3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

its on baby, come torque with me

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 08:03 PM

its on baby, come torque with me

well got my rear rebuilt yesterday, went smooth as butter, had the 26 spline axels after all, cant handle the bitch in 1st gear anymore goes like a mother, did find out one of my brake shoes is half missing, and found and fixed and antiefreeze leak, also fixed a vaccum leak that was driving me nuts costing me lots of money, the rear tranny seal is getting changed tommrow because after we got her all together she decided to leak, also one subframe connector for now till i get headers, the welder cant clear the exhaust, so hes putting one connector on for now since im going to the track in may he said thatll help me a bit. will a vaccum leak take away from my et,s
Old 04-07-2004, 09:02 PM

thats cool u got ur car back.

how do u like those 3.73's w/ TPI ? i heard thats a crappy combo for intake and gears. enlighten us about it...
Old 04-07-2004, 09:06 PM

cool man, let me know how ya do down at the strip with the new rear end. i have also been contemplating doing a swap for posi also.
well a vacum leak WILL hurt your times (or should), with the leak (weather or not you have F.I.) their is too much air and not enough fuel. in a carbed car the flow of air will be reduced through the venturi becasue of the new "hole". casueing a lean condition = less gas = less torque = less power. depending on how big the leak is is also a factor.
a relatively small leak may not be detrimental at WOT becasue vacume drops in the manifold and you would have a lower percentage of leaking air through the hole and most of it would come through the throttle body due to the decrease in resriction at WOT. in a FI car the car will not see the extra air sneaking in and it would first cause a lean condition...then the O2 sensor will see lean and fatten her up to compensate. once again i dont know the magnitude of effect the leak would have at WOT (assuming thats how your gonna race ) but the effect of a vacume leak is at its worst probably at idle and de-cel (and braking will proabbly be harder becasue instead of the vacume helping you its going out the leak when you press).

hopefully someone could add something or correct me if they feel im wrong.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:24 PM

ill let ya know soon i a get to drive her more, can anyone guide me on how to do drum brakes i know how to do em but im very nervous about doing it. need some quick advice
Old 04-07-2004, 10:27 PM

Be sure to set aside plenty of time, I remember when I replaced everything on the rear of my 86, it took forever, but what a difference

Will
Old 04-07-2004, 11:44 PM

If you have a camera take pics before you start,then if you think something doesn't fit right you have the pics to go by.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Banned

What SFC are you using that didn't clear the exhaust? I wouldn't have even welded one in if both don't work. That way you can return it.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:20 PM

Sig says he's fabbing them.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Banned

My bad, I didn't read carefully. Maybe you should get a set that has been made to clear instead of fabbing one that might not work. Not too late yet.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:43 PM

he custome welded those tubes u used for roll cages down there he made just about a complete frame on the one side, says hell put art 2 on when i get headers next year, one will definatlye help for now, we cant clear the pipes with that thick *** tube but he said its so rigid, (and hes done alot of 3rd gens,plus owns a 93z) said they can gain 3,10ths in the 1/4 with that rigid ****, he knows his **** hes the guy with the drag avenger on muscle mopar just about every month. now my ****in front tranny seals is leaking , is that a bitch to change
Old 04-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Banned

Time to take the tranny out. Can you get to it without tearing apart the tranny by just taking the TC out and leaning it down enough?
Old 04-08-2004, 05:28 PM

You're better off snatching the trans than trying to tilt it that far....it gets pretty unbalanced. Replacing the seal is easy enough, but make sure to check the bushing in the front pump because they usually won't leak unless the bushing is worn out.

Expect to make a big mess...it's real hard not to lose fluid out of the TC when you pull it out.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:07 PM

"Expect to make a big mess...it's real hard not to lose fluid out of the TC when you pull it out."

i think its impossible not to make a mess. emptied my whole tranny on the driveway while removing mine.

i would wait for both frames to go in, dont do just one. unless you already welded it?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:55 PM

no i already welded the one in, big difference doors rattle and bang aorund like crazy now, specially on the passanger side, cant wai to get that other one in, maybe by may when i get my headers, as for my 3.73 love em off the line, i love doing 120mph down the highway so on the highway i despise those gears, but im still happy with em i guess, will have to see what i run at the track
Old 04-11-2004, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by LiquidSkies
[Bi think its impossible not to make a mess. [/B]
I managed to do it clean once. Yanked a TH350 out of a friend's Jeep for a rebuild...it was sitting on a table so it was at a REALLY good angle to get to and I just pulled the TC out and swung it down at the same time. Only spilled about .5oz and it was on dirty rags anyway.

Never again have I been able to repeat this feat.

Quick Reply: its on baby, come torque with me