3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Just Picked up an 89 IROC

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 10:56 PM

Wink Just Picked up an 89 IROC

Hey this is my first post in the 3rd gen Section. I just picked up an 89 IROC-Z for 250 Bucks. Interior is gone, , But outside is solid, , Runs Great less than six months ago this Dude (A Pothead) dropped all his cash in a GM Longblock for this car and Now he's Broke How bout that for luck I almost felt bad buying it but now heres my question

I want to go as fast as humanly possible. using the LEAST amount of cash Possible So Bear in mind I have a ton of LT1 parts at my disposal I'm told that TPI's are Great Torque Monsters and I do have an Extra T56 on hand (it's an A4 now)

I am going to have to let you guys educate me because I am in the dark on TPI
Let the Bickering Begin
Thanks in advance
Old 03-05-2005, 08:17 AM

Re: Just Picked up an 89 IROC

Get a stealthram intake $600, find some used aftermarket heads and get them ported, find a used roller cam, some used longtube headers, and a big used stall and put it together with some traction.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by JOE96Z28SS
Hey this is my first post in the 3rd gen Section. I just picked up an 89 IROC-Z for 250 Bucks. Interior is gone, , But outside is solid, , Runs Great less than six months ago this Dude (A Pothead) dropped all his cash in a GM Longblock for this car and Now he's Broke How bout that for luck I almost felt bad buying it but now heres my question

I want to go as fast as humanly possible. using the LEAST amount of cash Possible So Bear in mind I have a ton of LT1 parts at my disposal I'm told that TPI's are Great Torque Monsters and I do have an Extra T56 on hand (it's an A4 now)

I am going to have to let you guys educate me because I am in the dark on TPI
Let the Bickering Begin
Thanks in advance

Well your kinda leaving out some key info. You say this car has a brand new long block. BUt what the hell long block is it, a stock replacement 305, or Fastburn 385?

Im going to assume he bought like a basic 260 hp, GM replacement long block. In that case I would say, buy a set of aftermarket heads, do a cam and buy a stealth ram, injectors and a 255 fuel pump would be a good idea. Do subframes, and buy sticky tires.

As far as tranny, I ussually recomend doing a staled automatic. But with the decent power this set-up would be making you would grenade the stock tranny, especially with a decent stall. And since your T56 would probably stand up to the power as is, it may be cheaper to you to do the swap rather than rebuilding the auto.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:20 AM

According to him it's what the Chevrolet Dealer said It came with so I'm assuming a Basic 350, I'm waiting for the papaerwork but I don't expect it LOL The Rear Buimper says 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Old 03-05-2005, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by onefastgta
Get a stealthram intake $600, find some used aftermarket heads and get them ported, find a used roller cam, some used longtube headers, and a big used stall and put it together with some traction.
Would an LT1 Roller Cam Setup work??? I have my Old Hotcam Kit

BTW: I just looked at the heads and a magnet will stick to them

Last edited by JOE96Z28SS; 03-05-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Banned

Yes, an LT1 cam would work. WOuld I recommend re-using one? Hell no! Sheit. just call up compcams, tell them EXACTLY what you want your car to do, and they will give you a part# that best suits your needs.
Plus, buying a cam designed for YOUR car and exactly what you want it to do, would be better than just plopping in an LT1 cam.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:07 PM

do you have an lt1 intake, I have seen them modded to fit earlier blocks and here they make a ton of torque on them as well. All you have to mod is the center bolt holes and make a hole for the distributor wich is pretty well marked out on the intake anyway. A decent machine shop can do this, I have seen it on an 89 pro-am ta.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:44 AM

Wouldn't an LT1 type intake get rid of bottom-End torque?? I thought that was the big thing about the TPI Intake That it had monsterous Low-End Torque. This car is actually not bad the 700R is slipping a little but you can feel a bit of a bite. I do have an LT1 intake form my LT4 Conversion left over I also have my BBK Shorty's for my 96. I guess I don't want to install an LT1 Part on ad Move Backwards Power Wise
Old 03-06-2005, 11:07 AM

yes,the TPI makes alot of torque,but you mentioned you want to go as FAST as possible..cheap. the TPI IS NOT going to let that happen.

it makes no power after 5,000 RPM's,but it makes great torque b/c of the long runner design.

if it was me,i would find a good set of heads,a good cam,and switch it to carb'd if your not worrying about losing some gas mileage. thats the easiest/cheapest horsepower i think,thats the direction i went.

if your going w/ more of a street car than a race car,buy a set of hopped-up Vortec heads w/ screw in studs,upgraded springs and stuff,throw in a decent Comp Cam (not too big tho,vortec heads dont like ALOT of cam),and an edelbrock performer RPM intake,a 650 or 750 carb,and theres your 400hp very streetable motor. (see my sig.)

the Holley Stealth Ram is a great intake from what i hear,and i wouldve went that direction but i didnt have $$ at the time to buy the intake and then pay to get it tuned...so i went carb'd. also remember that the stealth ram doesnt have EGR ports/passages so its not gonna pass emissions.

if you want to put long tubes on your IROC,dont plan on lowering it from what ive heard. Heddman LT's tuck up closer than Hookers LT's for a 3rd gen.

hope this helps!