3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

I just need to rant about stupid designs on the third gens

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by ZZ430RS
You think plugs are hard to get to on 3rd. gens you should try it on some of the FWD V-6 cars!!!!, you have to take the engine mount loose and pull the engine forward just to get to the rear plugs!!! 3rd. gens are easy to work on compared to 90% of other cars out there.
The plug changes on 3.1 V6's are no big deal... I have a 94 Lumina that I just tuned up. Unbolt the two dogbone mounts, pull engine forward with pry bar, insert one bolt in dogbone and you're there. Takes about a whole 3-5 minutes extra and the rear plugs/wires are cake to do.

IMO some of you guys have too little patience. Either that or you like to hear yourselves complain
Old 01-12-2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by iroczinoz
Some things are a PITA some things are easy. It takes time and the right tools is the key. But having all the tools is the trouble if you had to have every tool out there you might as well open a workshop. Having a hoist is a big help maybe one day I will buy one and have a huge garage to play around in. But having limited tools some tasks can be very tricky.

Plugs are a PITA but I think they are a PITA on most cars anyway unless you have a 4 banger.
Exactly what the dealerships have in house we may have to buy for a one time use. It isn't worth it to have every tool, but a good mix of the most common stuff. I've got $20,000 in tools in my home garage and I still could use more (like a lift). The right tools make any job more a pleasure to do. Just doing an oil change on my wife's Contour is a cluster f**k the filter always dumps on you. I'll take my Z any day over a FWD of any kind.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:39 PM

Every car has it's ups and downs to work on.It's just a fact.I have two 91's. A 91 Z28 and a 91 Mustang LX. They are both (IMO) very easy to work on.I agree sometimes it's a few choice words and move on.AS imports go.Big PITA unless it's a Soobie.I have owned 2 Subarus and they are pretty straight forward and easy to work on. I started changing out an alternator on a Nissan Pathfinder at work on Saturday.BIG PITA have to do it from the bottom,no room to work,and can't see **** with everything in the way.Even on a hoist it is a nightmare.Just remember when you are wrenching on your 3rd gen that some people out there have it alot worse than we do.I won't even get into the 4th gen debate............

James
Old 01-12-2003, 11:47 PM

Yeah well.... I just redesign things I don't like... I don't think my fenders are gunna be put back on the same way they were when I took them off..
Old 01-13-2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by 92BLKL98
The right tools make any job more a pleasure to do. Just doing an oil change on my wife's Contour is a cluster f**k the filter always dumps on you.
$20,000 in tools and you still don't know how to use a screwdriver to spin a filter off
Old 01-13-2003, 05:17 PM

Re: I just need to rant about stupid designs on the third gens

Originally posted by stonedchihuahua
what about changing #7 and 8 spark plugs... I learned there is a wire running near (forget which one is on passenger side i think it is 8) and it is very very live with no ignition (I figured that I didn't need to unhook the battery to change plugs, I mean what could happen) anyhow I grounded ratchet on some wire... got a bit of a jolt...
That would be the HOT wire to the starter. It's been in that location on SBC's for a LOOOOOONG time. Don't worry, I did the same thing myself once.

And the V-belts... well, they DID fix this issue by going to serpentine belts, right? :P
Old 01-13-2003, 07:07 PM

Well yeah and I am considering doing a serpentine belt on my 400 when I build it... thing is I am not exactly sure how to set it up
Old 01-13-2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Marc 85Z28
$20,000 in tools and you still don't know how to use a screwdriver to spin a filter off
Obviously either you don't know WTF you're talking about or you've never worked on this Ford. I probably started turning wrenches when you were in diapers. After 25 years of working on airplanes I think I have more experience turning wrenches than most folks.

Last edited by 92BLKL98; 01-13-2003 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by stonedchihuahua
Well yeah and I am considering doing a serpentine belt on my 400 when I build it... thing is I am not exactly sure how to set it up
Just swipe the whole assy (brakets, pullies, etc) off a later model that comes with the serp setup.

Then buy the shorter serp belt (so you can leave off the air pump) and follow the instructions as outlined on thirdgen.org.

HTH!
Old 01-13-2003, 10:49 PM

Yeah I gotta find some first... ALl the camaros around here are striped... apparently there is a yard that has alot of them half an hour away but I have only heard from my dumbass friends who don't seem to know anything about finding used parts (they buy all their parts NEW...)
Old 01-14-2003, 07:05 AM

I thought my f-bodies were tough to work on until I had to work on my 89 S15 Jimmy. That piece of crap has the most ***-backard engineering that I've ever had the displeasure of having to deal with.

There are a lot of difficult procedures associated with the f-body, but overall it's a lot easier to work on than other cars I've had to deal with. Fortunately I've never had to do mechanical work on a 4th gen. I will say that body panel removal is a little easier on the 4th gens.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by IROC5.7TPI
The plug changes on 3.1 V6's are no big deal... I have a 94 Lumina that I just tuned up. Unbolt the two dogbone mounts, pull engine forward with pry bar, insert one bolt in dogbone and you're there. Takes about a whole 3-5 minutes extra and the rear plugs/wires are cake to do.

IMO some of you guys have too little patience. Either that or you like to hear yourselves complain
Ok, there's 1 example of an easy plug change. I'm sure we can come up with 50 difficult ones. Take the Toyota camary for example. You need to remove the intake manifold to do spark plugs.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:42 AM

Two Words
Fuel Pump

Oh and the rear header bolts =
Old 01-14-2003, 02:23 PM

The fuel pump isn't that bad if you have access to a hoist, air tools, and possibly a torch. I've seen them done in less than 3 hours and the book calls for 5.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by IROC5.7TPI
The fuel pump isn't that bad if you have access to a hoist, air tools, and possibly a torch. I've seen them done in less than 3 hours and the book calls for 5.

Yea I can see that with a hoist, I have everything but that, I did mine in about 3 hours but I used the unpopular cut the hole method

Quick Reply: I just need to rant about stupid designs on the third gens