3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

I'm gettng a 85 Z28!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 08:24 PM

I'm gettng a 85 Z28!

Hi guys, I'm new here, obviously. However, that's cause I'm officially gonna be a proud owner of a 1985 Camaro z28. It's body is in excellent condition, not even a rust spot or door ding. The downside is the engine. Now, the problem may simply lie in the carbuerator. The car burns rich. It runs good, but runs rich. Also, the check engine light stays on. So, when I go to work on it Monday, I'm gonna jump the terminals on the test connector and retrieve the code(s). So far, I already picked up a new HEI distributor, rotor, and coil for it as well as superstock Accell wires and AC delco spark plugs. I also got a new fuel filter. Anyway, after I do all that, I'm gonna go over all vacuum lines, and then check the timing. What I am wondering is if the carb isn't tuned right. It's a Q-Jet, and I think maybe the previous owner didn't know what he was doing and couldn't tunr it properly. Of course the rich problem could also quite possibly lie in the whole check engine light deal. I'm not too familiar with Carbs, just yet, but basically I'd like any ideas on what to check for on this type of engine. 305 V8 4bbl. (It's not TPI, or H.O.) Thanks fellas, and this board kicks ****!
Old 05-01-2004, 09:06 PM

Sweet car, enjoy it
Old 05-01-2004, 09:24 PM

Thanks PyRo, I'm sure gonna try! 3rd generation Camaros rule!
Old 05-01-2004, 09:34 PM

I got a 85 Zed, they kick ***, The carb probly needs to be rebuilt I know mine does. Mine runs rich as hell

Good luck and get some pics, check mine out
Old 05-01-2004, 10:15 PM

Congrats on the car. Makes me miss my 84 Z-28
Old 05-02-2004, 01:06 PM

Hey Chris, nice 85 Z, man. Mine is the same black color, but the owner before me decided to have a red racing stripe smacked down the center. It looks good though. I am leaning towrds haveing it repainted just all jet black one day though. Also, I got the same wheels, but not the t-tops, unfortunately. I like t-tops.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:33 PM

Good choice! Those carbed 85 Z28's are by far the best car ever made

Good luck to you, and remember to post back if you have any problems.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:48 PM

Thanks Mark, much appriciated. It's nice to finally be a member of a board with mature people. Of all the posts I've read, I haven't seen one immature, childish fight. This is how forums should be.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by Pneumatic_Tire
Of all the posts I've read, I haven't seen one immature, childish fight.
You haven't been around too long We have our fair share of immature, needless posting. And I'll admit I've thrown fuel to the fire before, but for the most part you'll find several knowledgeable people here who can help you out without resorting to personal attacks every other post. Its nowhere near as bad as some other boards however.

Good luck with the QJet. They can be quite frustrating to a newbie - speaking from experience here - but a little time and patience and the QJet will reward you with drivability and gas mileage a Holley could only dream of.

Let us know what you find with that check engine light...
Old 05-03-2004, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by Pneumatic_Tire
Of all the posts I've read, I haven't seen one immature, childish fight. This is how forums should be.
Hmmm.... I haven't been involved in....I mean seen....one of those for a little while. It happens, but not too much.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Banned

Hey Pneumatic_ Tire.. I have the same car as you! Except I have t-tops.. nice car though! It is for sure a blast!

Of all the posts I've read, I haven't seen one immature, childish fight
LMFAO.. apparently you havn't been to the Lounge lately
But for the most part, this board does kick some serious a$$! Everybody is pretty damned aweseome, minus a few dickz, *cough* Big Red Jim *cough*, but everyone is pretty great to talk to and ask advice from!

BTW.. my Check Engine light comes on as well, but I think that has to do w/ the fact that I have no exhaust after the Cat whatsoever. The Cat is messed up too, for that matter.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:25 PM

I Always wanna welcome anyone with a True Z28....congrats on the ride! Mine was my first love...Shhh! quiet she`ll hear me if you say it out loud!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/487725

Mine was stock about ten year and seven score ago....
Old 05-03-2004, 07:59 PM

congrads on the Z28! always good to have another 3rd gen guy around. let us know about that check engine light.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:53 PM

What up guys? well I spent most of the day just figuring out where vacuum lines and stuff should have gone, and did a oil change, so I didnt get to do the new distributor and wires, and plugs. I'll do those the next day. As for the check engine light, It probably has to do with the fact that I found out the air pump is gone, and has the exhaust port lines blocked off. Probably why the light is on. Also, the mixture control solenoid was disconnected. The carb is gonna need rebuilt, I gaurentee that. Other wise, I'm just gonna bring her home and fix things slowly. I'll try and get some pics up. Also, can anyone direct me to any good sites to say exactly how the carb vacuum lines shold be? Also, how do I tune this carbureator? The car is a 1985 Camaro Z28 with a 305 4bbl carb. As always any help would be greatly aprriciated. Oh one more thing. A friend gave me a chrome air cleaner for a 305, but it's one of those open face ones with no place for stuff like the breather to go to and what not. How do I properly go about getting rid of the Thermostatic air cleaner?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:57 PM

hey awesome man, congrats......i hope u enjoy ur new LG4, im about to pop mine in my 88 and see what kinda power im actually in for......

Quick Reply: I'm gettng a 85 Z28!