bearings, repack them, pop in new seals, put the rotors back on, adjust them, pop in new cotter pins, pop on pads/calipers, tighten everything, refill master reservoir (NEW FLUID!), and you are done.

If rotors don't need turning, about a 2 hour job.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:44 PM
Banned

If the fluid is clean, I open up the bleeders and compress the piston. Then let it bleed a little. Make sure the reservior is full when you do this. If it is dirty, I like to suck out all the fluid and make sure the reservior is clean before putting fresh fluid in it. In this case, start from the fatherst point and move to the next farthest till you are done. After you replace the pads (if needed, that is) bleed the lines till clear fluid comes thru.