3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

HOw can I change my Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 07:58 PM

Too late for this post but a poor job at making an access panel could result in a bad situation if the car is ever rear ended badly enough to rupture the fuel tank, causing the panel to come loose and let raw fuel into the car, need I say more...BAD BAD IDEA
Old 01-11-2003, 09:08 PM

What the hell??

LOL I cant beilieve someone looked back and got this. No bro I dont have a picture of nor a scanner for that matter. And I agree with these guys dont do it unless you really really have too. Some ***** welded my exhaust up instead of using clamps like he was supposed to so cutting up my exhaust to enable me to drop the tank above it plus the new fuel pump and all would have cost me more money than I had at the time and this is my daily driver so I didnt have time to let it sit around, I have a job and have to commute to college on occasion.

Its not a pretty process, I actually ended up making another shortcut because of this that I will explain later. First of all you have to pull your carpet up and cut a hole in the middle of where the T-Top bag would sit to get to the pump. But thats not all you can access the pump easy enough but the way the lines are run you dont have the clearance to pull the pump all of the way out, you have to cut a rectangular hole moving back towards the front of the car to give yourself clearance. You will beable to see exaclty how to do this 2nd cut when you have the 1st one so you can see the lines. I didnt make the 2nd cut, I severed the metal fuel lines so I could just pull the pump straight out and when I put it back together I put a piece of rubber fuel line in between each of the lines to put them back together. Even though it all works well and nothing goes wrong I still feel like I do when i put cheat codes in a video game.

And like ZZ4 said if you do do this against all these reccomendations rivet the unholy hell outta the piece of metal you use to cover the whole, you dont want this thing coming loose.