3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

I need Help Please?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 09:29 AM

Question I need Help Please?!?!

I final get the exhaust on the car. I go get the keys, crank it up.... its fires up, sounds like it needs some warming up but thats not the case. The engine sounds like there are a few cylinders not firing(!!maybe!!), and there is a sound coming for it. Its not a "Knock" or a "Tick" sound, but close to sounding like a quick shoot of high pressure air. When I give it some gas, it wants to hesitate. I looked at the motor and there were no leaking fluid. I check the plug wires, they are attacted firmly. So then I pull the Head covers off. The Fat rockers, springs, and push rods look fine, nothing is cracked or broken. No metal shavings or chunks, and the oil remaining looked normal and black. Then I drain the oil from the oil pan. I'm looking at the oil while its draining, and notice that the oil looks "milky", kinda like water might be in it. Well I put my finger in the oil to get a better look and smell....It kinda smells like gas, and there is no evidence of metal shavings or chunks.

And thats as far as I have gotten in this troubleshooting stage. I think that there still might be a problem on the lower end of the motor and this "milky" oil in the pan has got me confused( cause I have never seen it before), especially since the oil I saw in the heads looked normal.

Anyones insight would be great. What can I do from this point? What else should I look at? And more importantly is the Motor saveable?

My car Info:

'91 Camaro(I removed the 305 TBI eng)
355 small Block(from a '86 GMC truck)
Road Demon Carb.
high rise intake
BeCool Rad/fan Kit
LT4 hot cam Kit
World Sportsman II heads
Flattop pistons
Forged rods
McLeod Flywheel
RAM Heavy Duty Clutch Kit
5speed Borg/Warner Trans

Last edited by Josh2002z28; 12-28-2003 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:42 AM

sounds like you got a ford motor in your car
Old 12-28-2003, 09:45 AM

Oh wow, I'll check to make sure thats not problem....NOPE ITS NOT. PLEASE, HELPFUL INFORMATION ONLY!!!! I'm Sick of this car, I've had enough of it and only want to fix to get rid of it.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:41 AM

shew chill buddy......hey even if the car is screwd to hell dont get rid of it, just fling a new engine in her........what did the car do to you ITS THE MOTOR THATS CAUSING ALL THE HEARTACHE!
Old 12-28-2003, 12:01 PM

Sorry just real irritated with it right now. Fling a new motor is not that easy, That motor cost me $3000 and i Just cant replace it. Money is not that easy to come by when your in the military.

Again sorry, just didn't want to hear jokes.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:07 PM

Milky oil? Thats might be a sign that coolant is leaking into the engine.

Hows the ignition timing? I just just got my 350 running that I built and let me tell you, ignition timing will drive you up the wall unless you know exactly where TDC on #1 is.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:23 PM

What kinda exhaust did you put on? A lean miss sounds like muffled popping in the intake...
You've got some serious hardware, did you re-jet the demon for all that? Or what carb, specifically do you have?
Old 12-28-2003, 12:56 PM

stealthelephant: The car was to loud as i was only using headers went i first cranked it, so it was a little tough to get it timed. I didn't leave it on for long. But i did get it TDC on the #1, i just needed to fine adjust to get it the time just right. But as far as coolant getting there, what can i look for?

90rocz: Hooker Shorty Headers, Custom built 3" Ypipe into 3" piping into 3" in and 3" out Flowmaster(single in/out). The carb. is a Road Demon 625cfm Double Pumper. This is not a Drag car. Its for Road Racing in SCCA.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:11 PM

That LT4 HC and SportsmanII heads flow a LOT of air for the 'lil 625DP unless you do some retuning...all the hardware + lean is going to make ignition timing extremely sensitive...
I'd play with jetting/PV sizing, pump-cams etc..then get the timing right..
I always liked the "anular discharge legs"for Holley style carbs, not sure if it'd fit Demons? But it gives a stronger throttle signal to start pulling fuel faster, exactly what you'd need for Road Racing...