3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

I just need to rant about stupid designs on the third gens

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 10:10 PM

I have worked on a lot of different cars which are more difficult to work on that the thirdgens, however, my Z is a PITA to work on! I have replacedthe engie, tranny, subframes..ect..ect..ect! Yes, they are a pita to work on due to the limited space!
Old 01-15-2003, 12:54 AM
Banned

I have seen some wierd stuff that you almost swear that someone purposely made it difficult to work on.

IMO, the cars are designed to be assembled easily. I.E> at the factory with the engine out, you could assemble everything. However, when the car is assembled, life becomes difficult. Of course that is your problem because GM, Ford or DaimlerChrysler has already got your money. They are making it cheap for them to assemble.

Just my $0.02
Old 01-15-2003, 01:23 PM

I had a 88 Chevrolet Pickup before I bought my 3rd gen.. It had a 350 TBI and a th400 tranns.. I learned alot on that truck.. then applied much of what I learned to the camaro.. Most of everything I have ever worked on was a pain.. Change the water pump on a ford.. if you don't do it right something mess's up the bottom of the oil pan.. It's nice to have the distributor in the front, but once I set mine I don't usually mess with it again.. Fords use those weird fuel clamps, almost everything is metric.. I find that a 10mm socket and a 1/2, 9/16, 7/16, does almost everything on my camaro.. It's not too hard to work on.. Changed my fuel pump in three hours.. Even fixed what I call " a Design Flaw " and moved the pump out of the tank..It all is a job, I didn't get into cars cause it was easy to work on them, I got into them cause I like to have made something.. If you want to go fast but not endure the pain and frustrations of working on cars.. Then pay someone to work on your car, don't feel the connection, when someone wants you to do a crazy burnout don't think of all the time spent in the rear end, don't think of the time you spent choosing rims.. Just blow your money out the T-Tops and drive away.. But I wouldn't ever say that working on a 3rd gen is that difficult..
Old 01-15-2003, 05:13 PM

That last post reminds me... as a rule of thumb if your 97 or older GM car needs work

Almost everything is metric, unless it bolts to the engine. If its bolted to the engine the fastner is SAE.

Hope this helps some....
Old 01-15-2003, 10:42 PM

I agree with Ucantcme in the above post.There are so many people who take their cars to tuner shops and have them "Built".They will never know the feelings that the wrenchead feels when beating the p!ss out of his/her car,or just out on a nice cruise.What is funny is those people try to talk the talk but when they break who do they run to?? I find it relaxing and enjoyable to work on my 3rd gen and my Mustang. At least no one can take that feeling from me.

James
Old 01-15-2003, 10:59 PM

Usually I enjoy working on it but I did not enjoy removing the fender
Old 01-18-2003, 11:37 AM

I've worked on my IROC, my SS and my brother's 94 LT1. The LT1 was the most difficult spark plug change I've ever done. The IROC comes next. The LS1 is the easiest to work on IMHO. (That fifth mounting bolt on the passenger side coil pack is a bitch though).
Old 01-18-2003, 08:58 PM
Banned

Aren't the 4th gens harder with half the engine covered up?
Old 01-19-2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by 92BLKL98
Obviously either you don't know WTF you're talking about or you've never worked on this Ford. I probably started turning wrenches when you were in diapers. After 25 years of working on airplanes I think I have more experience turning wrenches than most folks.
Yeah, being a Ford Tech for over 4 years and working on more of those 2.5 engines than you'll ever know...

To remove the filter, use a screwdriver and let filter drop - dumbass Experience doesn't mean a thing if you've been doing it wrong the whole time.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:15 PM

i personally think that 3rd gens are pretty easy to work on compared to other cars, especially imports. I wont even go near an import engine compartment.

imports=
Old 01-19-2003, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Marc 85Z28
Yeah, being a Ford Tech for over 4 years and working on more of those 2.5 engines than you'll ever know...

To remove the filter, use a screwdriver and let filter drop - dumbass Experience doesn't mean a thing if you've been doing it wrong the whole time.
Look dipsh** you still **** oil all over the place. My Z doesn't do that. Sorry but being a Ford tech doesn't mean you know it all, even after 4 years you're still learning (some day you'll understand this learning concept). I've seen designs come and go through the years and these FWD cars the auto manufacturers shove down our throats is a money maker for them. Cheaper to build, maybe slightly more efficient but most of them aren't built to last. In 25 years most FWD's built today will be junk yard fodder. Most people will be glad to forget them, but at 25 years old cars like our F-bodies and yes guys the Mustang will still be sought after.
I wasn't trying to start a flame war but there is always some yahoo trying to be the trying to crap in someones cornflakes.
Gees this is rediculous. if you don't have something interesting to add cry some where else