3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

heres an idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 06:09 AM

heres an idea

im thinking about bulding a camaro and i want to make it fast
so im thinking about the year 1987 and taking a new cev vet and taking its motor out and putting it into the 87 that way the smog problems are gone and i got fule injection and better gas milage
Old 03-21-2004, 08:16 PM

This would be more of a 3rd Gen Tech question rather than a Classic Tech.......
Old 03-21-2004, 11:14 PM

sorry im new to the sight im 16 and i have all ways loved camaros so i thought i would try this place out
Old 03-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Classic Tech Moderator

1982 - 1992 camaros are the third body style that GM came out with, thus third generation.

I'll move this over to third gen for ya

Welcome to the board!
Old 03-22-2004, 08:03 AM

Re: heres an idea

Originally posted by racerfox
im thinking about bulding a camaro and i want to make it fast
so im thinking about the year 1987 and taking a new cev vet and taking its motor out and putting it into the 87 that way the smog problems are gone and i got fule injection and better gas milage
Im not understanding you. You want to take a 87 fbody and use a "cev vet" and using its motor?
Im gunna go out on a limb and say that you want to take an LS1 out of a new Vette and put it in a third gen. The LS1 engines are found in all 97-04 C5 Vettes, 98-02 Fbodies, and the new 04 GTO. Now, this has been done plenty of times now that there are parts for it, even if you want to use the T56 6spd trans. I suggest that you take the LS1 out of a Fbody, and not a vette due to the oil pan.
The LS1 makes great power, and gets good gas milage. There are some minor problems such as some engine have massive oil consumption, and "piston slap". These 2 things seem to plague the early LS1 motors, but newwer 01-02 engines seem to not have it as much. There are kits and parts already for the convertion. The LS1 is quickly becoming a very wide spread engine, just like its small block brothers. LS1 parts are expensive though. There are no LS1 headers that will fit a thrid gen, at least I dont think.
As for emissions, it varies from state to state. Where do you live? Cali is going to have a sh*t fit if they see the engine replaced, but in Florida they really dont care.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:21 AM

Please take no offense, but you're in WAY over your head. This is not just a simple remove old engine, drop in new engine and bolt everything up. There is quite a bit of fabrication involved... not to mention the cost!

Just by the fact that you are 16, and you're asking whether or not to do it tells me you're not equipped for this.

If you're stuck on a late model Vette motor, an LT1 swap from a 92-96 Vette is much easier, requires little to no fabrication, and will meet all your requirements of power and emissions. It's cheaper too! There are several threads here about the LT1 swap. Do a search...
Old 03-23-2004, 01:23 AM

well here in cali we have a recycle center of cars like theres dodge and cev well i can go in and simply say ok i want an 87 vet motor they would say ok 3 grand. the main reason im going to a new motor is because i got fule injection and no smoge problems and it wont cost much for an engine and im putting in a auto trans for drag so im heres what im thinking

shift kit, lowering kit might be custom don't know yet,
the vet motor and, i can get great deals on tries so no worries there then a super charger and some flowmasters and a racing chip
and thats about it then race it
o and the stock plastic blue paint job
any recamendations on rims??
or custon roll cage or seats??

and in cali they dont relly car what kinda motor you got as long as it pass's smog so
and i make about 400 a month yea its not a lot but im in no hurry to make this in a year im hoping to have it done by next summer
Old 03-23-2004, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by Marc 85Z28
Please take no offense, but you're in WAY over your head. This is not just a simple remove old engine, drop in new engine and bolt everything up. There is quite a bit of fabrication involved... not to mention the cost!

Just by the fact that you are 16, and you're asking whether or not to do it tells me you're not equipped for this.

If you're stuck on a late model Vette motor, an LT1 swap from a 92-96 Vette is much easier, requires little to no fabrication, and will meet all your requirements of power and emissions. It's cheaper too! There are several threads here about the LT1 swap. Do a search...
im not over my head my dad was a pro racer did rally to nascar
he taught at sears point at the bob bonderant school so im not over my head

he is traing the miltary with hummers and just got done working with rod hall so im ok my dad is the sh*t so im good to go
thanks for your consern though
Old 03-23-2004, 02:08 AM

well here in cali we have a recycle center of cars like theres dodge and cev well i can go in and simply say ok i want an 87 vet motor they would say ok 3 grand. the main reason im going to a new motor is because i got fule injection and no smoge problems and it wont cost much for an engine and im putting in a auto trans for drag so im heres what im thinking

shift kit, lowering kit might be custom don't know yet,
the vet motor and, i can get great deals on tries so no worries there then a super charger and some flowmasters and a racing chip
and thats about it then race it
o and the stock plastic blue paint job
any recamendations on rims??
or custon roll cage or seats??

and in cali they dont relly car what kinda motor you got as long as it pass's smog so
and i make about 400 a month yea its not a lot but im in no hurry to make this in a year im hoping to have it done by next summer
ok, not to start a flame war, but it is very hard to understand you. I also think that you dont understand the concept of what has to get done, or what you want. You want to put a 87 Vette motor into your car? If so, let me explain this to you. In 87, the Vette engine was the 350cubic inch small block that used Tuned Port Injection. The RPO code for the engine is L98. The Vette engine uses Aluminum heads with a smaller combustion chamber. HP topped at 250hp. Not a whole bunch of power stock, but the 350 engine is a very popular performance engine, if not the most popular basis for high performance motors out there.
Now, with that said, if you want to stay with fuel injection, you can keep the TPI set up, but if you plan on building a drag racing motor, it would probably benifit you to go to a different type of set up.
Now, to get back to the fbody. Since 87, Camaros could be orderd with the B2L/L98 350 cubic inch small block too. The difference is that the heads were iron instead of the aluminum heads found on the Vette. The combustion chamber was also larger. Also, the exhaust manifolds were different, and cut the power down to 225hp in 87. The 350 engine was the top engine from 87-92 for the third gen fbody. By 92, the 350 was making 245hp due to a higher flowing dual cat system, and a different EFI managment system that used speed/density{SD] set up instead of the Mass Air Flow(MAF set up of the 87-89 TPI fbodies.

Ok, that covers the 350 TPI engines of the third gen and vette.
In 92, GM put in the brand new LT1 engine into the Vette, and then in 93 into the all new 4th generation Fbody. It had the same 350cubic inch engine, but the block was different for the reverse cooling engine, and other modern technologies. The LT1 made great power, and a spin off of the LT1 was made for high performance models called the LT4.
In 97, the fabled LS1 engine came into the Vette, 98 for the Fbody. The LS1 is a totaly different engine then the L98 and LT1 engines before them. The displacement was 346cubic inches, but still held the 5.7 moniker that has been carried since the L98. The block and heads were all aluminum. Without getting too deep into it, Ill summerize it with that the LS1 brought the small block chevy into the 21st century. The LS1 broke the 300 barrier for the fbodies and gave them up to 325hp, and put the Vette to 350hp. Then there was a spin off much like with the LT1/LT4 with the LS1, and it spun off the LS6. The LS6 used the same displacement, but produced much more hp. In 2001, it made 385hp, and in 02-04 the LS6 makes 405hp. The LS6 engine can only be found in the Corvette Z06 performance model.
The LS1/LS6 engines are on there way out, and so brings in the 4th generation of small block engines. The brand new Corvette C6 or 6th generation Corvette has the LS2. The LS2 increases displacment to 364cubic inches or 6.0 liters. It is said to make 400hp, but chances are that its very underated and that it produces more like 420hp. This will be the base engine for the new Corvette.

Ok, now thats plenty of history on all modern GM V8 engines from the past 20 years or so. Now for the serious part.
Please listen to us. Research more into the engines you want to use. Your dad sounds like a cool guy, and Im sure he will help you out with any questions. You also can pick the brains of people on message boards for info. Read books, pick up a few mags to read, and reasearch on line.
You need to figure out exactly what you want out of this car before you go jumping into a car. Do you want a dragster, do you want a car that can stick it to a ferrari in the turns, do you want a numbers matching concorse car? You need to figure it out before you spend any money.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:45 PM

ok what do you recamand i do not want a carberator on my car so what do you think would be the best ??
Old 03-23-2004, 04:35 PM

Do you speak english ever? Sentences in English begin with capitol letters, end with some form of punctuation, and they are made of words composed in a coherent order.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by firebirdjosh
Do you speak english ever? Sentences in English begin with capitol letters, end with some form of punctuation, and they are made of words composed in a coherent order.
that's capitAl
capitol is washington d.c.-like
Old 03-23-2004, 10:44 PM

Whoa dude, CALI REALLY cares about your motor, you MUST have the motor intended for your car, or a motor that is NEWER than your car, AND, it must meet emission standards for the newer year after that. Your best bet for power would be doing the smog legal mods to your current engine, not to mention it would yield a lot more power than the vette motor.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:39 PM

well i want to make my 87 fast car and not with some stock 350 carb so what is the best way
Old 03-24-2004, 12:30 AM

well i want to make my 87 fast car and not with some stock 350 carb so what is the best way
Dude, what do you want to do with the car! Did you read my post at all? Figure out what you want to do first, then we can talk about a good plan on how you should go about doing it.

Quick Reply: heres an idea