3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

I need Head

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 10:54 PM

Post I need Head

EDIT sorry about the topic line, didn't realize i missed the 's'. I need suggestion on cylinder heads.
We're building a 350 thats bored 30 over. We're looking to make around 400-425 horsepower naturally aspirated. according to the machinist, he spec'd our cam and said it has the profile of the one he sells with his high performance kits that usually put out the 400 or so hp.. Now i need some recommendations on cylinder heads. I know i need 64cc chambers to get the 10.5:1 CR. I'm looking at the edelbrock performer RPM heads, with matching airgap manifold and 750cfm carb. I was just last week told by a friend to look into Vortech heads. are these just heads off a late model chevy vortech engine or is it an actual brand? I've also considered dart heads. The application is an 85 iroc thats gonna be put to street/strip use. thanks for your help and sorry about the book.

------------------
Tyler Parsons
'90 FZR 600 (for sale)
'85 IROC-Z
'94 Camaro 3.4L -160 degree stat, throttlebody bypass
'78 Blazer 350 (for sale)

[This message has been edited by blueirocz-28 (edited September 01, 2002).]
Old 09-02-2002, 12:01 AM

if your looking to save money without sacraficing performance go w/ the vortec heads. They are heads from GM performance parts. Note that they also need a intake to match the heads because the ports are different. I put these heads on my car a year ago and dont have any regrets. I paid 250$ each. Many articals, and people proclaim these are the best iron heads. CHP did an artical on a 383 strocker w/ vortec heads that put out i belive 495 horsepower at the cranks, im not exactly sure. Hope this helps

------------------
90 rs 305 tbi, Crane cam, comp roller rockers, vortec heads/high rise intake, Ported, TBI w/350 injectors, and all tbi goddies, custom computer chip, tpi computer, 700r4 rebuilt w/shift kit, b&M megashifter, K&N 14x4 open element, 4 3/4" cowl hood, Edelbrock TES headers, flowmasters, 3.23 posi, gutted cat, no smog/AC. Hopefully one day ill prove that 305 tbi arrt POS's, but i need to prove it to myself first

RIP our greatest Friend
September 29, 1966 - August 27, 2002
Camaro & Firebird
Old 09-02-2002, 03:08 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blueirocz-28:
EDIT sorry about the topic line, didn't realize i missed the 's'.
</font>
Don't be sorry. a little head is nice, a lot is better. More is usually better not always but really helps torque you over.

------------------
92BLKL98
'92 Black Z28 Hardtop w/Harwood 2" cowl ind. hood Modded 700R4, MSD
Ignition, March Underdrives, TPIS Fastpak, Ram air w/gutted filter box, SLP Prom, Flowmaster, & free mods, removed cats, Amsoil synthetic lubes, CE SFC's, Edelbrock STB,Spohn TA,Roadtech LCA's and Panhard Rod, Energy Susp., PST polygraphite bushings, KYB Shocks.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:15 AM

Don't waste your money on edelbrocks. I don't mean to **** off everyone that owns them but, they all know they are junk. At the very least spend the extra couple bucks and grab some trick flows. If you can afford a couple more bucks grab some AFR's. Cylinder heads are the last place you want skimp on money, they are where all the power is made.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:19 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

I owned Trick Flows before. When we took off the head because a broken valve spring and pushrod wear on the guideplates was discovered, we found that the entire set of valves wobbled in the guides. Their QC blows and not in the good way. I'd go with AFR
Old 09-02-2002, 01:23 PM

i have some vortecs i REALLY need to get rid of!!! i will sell them to ya for $490...INCLUDING SHIPPING!! these are brand new!!!!!

let me know...bkelley89z@cs.com

Brandon

[This message has been edited by pcolaIROC (edited September 02, 2002).]
Old 09-02-2002, 02:22 PM

cool guys, i have been thinkin to myself that edelbrocks are just the popular brand name, not performance after readin more and more. We really don't want to skimp in the heads, but we are on a tight budjet. What is the special intake for a set of vortech heads? I can still run the carb on it right? I've heard good things about the AFR's as well, but i think when i checked the price, it was a lil out of range. The trick flows, that leaves a big "hmmm" in my mind when i read about them, but they just don't seem to be 'quality' Today in our summit catalog, we found a set of world product cast iron heads. They fit in our budget and seem to leave room for upgrades at a decent price. The guy with the vortechs for sale. Have you had them checked for cracks, leaks, warpage, etc.? why you gettin rid of them? email me- tyler_parsons@hotmail.com

------------------
Tyler Parsons
'90 FZR 600 (for sale)
'85 IROC-Z
'78 Blazer 350 (for sale)
Old 09-02-2002, 02:46 PM

I have a set of the iron World Sportsman2's on my 350, and have been quite happy with them. I like the old school approach.

------------------
91 Formula
Sportsman II's, Edelbrock intake, Arizona S/M runners, blah, blah, blah.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:18 PM

i emailed ya about them. they have never been used and i am getting rid of them because i am pressed for cash to finish paying off school.

Brandon
Old 09-02-2002, 07:51 PM

Wink

When it comes to heads, you get what you pay for pretty much. AFR's, in my opinion, are the bests heads out there (and I don't even own a pair, yet). If money isn't an option, go for these, you won't be sorry
Old 09-02-2002, 11:00 PM

as for the trick flows, they had problems w/valve guide wear due to using iron valve guides instead of bronze in their first gen. heads. called G1's. the G2's fixed that problem w/bronze guides and also, put the intake valve back closer to stock angle to allow higher lifts w/regular pistons. I have the G1s and love them. but when I got them (used for $450) I disassembled them to inspect the valve guides and to port them. I figured I could replace the guides if need be for how cheap I got them.

anyways, the problem w/the vortec heads is you need specific intake and rockers. but if you dont have this stuff yet anyways, then its not that big of a deal. they do make the air gap for these heads now. you need self aligning rocker arms. which are alot more exp. then typical sm. chevy rockers.

the afr's are the best if you can afford them.
also think of the future. if you are planning on getting more wild later then the vortecs arent for you. they are great out of the box, but when compared w/other heads ported against ported, then there isnt a comparison.

check the sig. for my combo. there's def. more e.t. in this combo. as soon as I get my power brakes working again to get better launches and get my 60's back down, I know 12:50's wont be to hard. plus I havent played w/jets or timing at all yet. later chris

------------------
1986 Iroc Z
355, cleaned up trick flow twisted wedge G1 heads, 750 holley, 700r4, 10:1 compr., forged flat tops, solidcam .501I .510E, 4gen rear w/3:73 posi, girdle, and disc's, Edel. torker II, shift kit, 2500 stal, hedmann LT. headers, 4 gen seats, man. strg., lt1 starter, alum. w/p, msd 6al, coil, dist., mallory wires.
12.86 @109mph so far(still need fine tuning)

1995 z28,SS Hood, Iroc style spoiler, tints and black outs, 700r4,2400 act. stall speed,B&M hammer shifter, 17" budnick trilogy III wheels, 275/40 ZR17, 160 stat, man. cooling fan sw., homemaid CAI,1LE elbow, hypertech airfoil, t.b.bypass,!cat, flowmaster, !maf screen, relocated batt., 1LE front l.c.a.s', poly trans and torq.arm bushings, MSD 6AL, custom program, p&p maf, accel coil, and under drive pulley

mods that i have, just not on car yet:
msd wires, edelbrock mid. headers, edelbrock rpm catback
Old 09-03-2002, 10:57 AM

Just keep in mind stock vortec's springs only go up to .480 lift.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:25 AM

A little machining and good springs will allow more lift on the Vortecs, mine should hold up to .525" of lift. Scroggins Dickey sells a set that is supposed to handle like .550" stock, but they're more money.

Check out the GM Fastburns. Its a vortec design, but they're aluminium and (from the flow numbers) flow very good. 275/193 @ .600" lift

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Fast...der_Heads.html

------------------
Chuck Kulchar
1991 Camaro RS LO3 A4
Now with 100% more Vortec heads!
Old 09-03-2002, 03:07 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IrocSS85:
you need self aligning rocker arms. which are alot more exp. then typical sm. chevy rockers.

</font>
the SA rr's aren't more expensive so to speak. they are as much as any non-self-aligning rocker arm. you pay for the size of the rocker. the afr heads are a lot more expensive but the vortecs have been tested and proven to be the best bang for the buck head on the market. they are good heads for a godo price.

Old 09-05-2002, 03:20 PM

well we went with the vortech heads, sorry pcola, no offense to you, but i had this thing about sending that much money to someone i don't know on the complete other side of the u.s. (north south) other than that they were shipped out of akron today and should be here shortly. thanks alot guys.

------------------
Tyler Parsons
'85 IROC-Z

Quick Reply: I need Head