3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Let me know if this exhaust idea will work!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 06:48 PM

Let me know if this exhaust idea will work!!!

right now i have edelbrock TES headers, Edelbrock Y pipe, no cat, Edelbrock cat back and 2 5" diameter tips on a 1988 GTA. it doesnt produce a mean enough sound for me....

i was thinking of changing the exhaust to a single chamber flowmaster 10 series muffler. the problem is that these mufflers only have 1 inlet and 1 outlet.

this is where i need feedback...

can i install the muffler where the original cat was located right after the Y pipe, run 3" out the muffler to the rear axle, over the rear axle, then split the pipe into 2 exit pipes to retain the dual tips??? would this cause flow problems and will it still sound good and be loud?

Thanks for any input
Old 08-30-2006, 06:09 PM

Re: Let me know if this exhaust idea will work!!!

ttt
Old 08-30-2006, 06:41 PM

just do away with the stupid fake dual tips and put the muffle rwhere the stock one was and tuck the single exit up and out of view out to the drivers side...thats what i did and it looks muuch better, nice and clean.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:16 PM

thanks for the input but i think our cars with a single pipe out looks kinda gay. im more for the old school look.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:11 PM

for splitting the exhuast, the easy and cheap way, well the way i did it, just get a 90 degree bent piece of exhuast tubing and weld it to a straight piece of tubing going out both sides so you can still have your dual tips. this is how i did it on my 87 for now and i just replaced that with the muffler. its probably not the best flow but its quick and easy
Old 08-31-2006, 05:57 PM

that seems a bit more costly than just getting a flowmaster or a factory single in dual out... heck you can find catbacks for under $200... and used just muffler and tips for under $150
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_Exhau...ofocusZunknown
Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 PM

If youre not worried about emissions, and willing to spend a few hundred..why not put duals on it? I guarantee youll appreciate the sound much better than a single muffler... Theres muffler shops that will do it, you just gotta be willing to look for one.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:04 AM

How about leaving the exhaust alone, and instead, slip in a different cam and a higher stall torque converter? That'll also help improve the growl as well as performance!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:02 AM

You could do the flowmaster back around the cat area and put a "T" at the point the over the axle pipe makes a turn to the muffler and connect to the passenger side tail-pipe, remove the mufler and add a pipe to connect the driver's side tail-pipe. That wouldn't be extremely hard for a muffler shop to do and it would function fine. The muffler would probably be a little low there though.

I'm running the Race Series Welded DynoMax muffler (linked below) on my IROC and it's fairly loud outside the car and fairly quiet on the inside.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

It's a staight through type design,,, kinda a "Y" on the inside but both sides look fairly equal in distribution looking at the exhaust in the winter. It is the highest flowing dual exit muffler I could find at the time.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:46 PM

you could also just do what i did on my iroc just cut the exaust off where the cat should be(i reccomend putting a cat there though. there is no real reason why you need to make the exaust go to the rear. longer pipes just tend to muffle the sound.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:29 AM

good reason to shoot it out the rear, less heat in pass compartment, less $%$@% buildup under the car, less irritating noise vibrating the car, less heat in fuel tank less harmful gasses coming into pass compartment.... just dont do that, run the pipes out the side or straight back, exhaust pipe is cheap, dontgo kickin your $!Q when the motor burns some oil and coats half your car with it and you cant breathe when you're driving, or you cant see because when it's warming up and running rich, the gas fumes flow up and into pass compartment. why do you think everyone points exhaust AWAY from the car?!????

anyway i had duals put on mine and used an h-pipe muffler (the lastest and greatest of this type of 2 in 2 out muffler is the x-pipe glasspack) to retain em, as the basic 'turbo' mufflers won't fit stacked on top of eachother in stock location, really it was gonna cost the same to have a custom y pipe bent to fit my headers so duals was the way to go. fyi 2.5" duals all the way back with a dynomax h-pipe at the time the muffler was around $100, all custom mounting, no cats, $350, all i did was drop it off and pick it up a few days later

now put the muffler as far away from the headers as possible, keep backpressure down a bit, and putting 90* bends in exhaust will restrict flow, avoid it if possible.

Last edited by 84firebird; 09-04-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 84firebird
good reason to shoot it out the rear, less heat in pass compartment, less $%$@% buildup under the car, less irritating noise vibrating the car, less heat in fuel tank less harmful gasses coming into pass compartment.... just dont do that, run the pipes out the side or straight back, exhaust pipe is cheap, dontgo kickin your $!Q when the motor burns some oil and coats half your car with it and you cant breathe when you're driving, or you cant see because when it's warming up and running rich, the gas fumes flow up and into pass compartment. why do you think everyone points exhaust AWAY from the car?!????
ive run 3 third gens this way and none of them ever had any of the problems your ranting about. besides if it coted the underside with oil that wouldnt be a bad thing since oil repels water and withought water the chance for rust is minimized.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:39 PM

a 3" or 3.5" TIP 24" will make your car scream,

I got a buddy with a 350 with identical exhaust as me besides the tips,
my 305 is way louder with 24" tips vs his 12"
Old 09-05-2006, 07:01 PM

wow thanks for all the imput...
i designed my own exhaust and drew it on paper with the measuremnts. it sounds great and i could still use my 5.5 Inch dia. tips.

as far as someone saying to put a cam in it...i dont think that is something i need. ill add the following to my signature

L98 350 10.5 compression, dual 450 holley w/ tunnel ram,Edelbrock 2204 roller cam, Edelbrock Alum heads, accel dist and coil, edelbrock headers, no cat, Custom Flowmaster single chamber exhuast, M/T drag radials, energy suspension bushings, eibach sportline springs, Mad Dog Godfather 700r4 stage 3, 3500 9 inch stall converter, B&M Trans Super cooler.

ill attach a sound clip of the exhaust. it just sounds great and i have great ground clearance. thank you for the input.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:05 PM

Quick Reply: Let me know if this exhaust idea will work!!!