3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

LT1 intake mod need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 09:16 AM

LT1 intake mod need help

Long story short my friend and grandfather were swaping engines in his 87TA and his grandfather died in the middle of the project.

I'm an LT1 person and thought i could help him finish, but the last steps are confusing me. I don't know what the old stuff(sensors, vacuum hoses, etc) what are the old ones and how would i make it work with the new LT1 intake.

I don't know how the vacuum hoses go and don't know what connects to what and were it goes to.

I need pics or instruction or some kind of diagram showing me what are the old lines and how they fit onto the new LT1 intake. Also we are deleting his A/C and smog pump, so the extra hoses and sesors are loosing me.

How should the coolant lines be routed? How should the vacuum lines be routed?

PLEASE HELP. I NEED PICS OF HOW TO FINISH THE INSTALL.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:29 AM

Re: LT1 intake mod need help

you may have to wait till thirdgen.org comes back up.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:40 PM

look on LT1intake.com
Old 03-17-2006, 03:04 PM

lt1intake.com doesn't really go into detail on how and what lines goes where and connect to what.

i'm a lt1 guy so 3rd gen setup is really got me frustrated. Sensors look different, lt1 throttle body and 3rd gen throttle cable are different, so what is the way to connect them together, PCV valve, the guy blocked it off, but in pictures i see people using them, TPS is different between the two. Little stuff like that have me pulling my hair. Since there is no real instructions on how to repeice these two things together,

i need someone to point out were i can find instructions or have someone that who has done this mod and ask them to take pics so i can ask detailed questions about what things are slowing me down.

Thanks, if anyone knows aomeone who has done this mod please email me
Old 03-17-2006, 10:19 PM

do this help?
Old 03-18-2006, 08:28 AM

a little, but one thing i know is that the intake we got from lt1intake.com had the PCV valve blocked off. so.... Do i really need PCV valve on the swap? Also the coolant lines. How did you route them with the intake. From memory we have the coolant ports in the back, don't know off hand if they are front and back but i see yours are in the front. Do i need them front and back? And how did yoy route them.

I need a diagram to follow so i can know were the line comes ffrom and goes to.

Can you get a pick of the final install and show how the coolant lines go and some of the vaccum hoses, please

Thanks
Old 03-18-2006, 11:04 AM

how about this?

I think that the coolant can come out of the front or back of the intake.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:05 PM

You cant use the PCV for the swap as it will get in the way of the distributor.

And not that it really matters, thats my intake in the picture. :-)

eric
Old 03-19-2006, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by ghillie
You cant use the PCV for the swap as it will get in the way of the distributor.

And not that it really matters, thats my intake in the picture. :-)

eric
no.....the EGR is in the way of the dist.

the PCV valve is in the valve cover of the L98, so hook the PCV vac port to that

ask if you need more info
Old 03-19-2006, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1BadBrd
lt1intake.com doesn't really go into detail on how and what lines goes where and connect to what.

i'm a lt1 guy so 3rd gen setup is really got me frustrated. Sensors look different, lt1 throttle body and 3rd gen throttle cable are different, so what is the way to connect them together, PCV valve, the guy blocked it off, but in pictures i see people using them, TPS is different between the two. Little stuff like that have me pulling my hair. Since there is no real instructions on how to repeice these two things together,

i need someone to point out were i can find instructions or have someone that who has done this mod and ask them to take pics so i can ask detailed questions about what things are slowing me down.

Thanks, if anyone knows aomeone who has done this mod please email me
use the thirdgen throttle body
if you need to, get a throttle cable from a 91/92 camaro, it has the same end as the LT1

use the thirdgen sensors as well
Old 03-19-2006, 10:31 AM

that is exactly what i needed. Now for the vaccum hoses. I had a list of questions i made but cant find at this time, but thank you all for the info hope they keep coming so i can help my friend out.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:32 PM

my bad, it is the egr. Thanks for the correction Dave88IROC. You will need the PCV for the swap or you will get pressure build up that will find its escape path through your dipstick and blow oil out of the tube.

Unless you have to replace a vacuum line you should have no problems reusing them.

For the rerouting of the hoses there is plenty of room to route them out of the and keep things neat.

I dont know if your coolant ports are in the front or rear but I have seen the intakes with them at the rear and I like that better then in the front. Mine are in the front and I have had no issues but I like think it is a cleaner look with them in the rear.

Any sensors that you will not be using should be shut off in the PROM.

You did not say what cam you will be using but even with a L98 cam you will still want to get some tuning on the chip as the L98 tune can be a bit rich through the midrange and lean on the top end.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:46 PM

well the intake we have the pvc is plugged? or are you telling me the pvc goes on the valve cover, cause we ddon't have a set yet.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1BadBrd
well the intake we have the pvc is plugged? or are you telling me the pvc goes on the valve cover, cause we ddon't have a set yet.
thats fine, on a LT1, the PCV valve is in the intake, but since it is plugged, just run a hose from the PCV vac port on the intake to a PCV valve in the valve cover(stock third gen location)