3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

I Got $2000..what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 11:57 AM

Re: I Got $2000..what can I do?

Would the engines you have list there on Ebay be good for a TPI car? Am I looking for a specific cam range to work weith fuel injection? I can probalby afford the 383 short blocks and then I just have to come up with the extra money for heads.

Power is made in the heads, correct? So any standard 383 short block is ok? Im looking for atleast 350 to 400 to the wheels.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wishmaster
Would the engines you have list there on Ebay be good for a TPI car? Am I looking for a specific cam range to work weith fuel injection? I can probalby afford the 383 short blocks and then I just have to come up with the extra money for heads.

Power is made in the heads, correct? So any standard 383 short block is ok? Im looking for atleast 350 to 400 to the wheels.
I'm not too concerned about the cam because while it is out, you can stuff any cam you like into the SB.

More or less. You want the SB to be able to support the power and not fly apart. I would hope for forged pistons. Also you will need to find out the specs of the piston so you can calculate compresssion. More than 11:1 is not good.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Wishmaster

Short answers:

No, they are carbed longblocks if I remember correctly.
No.
No to your statement.
No, its made in the combinations of all your parts: heads, cam, and induction most notably. Heads are very important though, yes.
Not if your looking to do a simple swap, I don't think.
Then go with a carbed 383 or 406, but you're not going to make it with $2000. See my last post.

Long answer:

I don't know. I skipped the TPI years. But, if I were to guess, I would say no. I would seriously doubt your 305's computer and electronics and stuff would work with a 350/383/400/406, even if the intake bolted down.

But, you don't want it anyway in my opinion. One of the first things a lot of people do is tear all that **** out of there. Go carbed whether you keep your 305 or not. I had a friend with an '89 Z28 5-speed. The first thing he did was put an intake and carburetor on it. Then he put a set of headers (forget what kind), homemade duals, $1500 heads and a cam in it, and the car was bad as hell. I didn't have my Z (in sig) then, but it was a hair faster than my budget 383/TH350 '81 Cutlass.

Then his woman blew it up.

------

Posting on here is all well and good, but if I were you, my next step would be to call one of the camaroz28.com supporting vendors and tell them your story. Take what you've read here to an engine builder as a customer.