85_LG4

Induction

Ok.. which is better:
Open air element
or
Ram Air
What is the upside/downside of each?

Old 10-15-2003, 06:10 PM

An open element wil be cheaper, and cleaner looking, but pulls hot air from the engine compartment. Ram Air has the advantage of bringing in cold air (which will make more power,) but it's more trouble to put together.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:40 PM

omg ram air is such a pain you have no idea....my car just got put in storage and ive already taken off the nose to figure out what im going to need to do to make a really good ram air setup....Ive already come to the conclusion that to do it well im going to need to either cut the hell out of the bumper or get a custom steel tube bumper made up for me.....the bumper is the main thing in your way....im also going to extremes though im going as far as to remove my fog lights completly and cut the center section of the nose out so its just one big scoop....will look awesome when im done though! Just so you know a CAI would work almost as well as the ram air because thats basically what the ram air accomplishes so going with that would be a LOT easier as well as giving you a bit better performance then a normal open element.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:40 PM
85_LG4

Ram air is THAT much of a pain.. aww man.. this sux, lol.
What if I had a cowl Induction hood.. would Open Element be pretty good, or no?
What.. in the hell.. is CAI? lol

Old 10-15-2003, 08:51 PM

Cowl Hood + Open Element would be nice...

CAI = Cold Air Induction

-Rippin
Old 10-15-2003, 09:22 PM

for camaros not that hard to do

http://91rsramair.tripod.com/home/
Old 10-15-2003, 09:42 PM

maybe im losing my mind??? I took off the nose and bumper and while it was all sitting on the ground it seemed like the bumper would get totally in the way but maybe i just looked at it wrong ill have to take a better look tommorow.....just so you know "ram air" doesnt actually ram the air down until like 250 mph or something insane all it does is act as a cold air intake.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:48 PM
85_LG4

Aaah.. now I know what everyone means when they say CAI.. lol.
Thanx for the website.
BTW.. wil Ram-Air work w/ a carb? I don't see why it wouldn't.. but am unsure.
I know the literature that came w/ my Edelbrock says something along the lines of "do not use excessive force of air down the Carb., or so and so will be messed up.."

Old 10-15-2003, 09:51 PM
85_LG4

Umm.. I missed your most previous post, doug..
But how is air not "rammed" down until 250mph or whatever? I have also heard of this.. but how is that possible? I mean.. your goin at 80mph.. there HAS to be at least SOME air bein' forced down..

Old 10-16-2003, 12:06 AM

ram air wasn't hard for me to do at all. all i needed was a hacksaw, a/c duct, and some duct tape. took me about an hour to do, too. i felt a difference right off the back since the main intake setup is kinda restrictive in my opinion, but at higher speeds, i could really feel it.

what did it gain me? probably .1-.2 on the 1/4 mile over stock... and it only cost me about $10 to do.

here's a link to the ram air concept i went with...http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/ramair.shtml

just becareful! my idiot friend wasn't being careful and put the hacksaw right through the a/c condenser... guess who had to buy the new condenser? lmao

btw... i havn't tested it at the track, but i doubt taking off your fog lights would help at all... i left mine on

email me if you have any questions if you decide to do the ram air like i did, djhafownz@cofs.net
Old 10-16-2003, 09:01 AM

okay understand the basic principal that your engine is a vacuum. From what i understand (people have figure this out using all sorts of crazy physics stuff i dont understand) that the vacuum in the engine is so strong that you would not be able to assist in the speed that it sucks air in until speeds that you will never reach in the car......

Ram air would be okay for a carb but youre not going to hook it up directly to the carb.....basically you would just want the air to be blowing near the element so that its pulling in cold air....this is why many cowl hoods just have a hole big enough for an open element on the under side of the hood so the engine is forced to suck cold air in from the outside...
Old 10-16-2003, 10:06 AM
Banned

I thought that Ram Air benifits you only if you are at 125 and above?
Old 10-16-2003, 11:09 AM
85_LG4

Ok.. that thing on the engine being the large-assed vacuum.. I kinda understand that.
I was also thinkin that it just "might" pull in more air than "ramming" it in would provide.. but wasn't positve.
So basically I will want an open element, w/ ram-air bringin in cold air from somwhere, but not DIRECTLY to the carb.. correct?

Old 10-16-2003, 12:47 PM

the ram air i have just acts like a scoop... it scoops up air from the front of the car, and up to the filter, and then to the throttle body. there is WAY more air getting to the intake now than there was stock... thats why i said i felt a different in throttle responce.

i dont know if this happened before or after i did the ram air (since it was my first mod when i got the car), but whenever i rev my engine, people say it sounds like i have a supercharger. i call those people idiots cuz it doesnt sound like a supercharger, but it does make a high pitched whining noise that makes it sound really neat i think it's making that noise when it sucks in air from the a/c duct... lol

Last edited by dj haf; 10-16-2003 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:49 PM

If you want to use a ram-air type setup on a carb, your best bet will be to go with a stock dual-snorkel air cleaner. Route your plumbing from the ends of the snorkels forward over the radiator and down through the plastic nose panel to the foglights. Clearance is tight between the radiator support and the hood but it can be done.

A cowl hood and open element is a great combo, especially if you use a sheet of aluminum and some weatherstripping to seal the air cleaner to the cowl and keep out hot engine compartment air.

Quick Reply: Induction