3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

holley stealth ram vs. mini ram

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:02 AM

holley stealth ram vs. mini ram

i am debating on getting the HSR or the mini ram. i was wondering if the mini ram is still a good option with the price difference. i am looking for huge power gains, great quality, ease of installation, etc. by the way, i am running a 350 tpi and the LT4 hotcam kit will be going in. i am unsure on what head work will be done at this time.

if you have any suggestions about what heads or a different cam or any other suggestions. i am wanting this car to run mid 12's. slicks will be used. how much cash does it usually take to get there by going this route? any suggestions would be great.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:36 AM

i'd go MR... might cost more than the HSR, but it'll pull just a little bit more power up on top... that and it looks nicer than the HSR
Old 12-30-2003, 07:34 AM

Go with the Miniram, I did! I have the Miniram, LT4 Hotcam kit, WP heads, etc.. I am hoping for 12's on sticky tires as well. Hoping for 11's with my nitrous kit. The installation of the Miniram was easy, it looks better than the Holley, and it gives more power up top. Go for the Miniram.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:39 AM

It all depends on the combonation. Decide what heads you want and where you want the power to peak first. Also, looks are subjective, I wouldnt choose an intake based on how people think it looks.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:24 AM

Between your two--Stealth Ram.

The MiniRam is way overpriced to start. And if I'm not mistaken, an LT1 Intake performs almost identically, but can be had for $400 painted/prepped from John at www.lt1intake.com I'd seriously look into that. Good luck though either way you'll have a blast!

-Corey
Old 12-30-2003, 02:06 PM

someone mentioned it earlier its all about where you want your power band to be. If this is going to be a relative daily driver or weekend warrior id go with the stealth ram because its going to result in a more torquey intake. If all you want is sheer performance regardless of where it is in the power band go with the mini-ram youre not going to make more power any other way.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Rippin92RS
Between your two--Stealth Ram.

The MiniRam is way overpriced to start. And if I'm not mistaken, an LT1 Intake performs almost identically, but can be had for $400 painted/prepped from John at www.lt1intake.com I'd seriously look into that. Good luck though either way you'll have a blast!

-Corey

hey shane, you could just buy an LS1 and not worry about it.

or you could buy my LT1 and once again not have to worry about it. considering we both know how my LT1 runs.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:09 PM

MR pulls more RPMS than the LT1 intake, and pulls a little more power top end than the LT1 if im not mistaken

I emailed some dude asking him if he had anything that would help me pick between the HSR and the MR... and here's why i picked the MR.

www.djhaf.com/dyno.jpg

this is all from a computer dyno program... in the pic, if im not mistaken, current = ported tpi base and runners

I still say go with the MR
Old 12-30-2003, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by dj haf
MR pulls more RPMS than the LT1 intake, and pulls a little more power top end than the LT1 if im not mistaken
Even when ported?

Don't get me wrong, the Miniram is sweet but if it's only a couple RPM or HP, I don't think it's worth the extra $800.

-Corey
Old 12-30-2003, 02:56 PM

I think dj's dyno graph proves my point...go with the Miniram. And no, a LT1 intake does not perform the same as the Miniram. The Miniram gives more power up top, and torque down below. Go with the Miniram.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:51 PM

I wonder how they would plug in parameters for the intakes for the Analyzer Programs? runner length, width, cfm's???
Was that making near 500HP!? That's very interesting...
Old 12-30-2003, 06:45 PM

in order to feel the full effects of either intake, you need to know that your stock heads aren't sufficient enough. get yourself a set of AFR 195 heads, a cam that pulls power up to 6500 rpms, and a MR, and no one will be able to touch you im waiting till i have enough flow for all 3 of them, and a little extra money just incase there's something else i need to get that i didn't put in the picture.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by dj haf
in order to feel the full effects of either intake, you need to know that your stock heads aren't sufficient enough. get yourself a set of AFR 195 heads, a cam that pulls power up to 6500 rpms, and a MR, and no one will be able to touch you im waiting till i have enough flow for all 3 of them, and a little extra money just incase there's something else i need to get that i didn't put in the picture.

that sounds good, but my friend is on a budget. we want a cam that you can hear, but not extremely aggressive. the hotcam kit seemed good since it came with what we were looking for. we just don't want it to be extremely choppy. this car won't be drove every day and it won't be strictly a race car. we are trying to make it still be streetable but quick enough to have fun at the track. also, we both know the afr's are going to cost. we were thinking about just getting his near fully ported, but that was just an option. we will still consider your suggestion, but we are still in school and money doesn't grow on trees.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:15 PM

that dyno graph says it all. Notice how the mini-ram only makes more power from 4500-7000 rpms. How high do you plan on reving the engine? Because if youre keeping it around 5000-5500 rpms the mini-ram is probably a waste of money because the stealth ram makes more power through the mid range.

I would take it with a grain of salt though i would have expected the mini-ram to have a larger amount of gain over the stealth ram then what is showed there and that is just a computer generation. I would expect larger gains then what is shown, so who the hell knows really.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:34 PM

here's some actual dyno off mike davis' car between the MR and HSR with the LT4 hotcam. the only difference is the MR had ZZ4 heads and the HSR has the AFR 190:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/winter01/dyno/

and here's where a guy swapped from the superram to the lt1 intake.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0803phr_beast/

and graph here. http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec..._beast17_z.jpg

the lt1 lost bunches below 5000 rpm where it finally starts outpulling the supperam.

Last edited by mrr23; 12-31-2003 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: holley stealth ram vs. mini ram