3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

need help with a hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 09:16 PM

Question need help with a hood

im considering making my 89 formula into a gta clone and im not sure what hood to use. im undecided between my stock offset cowl formula hood, the ta/gta hood, and all the aftermarket choices. the traditional cowl hood, the ram air genI or genII, or maybe the huge 4"cowl hood, etc... does anyone have any opinions about any of these hoods, which ones are your favorites, why and does anyone have any pics of any of these on a 3rd gen TA or GTA? and i noticed some brands look different, like the standard cowl made by different people looks different on these cars. i want something thats going to match up with the body lines somewhat so i was thinking the genII ramair was out of the question, because its way to curvy for a gta body, but then again ive never seen any of these in real life other than the stock ones. please give me your guys opinions!

thanks,
Nick J
Old 10-24-2002, 05:48 PM

ttt

hasnt anybody seen a 3rd gen transam before? youve got to know what these hoods look like! please help
Old 10-24-2002, 07:30 PM

go with a fibreglass hood
save weight

that ram air II WS6 style is pretty sweet looking
Old 10-24-2002, 08:43 PM

Thumbs up

Check mine out.....And this thing is not lighter than the stock metal one!!!! It is about the same weight.

Later
Old 10-27-2002, 08:06 PM

ok this is off the question but what kind of results did you get with that new engine? ive been thinking of taking out my broke 305 and getting the whole engine out of a 96+ pickup with the vortec 350 and putting a different cam in it along with the SD vortec intake along with a 700r4, but not many have done more than just talked about the vortec setup. so do you have any idea what kind of results you got out of the swap? and do you have any idea how it compares to the 4th gens? ive got the 3:42 9bolt in there so i figured mine should run pretty good with that and the free mods.

thanks,
Nick J
Old 10-27-2002, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by 1fastformula
Check mine out.....And this thing is not lighter than the stock metal one!!!! It is about the same weight.

Later
that does look pretty good! but thats a formula i wonder if it looks that way on a transam body still?

wasnt there a silver transam on the cover of one of the magazines within the last year or so that had that hood on it?

i tried to find it to see but i couldnt locate it in all the piles!
Old 10-27-2002, 08:38 PM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by irocznformula
ok this is off the question but what kind of results did you get with that new engine? ive been thinking of taking out my broke 305 and getting the whole engine out of a 96+ pickup with the vortec 350 and putting a different cam in it along with the SD vortec intake along with a 700r4, but not many have done more than just talked about the vortec setup. so do you have any idea what kind of results you got out of the swap? and do you have any idea how it compares to the 4th gens? ive got the 3:42 9bolt in there so i figured mine should run pretty good with that and the free mods.

thanks,
Nick J
HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!! My L98 used to be a monster off the line and peter out at around 4000 RPM.....now this thing has a little less torque (still enough to throw ya) from the jump and Pulls like a M/F to 5000 RPM.......If you have the money, DO IT!!! Motor, Intake,EGR adapter(gotta have it to connect),Install and a fresh Tranny bullit proof rebuild (Scrambled the old one after break in period ) was a total of about $6,000. Well worth it I love my third gen and cannot wait to run a LT1 or a STOCK LS1

Later

Oh yeah...There is an article in the CHEVY HI PO Mag this month about the 350 HO Crate...GOOD STUFF
Old 10-28-2002, 05:39 PM

sweet sounds good to me, but do you have to have the egr even put on i was thinking about scrapping all the emissions stuff to give me more room under the hood to work on it, and im hoping to go a little cheaper route, i have access to a brand new engine out of a 96 pickup thats already a hyd. roller motor with the vortec heads and all, so all i'll need is new injectors (thinking about the svo24#) and special intake along with some custom computer work. im trying to make this a reality rather than just another dream but money aint free. plus i want to make the exterior changes also, so ill need it to be as affordable as possible i dont love the car that much so if its gonna cost an arm and a leg i might as well buy a 4th gen

wow how this topic strayed!

anyone else have any hood suggestions?

thanks,
Nick J.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:55 PM

Thumbs up

The only reason I out it on (Emission stuff gone too ) was to keep the engine light from coming on!!! I am not sure if you need for any other reason than that. Let us know when you get everything bolted up

Later