3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Long Tube Headers etc...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:27 PM

Long Tube Headers etc...

Alright.... I'll post something! So How hard is it to install long tube headers? I know this should go in the Exhaust forum... I'm planning on buying Hooker Long tubes. I know there isnt much space.. but what 3rd gen owners out there have installed these headers by themselves? I only work on my car.. no one else does.. If anyone has pics of an install or pics of long tubes on a 3rd gen I would like to see them. Please give me any pointers i'll need to know before I try and install these headers.

Also I'm going to install a rear end from a camaro w/rear disc brakes and posi.... as long as I have the master cylinder from the car I took the rear end from will my stock e-brake and brake lines work for this app?

How difficult will it be to eliminate the stock egr and other exhaust and intake restrictions? I want to put a new carb, intake, dist, and cam in.

Any info would be great. I have an '86 IROCZ 4bbl 5speed LG4 (unfortunately)
Old 02-28-2007, 09:52 PM

I was hoping to have my Hedman longtubes installed today but looks like it's going in first thing in the morning. I called Summit, Hedman, and talked to local exhaust shop about installing them, said it should be a breeze sliding them in from under the car. I was considering installing them on the block and sliding it all in at one time, but I'm just gonna put car in the air and go from there.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:20 AM

i'm between the hedmans and the hooker super comps... but i think i'll go with the hedmans
Old 03-01-2007, 08:01 AM

when i put my shorties on i had to lift half the motor up. i tried from the bottom too. havn't tried to put my longtubes on, but when i do i'm sliding them in with the new motor.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by confused327
when i put my shorties on i had to lift half the motor up. i tried from the bottom too. havn't tried to put my longtubes on, but when i do i'm sliding them in with the new motor.
You lifted the motor for shorties What were they? Mine slid in just fine, the only exception was that I had to remove some of the smog equiptment on the passenger side, above the stock exhaust manifold.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:48 PM

Well I put the motor back in and installed the Hedman longtubes today. I put just the front end up on jack-stands and took out the Sensor plugs on side of the blocks. The driver side longtube slide right in, extremely easy... I was under the car and had a buddy grab it from the top and start running in bolts.

The passenger side was whole other story, of course you'll have to have the starter off the car, but the corner of the header was catching up against the firewall. So I put a piece of duct tape across the piece of firewall that the header was getting stuck against and took a small hammer and put a small dimple there so that the header would slide in. Probably spent 5 mins putting in the driver side header but like hour and'a half doing the passenger side.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:02 PM

you have any pics of the install? and what model of heddmans did you put in?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by 86irockz28
you have any pics of the install? and what model of heddmans did you put in?
I installed these exact ones.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=HED-68460

Went down the street and paid my buddy at the exhaust shop $15 for a new O2 sensor and to fab up a mount in the longtube. The location he mounted the O2 sensor in makes the O2 sensor stick out dangerously close to the flywheel though, not sure how that's gonna work out.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:24 PM

What's your clearance like from the ground?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:24 AM

i bought the same heddman headers yesterday from jegs... and thats a good ? how close to the ground are you? i doubt enough to lower the car right?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by LesPaulGoth
You lifted the motor for shorties What were they? Mine slid in just fine, the only exception was that I had to remove some of the smog equiptment on the passenger side, above the stock exhaust manifold.
they were hedmans. i had to lift the drivers side, it just didn't want to go in. had just set the motor in so it was no big deal.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by LesPaulGoth
What's your clearance like from the ground?
Not to bad, the bottom of the collector sits maybe an inch lower than my oil pan... but then I have S-Bend pipes coming from the collector that rolls the exhaust down to clear the crossmember, but will cause me to loose another inch or so.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:21 AM

what are you doing for the rest of the exhaust?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:40 PM

Do a search for my post about the install. It wasn't easy, even with the engine lifted up, etc. They(Hooker LTs) interfered with the chassis in a few spots.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by confused327
they were hedmans. i had to lift the drivers side, it just didn't want to go in. had just set the motor in so it was no big deal.
Ah I gotchya. Bummer, although it seems like you had the means to install them easily enough.

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers etc...