3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

How Fast can a 3rd gen go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 01:38 AM

How Fast can a 3rd gen go?

I was just wondering how fast my 86 camaro would beable to go with a 305 to 350 (leaning towards the 350 no questions about that )
I was just wondering because I have been abit unsettled about actually fixing up my car for 'racing' because I've already spent 2k just keeping it together, and when I do get an engine, and a tranny, that will be it, I can't get any power adders because they are to expensive for my taste, and budget.

So how fast can you make a 3rd gen go with all motor?
I mean, are there any really kick *** ways to build it up to make it just eat the ground its driving on? or will my camaro always be slow without power adders? I'm just worried because the car is so heavy, even if I shed some pounds on the car, its still heavy, so is there a way to make an engine actually haul *** with all that waight?

Ah, and a note before anyone says it, I am redoing the whole suspention and chassis, making it all stronger, thats where most of my money is going, just saying it so noone says I should do the suspention first and engine last

Old 01-13-2003, 04:11 AM

It can go as fast as you can spend money on it. Kind of an odd questions, need much more info to provide an answer. Like how much you a re willing to spend? And for the price to build a very mean N/A engine you could build a decent N/A engine and spray it and come out at less money. So I don't know about not buying a power adder.

Give more details if you want an answer worth a ****.

Martin
Old 01-13-2003, 06:21 AM

Seen them go over 200 MPH with no power adders if you have the money and the ***** to do it.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:28 AM

speed is a factor of cash
Old 01-13-2003, 09:33 AM

Ah, let me try to sum it up abit better

I was out the door when I wrote that

Ok, I'm buying your basic 350, it has 300 to 350 hp (can't remember, but somewhere around there) you know, your basic crate.
Its all pre assembled and everything, so I personally don't have to do anything to it unless I want to.

But heres the thing, I want to get as much as possible out of it as I can, but I need a tranny and a rear end also..... and my Girlfriend wants a Jeep Wrangler, see, and I want to buy her one, but I want her to help, cause I can't just give it to her, as thats what always happens, I just give everything to her....

And thats where the question comes from, she knows I'm getting an engine, and a tranny, and suspension work, and hopefully a new, or slightly used rear end, and she thinks it will all cost about 3k, which it wont, so if I throw a charger or Nitrous in with all that, she will wonder whats up with not having a wrangler.

Shes already pissy about me spending all my cash from my accident on 'another 3rd gen that will just break down' See, so this is how its all looking from my point of view:

$1700 Engine
$1500 Tranny (about I would figure, havent looked into 6 spds yet)
$1500 Suspension
$1200 Rear End
----------------------
$5900

Simple right?
But this is what she thinks it will actually be like:

$1700 Engine
$ 0 Tranny ("you dont need to replace everything")
$ 300 Suspension (same as above)
$ 500 Rear end ("They can't be that expensive")
-------------------
$2500

But she also sees it like this:

$4000 - $8000 Wrangler
$0 Camaro
-------------------------------
Alittle bit more but we will have two cars, and one will have better gas milage (because the camaro is 'running', on its last leg yes, but it is running)

So what I'm wondering is how far can I go without making it looking like I'm actually doing anything, you know, keep it all sleeper and such.

Cause I want to get her the car, but a persons 1st car is important, and I want her to work towards it, like I did, and not just get it.

so now that I'm thinking of it, should I spend the money on the engine? tranny? suspension? which one would make my car go faster? (cause they all play a part, as a horrible suspension will make it dangerous to speed up, and a bad tranny will simple blow up if something goes wrong)

Because I will have an extra 1k for my car, thats if I don't get a paint job, so how much do you think I could get done with that?

And also, the above prices are just estimates, I havent really looked around yet, I know the engine price though, thats the only one I'm sure about

Any help would be good, I'm just worried that I will sink all my money into my car to simply hear my girlfriend say "I told you so" as my tranny blows up on I-5 while taking her to work, I want to make it all solid, so when I show the final 'product' of all my money, she will simply put her foot in her mouth and be quiet

Don't get me wrong, I love her to death, but ever since I got into the accident with my 91 firebird, shes hated f-bodies, shes not snobby, she just doesn't understand that a car can be a hobby.

So I guess my real question is, How solid can you make a 3rd gen without your girlfriend finding out?

Hope all this babble helps abit.

Old 01-13-2003, 10:57 AM

If you are on a tight budget, I would highly recommend staying away from the 6 spd swap. Heres what just a few things have cost me:

Rebuilt t-56 ( with bellhousing)
$2,000

B&M Ripper shifter
$170

Centerforce Dual Fric Clutch
$569

Custom Crossmember
$110

Cable X speedo adapter
$300

Flywheel
$170

Clutch Fork
$50

and the list goes on and on......I would just get a World Class built T5.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:10 PM

Yea, but I'd rather spend alittle bit more, rather then later

if I can get a strong 6 spd that can take anything I throw at it, then I would rather spend abit more on it rather then by a 5 spd and just have it break after I actually stick some poer behind it.
Now I may be talking out of my ***, because I'm not to smart about tranny's. but I havent really seen, or heard of a powerful 5 spd, if there is one, and it will save abit of money, then I will look into it, as saving money is good.

But again, I'm worried that if I save abit of money now and get lower quality stuff, then I will only have to replace it over and over again, I want a solid combo of parts for the car that will only need minor maintence (not low maintenance in general, just lower maintenence then my car right now)

If anyone has anymore tips, I will take them I have copied what you have said into my 'car fixing' folder and will do it, but I'm abit scared, as I don't know where to go with it.

Old 01-13-2003, 05:43 PM

A 'basic' 350 crate can have as little as 250 hp.

If you are getting just a 'basic' 350, and not planning on any mods soon, then the T56 is overkill. You could run your 5spd for now...then save for when/if it breaks.

BTW, just curious but.... since when does a girlfriend tell a guy what to do with HIS money??? Unless I'm married, when it comes to money:

"I make it, I spend it"

I know you love her and all, but geez. You must be young.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:06 PM

Ah, hee hee

I've been with her for 3 years, and we are planning on being married in 2 months
And as for the young thing, I'm only 19 I want to finish my car before I am 25 so I can send it to all the car mags for their whatcha macallit for people under 25
See, the only reason why I'm trying to meet her equal with all of this is because she 'is' going to be my wife fairly soon

The engine I am buying is 350 hp went over and asked today, see, but overtime I'm planning on making it very powerful, and possibly adding a Nitrous kit, so I need a tranny to hold up, do you think my stock 5 spd would hold up 350 hp pretty good? How much more could I add before I need a new tranny?
I'm just worried because my car is going to hit 200k miles soon (I think, the miles were set back afew times in its past, no clue what the miles are on it) And I'm not sure how much longer the whole car has left before everything just breaks on it because of old age

Old 01-13-2003, 09:12 PM

I've been to a buck35, and stopped b/c of a nasty tire balance problem. And ran a 13.96 with my stock long block (came with275/300hp#083 service heads) More $$=More speed tho...

Just entirely rebuilt a 700R4 using the TCI Super Kit(RV/street/strip shift kit included) and video, I'd recommend the video by far to any books.
It was a simple, step-by-step, piece of cake. I'll admit I had parts all over the garage, but they were grouped together. And I could keep rewinding the video and rewatch the critical stuff.
FYI: get or make a tool to slide-stretch the neopreme seals onto the input shaft or they WILL roll and deform, making life hard on the reassembly...The only other special tool needed is a springcompressor for one of the clutch packs in the drum. You can also file a screwdriver on the side to grab the snap-rings and remove them easier.
Total cost less than $250!!!!!!!

Last edited by 90rocz; 01-13-2003 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:54 PM

you have much to learn......

i wish you great luck, as to the question of how fast they can go. i'll let you know soon.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:07 PM

Not trying to rip on your girl or anything but I too was in almost the same situation 1 year ago.My girl did'nt want me to spend money on my cars because it was'nt getting spent on her.That is what made me happy working on and fixing up my car (86 T/A at the time).She did'nt care at all that I was'nt happy.Needless to say we have been split up for one year and she is engaged to some guy now and is gettin married in June.She talked me into selling my T/A I was just stupid.Just be careful you both have to compromise or niether of you will be happy.In my case she is gone now and my car is too, but I still have my pride and joy 91 Convertible that she tried to talk me out of.I gave her a BIG HELL NO on that one. Good luck

James
Old 01-13-2003, 11:11 PM

best thing you ever did...........well next to buying the 91!

understandable if your spending is out of control.......but, very rarely is it ever the case.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:22 PM

Re: Ah, hee hee

Originally posted by KarmaCult
I've been with her for 3 years, and we are planning on being married in 2 months
And as for the young thing, I'm only 19 I want to finish my car before I am 25 so I can send it to all the car mags for their whatcha macallit for people under 25
See, the only reason why I'm trying to meet her equal with all of this is because she 'is' going to be my wife fairly soon

The engine I am buying is 350 hp went over and asked today, see, but overtime I'm planning on making it very powerful, and possibly adding a Nitrous kit, so I need a tranny to hold up, do you think my stock 5 spd would hold up 350 hp pretty good? How much more could I add before I need a new tranny?
I'm just worried because my car is going to hit 200k miles soon (I think, the miles were set back afew times in its past, no clue what the miles are on it) And I'm not sure how much longer the whole car has left before everything just breaks on it because of old age

I am married and she pays for HER own vehicle, she drives, she pays, I fix. Simple.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:01 AM

as long as she holds her end of the deal and fixes other things.

Quick Reply: How Fast can a 3rd gen go?