3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

My Project T/A

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 04:55 PM

My Project T/A

Alright, I've got the car and Im just trying to get it to start. Here's a lil info on the car. It's an 84 LG4 305 4bbl, and it hasnt run for 7 years. It has compression, it now has spark since I replaced cap, coil and rotor, but has a gas issue I suppose. I dont really want to drop the gas tank but If I have to I will. What are my options? Can I just pull the fuel pump line, put it in a gas can and see if it will start?
Old 12-28-2003, 06:25 PM

Your fuel pump is probably on the block. Pass side bottom of the motor, near the front.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:56 PM

The carb is probably junk.

After things sit that long, the gasoline "varnishes" and generally plugs things up. It may work, it may not. I wouldn't put too much effort into it though without a different intake and carb.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:05 PM

Agreed your carb is probably badly gummed up, but MAYBE NOT. On stuff that has sat a while I go like this....

1. Jack up the rear of the car slightly so it's higher than the front by maybe 7-8 inches. Remove the gas cap.

2. Take the fuel feed line off the fuel pump (which is bolted to the pass. side lower front of the block). That'll be the larger line attached to it that is coming from the frame of the car. Fuel will now begin to siphon out of the tank and out the open end of the hose since it's sitting higher than the line is. Might require a little suction to get the siphon started if the lines are really dry, but it should be easy to get it started. Once it's started it ill keep going on it's own. Let it drain the tank down dead-dry. Having a big deep oil pan is handy if there's more than a gallon or two left in the tank.

3. Replace the fuel line on the pump and put 5-6 gallons of fresh fuel back into the tank. It might be a good idea to put some fuel system cleaner into the gas before you pour it in (do it double-strength).

4. Remove the fuel line from the nose of the carb, then remove the big nut behind it and you will find a spring loaded-fuel filter. Replace it with a fresh filter, reassemble in reverse order and reattach the fuel line. Massive torque is not needed. It's also common to have difficulty loosening the smaller fuel line nut- the corners round off easily. Hold the larger nut behind it with a 1" open-end wrench to keep it from turning and then loosen the smaller fuel line nut with a pair of vice-girps set for a pretty tight grab.

5. With a small bulb add about 2-3 ounces of gas to the carb's fuel bowl through the large vent stack on top of the carb at the center just in front of the choke airhorn.

6. Turn the key and hope for the best.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2003, 11:32 PM

My dad told me that the gasoline would varnish like that and become hard. He also said that if I took some b-12 chem tool and poured it into the carb a few times a day and let it sit for a while, it may clean all of it out. This is a budget car and dont plan to put much money into it. I'll get some pictures of it up once I get my Photoshop working. Thanx guys. Much help is appreciated. I've never worked with a carbed car so, I'll need lots of help.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:28 PM

good luck wiff the LG4, if u learn anything new/interesting/helpful let me know too cause imma bout to throw an LG4 in my 88, mine runs tho but still.......****s good to know