3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Just BOMBED Emissions Test

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 PM

Re: Just BOMBED Emissions Test

p.s. i clicked on the link and your car is very pretty
Old 01-31-2006, 10:15 PM

From the looks of the readings, the HC and CO readings would be normal for a car without a CAT. Not really that rich. Is the carb a feedback type, computer controlled. The original Qjet would have been. The biggest problem is the high NOX readings. 3 possiblilties: EGR system malfuction, vacuum supply, valve bad, or passage plugged/restricted. Over advancing timing. OR too low of coolant temp, which would also be a cause for high HC and CO if computer controlled. High NOX from high cylinder temps above 2500 degrees F. Too low a thermostat causes high cylinder temps. That's where I would start.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by respectirocz
p.s. i clicked on the link and your car is very pretty

Is "pretty" an insult to a sports car???
Old 02-01-2006, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by 1991l98g92
Is the carb a feedback type, computer controlled.

Too low a thermostat causes high cylinder temps.

I wish I knew what type of carb it was, sorry.

In terms of the stat, it's stock and the car typically runs pretty hot. Look for my post titled "Bipolar Temperatures" for more.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by DCJLove
Is "pretty" an insult to a sports car???
not an insult at all, i think the car is admirable, i wish mine looked as good

u dont have the stock q-jet so ur carb is not a feedback carb its not a computer controlled carb

it also looks like you have no egr valve, so you cant do very much to lower you're NOx, except ensure the engine is running properly, i.e. 180 degree thermostat, maybe switch to a colder spark plug

but back to what i said before, i think you are running rich and you need to lower the float level
Old 02-03-2006, 02:44 PM

I'm taking the car in to a good shop tonight for emissions repairs.

I looked at my Chilton manual last night, I know for certain that my EEC is not hooked up to the carb. I'm pretty sure it is running rich, so I am having them check the A/F ratio and adjust the carb if necessary. I'll see what else they have to say and report back here!
Old 02-04-2006, 11:18 AM

Are all the 1986 emission systems present on this engine for this particular Camaro model? If not what is missing?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:16 PM

The shop called me this morning... bad news!

The Edlebrock intake has no EGR. The PCV valve, therefore, is vented to the atmosphere. The exhaust manifolds are leaking, and the AIR pump is frozen, but has no belt hooked up to it anyway. They figure it'll need cat converters because the motor is running rich and the unburnt fuel hits the cats and burns them out.

So they recommend replacing the intake with one that has an EGR so that the emissions devices can be hooked back up. That is the major work. The rest of it (replacing the AIR pump, hooking up the proper hoses for the PCV, hooking up the EEC, doing a tune up to correct the A/F ratio) is mechanical and doable by them.

So, I am left looking for a replacement intake with an EGR... tips?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:33 PM

It's interesting that hooking the computer back up (feedback carb) isn't an emission related failure or nessesity.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:38 PM

I was just looking around at Summit Racing and maybe I don't even need a new intake to add an EGR...

It seems like the Edlebrock intakes listed on the website need an adapter or spacer gasket put in to link up an EGR. Anyone know how I can tell what intake I have? (It's pouring rain out or I would look at it and see if I can tell.) If I could tell, maybe I could figure out how to hook an EGR up properly.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1991l98g92
It's interesting that hooking the computer back up (feedback carb) isn't an emission related failure or nessesity.

Computer?? I didn't think an 86 had any computers hooked up to the motor. What are you referring to?
Old 02-04-2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by DCJLove
Computer?? I didn't think an 86 had any computers hooked up to the motor. What are you referring to?
umm, all 86s(USA anyway) had a computer feedback carb and computer timing advance distributor, along with emmisions devices(AIR, EGR, EEV, ect.)
Old 02-04-2006, 05:25 PM

The shop did say that they couldn't determine the A/F ratio because the aftermarket carb doesn't have the mixture control solenoid. I take it that is the feedback carb?
Old 02-04-2006, 07:00 PM

wow thats *****.

personally i would just find someone i could pay for a phony e-test, as long as youre not worried about the smog police catching you on the street.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:02 PM

yea, the egr was removed for performance, if the intake had a block off plate for the egr you would see it on the side of the intake manifold, io forget which side but i believe its the passenger side, its a small rectangle plate held on with 2 bolts,

all generel motors vehicles had computers in them since 1981,
all 3rd gen f-bodies with a carb, have computer controlled feedback carbs,

find out if you'r air pump has seized or not, very common, not worth replacing, people take off the belt for performance, free's up horsepower

when they said they couldnt determine the air fuel ratio its probably because they tried to hook up a scan tool to it, i dont know how the computer would respond to a scan tool with an after market carb.

the pcv valve should have a hose routed to the base of the carb, you'r carb should have some provision for it
the mechanic will never be able to hook up the eec unless they change the carb back to a stock q-jet

i say get the carb adjusted (lower the float level) and pay to pass

Quick Reply: Just BOMBED Emissions Test