3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

iroc mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 04:46 PM

Question iroc mod

hey i'm in high school and this school is all about raceing with the kids here i moved here about a month ago i own a 1985 iroc z28 and most of the kids here own rice cars imports they keep on telling me about all of the mods that they have on there car and i must say they are pretty fast but since they have mods on there cars i would like to put some on mine remember i am in high school so some low cost mods in the range of $1-$800
Old 07-18-2002, 05:14 PM

Yeah we got those riceboys (and girls) out here too. Some are quick but the majority are not. if youve only got that kind of budget and you wanna go fast. Put the money into an exhaust system or a performance ignition system or something. These will give you HP stickers wont. I guess its just a philosophy of mine but I say let your ET tell the story not your 5 level spoiler.

------------------
Remember to free up your time around June 22 2003 and bring your Camaros to the Peach City Beach Cruise.(Plenty of classic and muscle will be there lets bring the Camaro contingent). For more information see www.peachcitybeachcruise.com .

1989 Iroc Z28 1LE 305 TBI
100% Stock BABY!(For Now)
Old 07-18-2002, 05:18 PM

Be specific, do u have a TBI,TPI?

mods
Headers,exhaust,k&n filter or just buy a bottle
Old 07-18-2002, 09:16 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlowBye:
Be specific, do u have a TBI,TPI?

mods
Headers,exhaust,k&n filter or just buy a bottle
</font>
i have tpi tuned port injection all irocs have tpi
Old 07-18-2002, 09:31 PM

thats not true, There were Iroc-z's which came with LG4 TBI's
Old 07-18-2002, 09:40 PM

WHen the 305 HO was shelved, the standard IROC engine was the L03 305 TBI.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:57 PM

lets get back on the subject the mods to my iroc z28 camaro
Old 07-18-2002, 11:13 PM

Red face

Remove your upper intake pieces and have them ported and or just port matched. Remove the Mass Air Sensor and carefully take the screens off of the ends of it(I used needle nose pliers )...Have a set of headers installed or install them yourself and at the same time remove the cat-converter if hat is legal over there and there is no emissions testing. If you want a BAD *** sound, do what I did...Have your cat-converter removed and in it's place have welded a 40 series Delta Flow Flowmastr muffler. Have a turn-down welded on aftr it to direct the exhaust gasses away from the car. On my stock as a rock 305 TPI, it's definately 100X meaner than a typical flowmaster cat-back system! Read my "Nitrous Results" thread too if you want to go that route! Goodluck man! My first car was a red 1985 IROC, 305 TPI/ Auto/3.73 gear, T-tops..Man did I love that car..

------------------
Denny Villemure
1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible, 305 TPI, 2.73 Gear, Flowmaster 2 chamber. 15.60 on motor, 14.20 on a 75 shot from NX. Woo hoo!
www.denny.cz28.com
Old 07-19-2002, 12:05 AM

Yeah Denny has got the right idea. If youre looking to compete with the imports you can get way faster than them for way less money. I think youll find that after you get your car fast you wont find ricers a challenge and start going after mustang cobras, corvettes and european cars eg m5s and porsches.

Oh and btw there were 4 fuel systems in 3rd gen. Carb, Cross Fire, Tuned Port(IROC) and Throttle Body(mine)(IROC/IROC1LE).

------------------
Remember to free up your time around June 22 2003 and bring your Camaros to the Peach City Beach Cruise.(Plenty of classic and muscle will be there lets bring the Camaro contingent). For more information see www.peachcitybeachcruise.com .

1989 Iroc Z28 1LE 305 TBI
100% Stock BABY!(For Now)

[This message has been edited by bcirocz (edited July 19, 2002).]
Old 07-19-2002, 07:31 AM

I'd leave your MAF alone. Especially on the 85. The 85 MAF screen isn't easily removed like in other years. I hogged mine out and it made absolutely no difference. The stock MAF can supply more than enough air for a 305. There's no advantage to it, and a lot of people that remove their screens wind up with drivability problems, most likely due to turbulance causing inaccurate readings.

So anyway... mods for an 85. The 85 has a decent cam in it, so I'd say that aside from a high budget project, your best bang for the buck will be headers, 3" high flow cat and a nice catback exhaust. That'll probably eat most of your budget right there. Don't expect a miracle either... you're not going to get 50 more horsepower from it... maybe 20 if you're lucky. Don't believe the ricers when they yap about their fart can and intake giving them 20 or more horsepower. They're lucky to get 5 horsepower with that crap on such a small motor.

But anyway... I'm rambling. After your exhaust is up to par, I'd say heads would be your next upgrade, but they can be expensive. I don't consider the runners and base to be a major restriction until you're making 200-ish rear wheel horsepower, which would translate to around 250-ish at the crank. I've never seen the flow for the heads on the 305 vortec trucks, but I'd assume that if the head is like the L31 350 vortec head, that it would be a damned good head to put onto a somewhat modified 305. The problem with using that head is that you'll have to cough up $400 for an SDPC vortec TPI base, but I think that the results would be worthwhile. If you can snag a set of used Corvette aluminum heads, they'll work real well on the 305 too. You'll just have to slot a few bolt holes on your stock base.

Now the real issue is just how much money you want to pour into a 305. You may want to just do things like exhaust and maybe intake upgrades. All that crap can work on a 350 later on. Once you upgrade some of that, you can start saving for a bigger motor. The 305 is only going to take you so far before it becomes a money pit to mod.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
View the Restoration of an 85 IROC
Weekend projects aren't.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:34 PM

Don't forget about all the free/really cheap little mods like Throttle Body Bypass,Removing The Baffles Under the air filters,K&N Air Filters,Air Foil,a shift kit(if you have an automatic)
Anything to let the engine breathe!!

------------------
'89 IROC-Z 305 TPI