3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Lookin' for any last minute advise with my heater core...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 01:50 PM

Lookin' for any last minute advise with my heater core...

I'm diving into it soon. I've got the Haynes repair manual but any tips would be appreciated!
Old 10-13-2004, 02:30 PM

Re: Lookin' for any last minute advise with my heater core...

Make sure you don't have plans the rest of the day.....

Good Luck man....heater cores are no fun to replace

- Justin
Old 10-13-2004, 02:31 PM

Good luck!!! You are going to need it! Nah just messin with yah Its actually not that hard as everyone makes it out to be. Make sure you clean up the spilled fluid really good. Im sure you have heard of the notorious top bolt that is a b*tch to get out. Just play with the extensions to get the right size and you will get it. You just need patience and time, but your patience may run out with the top screw
Old 10-13-2004, 04:29 PM

maybe i'll put down some plastic on the floorboard just in case of a spill.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:48 PM

4 hrs...first and last time I did it. I kinda only undid half the dash and pryed it back. Worked pretty good with the heater core housing as well, but yeah the top bolt is a PITA!!

Chris
Old 10-19-2004, 12:54 AM

The first time was a PITA but after doing it the first time it get's easier. Can do one now in about 45min. The bolts are 8mm if I remember correctly and be carefull installing your heater hoses, I've seen plenty of new heater cores leak from forecing on the heater hoses and cracking the tubes. Cut an inch off your hoses and lube the tubes before installing the hoses.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:22 AM
zrs

I suggest you pressure check for leaks prior to installing the new heater core.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:49 AM

Yeah, take advice from zrs, I once installed one only to find a crack at the weld for the spout. It's not a hard job at all, if you use a swivel ratchet and are skinny, getting the top bolt shouldnt be too hard. My hardest problem is actually lining it up when putting it back in.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:53 AM

Now that you've read how to do replace the heater core from the Haynes manual, forget everything it said. Haynes has you ripping just about everything out of your car which is more hassle than it needs to be. Simply pull the floor panel out and go to work. As long as you aren't a giant (I'm 6 feet tall, and I did it like this), you should be able to replace it without even removing the seat. Just make sure you don't have any back problems prior to attempting this.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:20 PM

my repair got rain delayed. so i'm gonna shoot for this saturday.

so i don't have to take off all the stuff the haynes manual said? "Floor panel"? Do you mean the panel under the dash on the right side? I'd hate to have to take off more than what I need too. I'm a skinny guy!

I'm at work and can't look or remember what it looks like under there. This is my first 3rd Gen and I have only had it for a few months.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:59 PM
zrs

He meant the panel under the passenger side dash. But if your toooo BIG then go ahead and CUT the floor panel so you have room to work with.. Just kidding.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by transambill
The first time was a PITA but after doing it the first time it get's easier. Can do one now in about 45min. The bolts are 8mm if I remember correctly and be carefull installing your heater hoses, I've seen plenty of new heater cores leak from forecing on the heater hoses and cracking the tubes. Cut an inch off your hoses and lube the tubes before installing the hoses.

JK....U must do heater cores for a living or are really fast.

Did one last weekend, 3rd time and it took me about 2 hours. What is this bitch top bolt that everyone speaks of?

I've seen plenty of new heater cores leak from forecing on the heater hoses and cracking the tubes. Cut an inch off your hoses and lube the tubes before installing the hoses.----From transambill,

This is very true, make SURE you folow that advice unless you want to do it all over again.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:39 AM

No I don't change them for a liveing(Thank God),I've done 7 total within the last couple years so it gets easier with experience.The PITA bolt everyone is referring to is on the top right but with a flexable extension it's not that bad.Also when you are bolting everything back together,stick the head of your bolts in the socket and wrap a piece of tape around it to hold the bolt to the socket. It makes it easier to get the bolts back up under the dash and started in the hole.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:41 PM

that tape is a good tip! i'm doing it on saturday morning.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:04 PM

Doing it all from under the dash is what I did. The hard to reach top screw can be left in if you get the rest out. By slightly prying the cover open, you can slip upwards, on the inside, a long screwdriver that has been heated red hot and melt the area around the top screw... Molted plastic lets the cover to slip right over the screw. Installation requiress you to patch up the melted area with silicon or GOOP... Saved me a lot of time. I'm remembering it took me 2 hours. Actual working time was 30minutes maybe, the rest was just swearing at the car because the rollbar is definately in the way and I'm 6' tall also. Yes if you have a rollbar, the easiest way is to sit in the pass. seat UPSIDE DOWN. Goodluck!

DAMNIT! DON'T BEND ANY OF THE HVAC DOORS, LINES, LINKAGES....OR YOUR HVAC AIRFLOW GETS ALL MESSED UP AND IT'S LAME AS HELL ON A HOT DAY WHEN YOUR A/C DOESN'T MOVE A LOT OF AIR TO THE CABIN.

Quick Reply: Lookin' for any last minute advise with my heater core...