3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Hiya, I have a question ^_^

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 02:07 AM

Smile Hiya, I have a question ^_^

Hi, I just bought a 1986 Camaro from a gimp in sacramento (I hope you read this Gimp, you car sucks)

But beyond all that....

I Figured it would be a nice restoration, it has a straight body, and a good engine, everything nice but the interior and the radio/ speakers, so I bought all the interior things, and new speakers, thats where it got all messed up and stupid...

The guy put tiny speakers in replacement of the original 4 by 6ers in the front (in the dash)
So I bought stock size speakers to put back in, I stuck one in, it was all good, minus alittle static, and noise, but they were only 35 watt speakers and the volume was up high ~_^

So I installed the other one, and everything was good, both were playing, and it sounded good.

I pulled the headliner off, then I popped the trunk and stuck my tool box in there, turned off the radio, and the car, went inside and got a drink, I came back out, threw the headliner away, went to the car, started the car up, and went to pop the trunk, the button didn't work, I tapped the horn to get my girlfriends attention afterwards, but the horn no longer worked, I opened the door, and the interior light didn't work anymore either (the damned dummy alarm still worked though), I talked to my girlfriend, asked her to call her dad (he knows how to do this kind of stuff alittle better then me) but he wasn't home, and I hate asking him for help, so I went back to the car, and noticed that the timer on my radio wasn't on when I hit the button, I turned the car on to see if that was the problem, but no, I tried to turn the radio on, nothing happened, so I opened the door, and the dang dummy alarm came blasting out of all my speakers, its like the dummy alarm is attacted to my stereo, and I can't turn the radio on, I can raise the volume, but I don't get channels, and the clock doesn't come up, just the 'BAHHH' of the dummy alarm, then static, and a loud pop when I step on the brake, help me, I seriously have never heard of this kind of problem, I figure it might be a crossed wire, but where? I only installed two speakers!

Err, I know that was long, I am really interested in fixing this car, as it is an important car, so to cut it all short.

::What I Did::
1) Installed 2 speakers in my dash

2) removed my headliner (and took off all the trim holding it on)

::Problem::
1) Now my hatch button doesn't work, my horn doesn't work, my radio doesn't work, my interior cab light doesn't work, and the light by the fuse box doesn't work. it all worked before I put the speakers in.

2) I have the 'Baaaaaaaaah' sound (when you leave your door open) coming through all of my speakers and a poping sound when I step on the brake.

::What I've done::
1) I removed the speakers, but still nothing worked in the car, including the radio.

2)Removed the radio, but nothing works still....

::My Specs::
A 1986 Camaro base model v8 carb. 5 spd.

Stock radio, The Delco Cassette am/fm radio.

manual door locks, and windows.
Electric hatch release..... thats about it for electric... minus the basics (lights, wheels, engine ^_~)

I really need help.

+=-KarmaCult-=+
Old 06-23-2002, 03:55 AM

blown fuse

or maybe a splice in a wire causing it to ground, or just a plain bad ground.

------------------
Nick Silver @ <A HREF="http://www.iroczone.com" TARGET=_blank>
www.iroczone.com </A>

1990 IrocZ28 B2L
Mods: hmmmm yup I gots parts...
Old 06-23-2002, 04:11 AM

Thanks ^_^
I'll check the fuses tomarrow and post back, hopefully your right.
As fo the split wire, thats whats wierd, this all happened because I pulled the tabs off one set of speakers, and put them on another, I didn't do anything to the wires except take off a snipit of speaker wire the last guy used to extend the wiring.

Welp, I'll post on what it was tomarrow if I can, not to many places open on sunday ^_^

+=-KarmaCult-=+

------------------
1986 Camaro V8 5 spd.
No mods yet
Just trying to get the electric to work
Going to make a site soon
Old 06-23-2002, 10:40 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CustomX:
blown fuse

or maybe a splice in a wire causing it to ground, or just a plain bad ground.

</font>
I agree...check your accessory fuse. That powers your interior lights and power hatch. When you remove the headliner it's real easy to short the wires and blow the acc fuse. Don't ask me how I know.

------------------
1989 IROC-Z, ZZ3 shortblock with some bolt ons.
13.20 @ 108.69, 2.2 60'