3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Need help Car keeps stalling??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 08:05 AM

Need help Car keeps stalling??

Hi guys i had a problem with the car last night& was wondering if anyone knew what might be wrong??
I have an 89 Gta trans am 350 TPI, borge warner 9 bolt. these are the mods i have so far
slp intake runners
open element k&N
TPIS air foil
ported plenum (behind throttle body & slp runner port match)
1.6 roller tip rocker arms
TPIS A.F.P.R
edelbrock 1" 5/8 headers
flow master cat back
dual catco high flow cats
hypertech thermo master chip 160 stat

Here's the problem and question

I pulled the car out of storage today, filled it up with 94 octane .I drove about 20 miles , taking the long way home.took it back out a few hours later and drove another 20 miles or so. well later on i take the car up to sub way to get dinner and when i'm leaving the damn thing stalls in the parking lot( not @ idle,foot was on the gas)It re-started after a couple times i drive a 1/2 mile and it stalled again.I re-started it and it dies again ,so i coast into a parking lot,i tried to start it this time and it just cranks and cranks.I got starting fluid out of my rear compartment and sprayed it in the throttle body ,and it fired right up. i drove about 2 more miles and it died 100 feet from my driveway,so i coasted it in.It's not stalling @ idle.When it fires up after stalling ,it still runs perfect

What could be wrong?I didn't have time to do any checks tonight.no garage. would it be fuel or ignition?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post
Old 04-19-2003, 11:50 AM

sounds like somethin with gettin the fuel from the tank to the motor bc if it started with starter fluid then obviously youre gettin power to the spark plugs. are you leaking anything? sorry i cant help that much man
Old 04-19-2003, 12:20 PM

Thumbs up

When was last time you changed your fuel filter??? If it was recent, then get you a fuel pressure gauge and tie into your Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Be careful doing this (removing little valve inside is a must...do not lose so you can put it back or you can mount your gauge and be done with it). Have someone click on your ign (do not start) and you read the pressure. Should prime to about 34-47 psi. If it falls in between this start engine......It should now read 3-10 psi lower than the first step. If this checks out fine then look for kinks in line.

Later