3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

High Performance Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 02:36 PM

Question High Performance Water Pump

I'll be buying a high flow water pump later this year and I've narrowed it down to a few choices. But I would like a recommendation from you guys and girls. I am trying to decide between a Stewart Stage 2, Edelbrock Victor Series, and a Flowkooler.

Which one would you pick and why, I have issues with low RPM running hot. If you feel one is better than the other and what advantages one model has over the other.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:05 PM

Re: High Performance Water Pump

teh stewart is an excellant product. they are efficiant, flow well, and live for many years.
personally, if i were in your shoes i woudl consider an electric water pump. they release some wasted hp and they are perfectly reliable. many even come with warranties of 5 years. just run a power feed to a switched source and ground it to the block and you are good to go.

later
tim
Old 03-03-2005, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the response, but my vehicle is an occasional use vehicle and not designed for racing or track, just leisurely driving, I'll think I'll go with the Stewart, based off of your opinion.

Anybody else out there have feedback??
Old 03-03-2005, 11:12 PM

What is wrong with installing a electric pump even for occasional driving? Besides that if you are wanting to dress up the engine carpartment I think that would be a plus.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:38 PM

i run an electric water pump, they're not "race only" pieces technology has come a long way on them
Old 03-04-2005, 12:57 AM

Electric pumps are very streetable. They are constantly flowing what your belt driven unit would at a higher RPM which would effectively solve your low RPM heat problem. Go with the stewart if you are set on it but an electric CSI would be best.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:29 PM

IMHO the only thing really wrong with electric water pumps on street cars is the issue of belt routing. If you're using a V-belt setup or aftermarket brackets you'll probably be ok, but with the factory serpentine setup I'd think it would be a pain to try to get enough contact area on all the pulleys.

Anyone have a good solution to this issue? It's the only thing that's kept me from going electric.

FWIW I like the Stewart pumps as well.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:37 PM

You might want to check your state laws on running an electric pump some state forbid them. A lot of people would probably be supprised by the differance the stock pump will cool just by adding a Anti-cavitation plate to it. They are cheap and relativly simple to add and will improve the cooling almost as well as a higher flowing pump.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:31 PM

Edelbrock Victor here. Just bought another one since I'm switching from Reverse rotation to standard. Works good but then I never really had any problems with a stock pump either.

Check your base timing. Too much and you will see overheating problems along with ghost white spark plugs..
Old 03-04-2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by IROC-T
You might want to check your state laws on running an electric pump some state forbid them.
Why is this?
Old 03-04-2005, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by transxtreme
Why is this?
Has to do with emission controls(smog laws). The computer requires emission controls to respond a certian way(heat),and if you change to manuel system you defeat the system ,hence against the law. If you have lacks emission laws in your state and feel you really need to spend money,go ahead and switch it over,you Will stay cooler,but for about $5(anti cavitation plate) and a few hours work you can increase your cooling to above adiquit,and spend the money elsewhere! If your going to be spending a lot of time at the track and pushing HIGH ponies then you really,really need an electric pump, if not your wasting money. I can see a highflo pump on these cars if your pushing out a few horses and your running warm,or you spend a lot of your time in heavy traffic,BUT it may NOT be nessary either(back to the ACP).
Old 03-06-2005, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I'll stick with the Stewart, I really don't like playing with wiring and I since I have the old style v-belts it is less messing around that I have to do.

I appreciate all the responses...