3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

I just need to rant about stupid designs on the third gens

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 06:22 AM

I just need to rant about stupid designs on the third gens

Has anyone ever noticed CAMAROS ARE NOT MADE TO BE TAKEN APART...

I mean anyone who has taken the fenders off knows it is the stupist setup...

Anyone who pulled a tranny and has underbody rust knows that the cheap plug to bolt setup just doesn't age well...

Taking the rear wiper off was a real pain because of the limited space...

How about adjusting your timing.. I got a special wrench now...

Taking off the ground effects was rather simple but gm did not seal anything very well so they all rusted...

what about changing #7 and 8 spark plugs... I learned there is a wire running near (forget which one is on passenger side i think it is 8) and it is very very live with no ignition (I figured that I didn't need to unhook the battery to change plugs, I mean what could happen) anyhow I grounded ratchet on some wire... got a bit of a jolt... OH yeah and speaking of electricity I almost electricuted myself once removing the battery..
Changing v belts on a carbed engine like mine is also a pain
I can only imagine the front and rear clips are a pain...

There are many things that do come out nice though such as: radio (doesn't go back in too well though), guages, door panels (after you get the power locks out and mirror adjustment too), tailights, headlights, hood, air cleaner, radiator (other than stupid hoses when the damn clamp is cross threaded and pointing the wrong way) alternater (as long as the bolt isn't cross threaded), chainging oil is a pleasure as long as you can find a way to get under the car..

K since I can't think of anything more to rant about I am done
Old 01-11-2003, 07:43 AM

Thumbs down

I have two Irocs and they are easy to work on.Go buy a 4th generation like I did then you know what a pain in the *** is.I sold it because it was awful to work on.....
Old 01-11-2003, 10:40 AM

No doubt! My IRoc is much easier to work on than my 4th gen.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:09 PM

I also agree with you guys, I had a '94Z28 prior to my '91Z. Much easier to work on 3rd gens.

If anyone thinks a 3rd gen is hard to work on, they should try working a Mazda or a Honda. Or any import for that matter, except for a Subaru, very easy to work on a Subaru. Perhaps I feel that way since I work at a Subaru dealer though.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:18 PM

it could be worse you could be trying to work on a ford. everything on a ford is extra work, nothing straight forward.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:37 PM

I did a cam swap on my 87' Iroc, PITA, to say the very least, at least when you take a 4th gen apart your taking apart an LT1 or LS1 which are producing monster power...my pathetic little TPI was the most annoying thing on earth. Car companies must get paid by tool companies to use EVERY kind of bolt size and head on a car, ahhh....back in the old days, 3/8" and 1/2" wrench took an entire engine apart....the good old days....
Old 01-11-2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by crakpotjoe
it could be worse you could be trying to work on a ford. everything on a ford is extra work, nothing straight forward.
Well, first off maybe you shouldn't be stoned when you're working on your car. Things seem to go easier for me that way

And as far as Fords being hard to work on, sorry...I've owned Mustangs and other Fords and they are easier to work on. The distributor is in the front, you never have to shim the starters, the radiator is easier to r&r, i could go on and on.

You guys seem to have little to no patience. The first order of business is safety, then having the right tools for the job, then making sure everything goes back like it came apart.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by IROC5.7TPI
Well, first off maybe you shouldn't be stoned when you're working on your car. Things seem to go easier for me that way

And as far as Fords being hard to work on, sorry...I've owned Mustangs and other Fords and they are easier to work on. The distributor is in the front, you never have to shim the starters, the radiator is easier to r&r, i could go on and on.

You guys seem to have little to no patience. The first order of business is safety, then having the right tools for the job, then making sure everything goes back like it came apart.
Well said, I just didn't put it that way. I do believe imports are rather annoying compared to american cars though.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:49 PM

While the thirdgen is much easier to work on than a 4thgen, I have to agree that some things are just plain not setup to be able to be reached/removed easily. I mean you'll have a bolt you need to remove and damn near no good way to remove it, because something is in the way at every angle. Just little things, I can't even think of anything specific off the top of my head, but everytime I work on the car I start to wonder if GM engineers didn't purposefully make it so you COULDN'T get to stuff easily, lol. I swear some of it looks like a freakin masterpiece of a plan to screw you, lol.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:00 PM

I know it is the same with all cars but the most I have ever done to a car is on my camaro... and damn it is a pain... even though it is a carb with a standard... I swear they are just trying to get their shops more money... all the companies... ONe day I'm building my own car from ground up!!!!!
Old 01-12-2003, 01:04 AM

You guys **** and moan about the little stuff, try working on airplanes for a living.
The Ford EFI has got to be the biggest engineering abortion to ever top an automobile engine. To do anything to the system or top of the engine you have to remove too much stuff and don't talk about valve cover gaskets. My son's 95 GT is such a pita, sensors under the fender. You have to jack the car and remove the fender liner to work on them. People talk about how bad the 700R4 is, that AODE really tames the Mustang. Ford should be ashamed to have their name on it. Oh and the factory headers I doubt if they flow as well as our cast manifolds with the one inch tubes and crush bends. No the 3rd gens really aren't that bad, sometimes you have to use a few choice words and move on.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:24 AM

The point is cars need to be designed with us in mind... I bet most engineers have never even worked on a car!!!
Old 01-12-2003, 05:03 AM

Some things are a PITA some things are easy. It takes time and the right tools is the key. But having all the tools is the trouble if you had to have every tool out there you might as well open a workshop. Having a hoist is a big help maybe one day I will buy one and have a huge garage to play around in. But having limited tools some tasks can be very tricky.

I had a problem with one bolt I was trying to remove on the back of the head when I was removing the pollution crap. I could not get to the stupid f*****. I left it on there and took it to the shop where my headers were being made up. Once it was on a hoist I could get to it easily.

The dash pad comes out very easy I like that design

Plugs are a PITA but I think they are a PITA on most cars anyway unless you have a 4 banger.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:30 AM

Try changing Spark plugs in a LT1 car. You think 3rd Gens are a pain in the butt. My husband had to take his car in to the dealership & have them do his 95 Z (of course it has headers on it now) .

We have 3 Camaros 2 3rd Gens & his 4th Gen. I will work on the 3rd Gens all day long. I will not work in the engine compartment on the 4th Gen.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:46 AM

You think plugs are hard to get to on 3rd. gens you should try it on some of the FWD V-6 cars!!!!, you have to take the engine mount loose and pull the engine forward just to get to the rear plugs!!! 3rd. gens are easy to work on compared to 90% of other cars out there.

Quick Reply: I just need to rant about stupid designs on the third gens