3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

My Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 02:50 PM

My Car wont start

ok I would really appreciate and help here. My car will start fine and run for about 45 minutes than if i shut it off after its been running it wont restart. I had the starter replaced last year so i thought it mught be the starter again so i took it back to the chevy dealer where i had it done and they replaced it. Still did the same thing. Then someone said it could be the alternator so i replaced that. Still does the same thing. Then I replaced the battery because sometimes if i jumped it when it wouldn't start it would fire right up. Still does the same thing. Please help me i am really starting to get pissed off about it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-06-2003, 03:18 PM

The dealer can't figure it out? Doesn't suprise me, dealers suck
Old 10-06-2003, 03:28 PM

Ok, I havent had this happen to me personally but I've heard of it. I beleive the problem is heat soak from the exhaust, which heats up the starter and it needs to cool down. I dont know where you can get them from but I understand you can get some sort of 'heat blanket' to keep the heat away from the starter. Sorry I'm not a ton of help but hopefully someone will happen along and will know what I'm talkin about, till then at least you have an idea. good luck.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:14 AM

Does it crank over???
Did you check for spark, Ignition modules can do this too, when the "heat sink grease" dries up.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:13 PM

When it dies it does not crank at all you turn the key and nothing.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:29 PM

Sounds like a bad sensor possibly. My brother's ford taurus would not start when the engine was on for more than 10 minutes. It happened to be an Oxygen sensor in his car.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:33 PM

i treid replacing the o2 sensor before i went and bought one and got the tool but couldn't get it out. i couldn't get a wrench in there does anybody have any tips. Thanks alot!
Old 10-07-2003, 04:49 PM

Where is it mounted in the camaro? I have a firebird and I am curious if its the same location.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro

Originally posted by 91camaroz28
i treid replacing the o2 sensor before i went and bought one and got the tool but couldn't get it out. i couldn't get a wrench in there does anybody have any tips. Thanks alot!
Yours is on the drivers side manifold, top mounted, correct?
At least this is how mine is mounted. With all the freaking fuel lines in the way, it makes it hard to do anything to this car (spark plugs, wires, O2, headers, etc).

Old 10-07-2003, 06:55 PM

yup that is exactly where its at and its a pain in the a$$!!
Old 10-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Banned

I go from below and it is not too bad. Of course, I never did it with exhaust manifolds. I did it with headers.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:50 PM

going from below is the easiest way and you need a special socket to get at it (its just a really big socket with a little slit down the side and it works....Anyways a bad o2 seonsor isnt causing the problems you described.

What it really sound like to me isnt a bad starter but a bad starter solenoid. GM designed our cars to run ReALLy hot for emissions purposes and what happens is that the solenoid gets over heated and stops working (Heat wrecks solenoids). I believe that the solenoid in the stock form is attached to the starter motor but im not completly sure... Regardless the two things you can do is 1) check to make sure there is still a heat shield by the solenoid...they have been known to fall off and that could be the answer to your problem right there.....the other thing people do to fix the hot start problem is they get a remote starter solenoid and move it up near the dash and just rewire the thing and no more hot start issues.....hope this helps you figure out your problem.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:08 PM

ok i took the car in to have the starter looked at again seeing there would be no charge. They tell me that i had an alarm on my car and it isn't all the way disconnected and that is causing the problem. They said since there is no siren on it that i can't tell but the alarm is going off thats why it wont start. i think thats weird that it would only kick on after the engone gets hot from running for an hour. Does this sound right to anybody? Thanks
Old 10-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Banned

Disconnect it and see what happens. That is why I always take out any custom work in a car, boat, jetski, etc when I buy it.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by 91camaroz28
ok i took the car in to have the starter looked at again seeing there would be no charge. They tell me that i had an alarm on my car and it isn't all the way disconnected and that is causing the problem. They said since there is no siren on it that i can't tell but the alarm is going off thats why it wont start. i think thats weird that it would only kick on after the engone gets hot from running for an hour. Does this sound right to anybody? Thanks
Thats interesting..... I have a similar problem I attribuated to heat soak. After putting the heat sheild on it helped but not totoally. I also have an old alarm that has been partially removed. Hmmm I wonder. I am getting a new alarm too so maybe they can fix it. What i dont understand is this seems to happen only when its been running and its hot.

Quick Reply: My Car wont start