3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Need Help passing Cali emissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 10:06 PM

Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I meant was there are certain aspects of the test that are not as, shall we say "strenuous" as the sniffer. hands down, if you fail the sniffer, you fail. What I meant was there are some guys out there, and we all know they are out there so Im not making some big new found discovery and shocking revelation, who will overlook things for the right price. Depending on the other components of the smog system, you may be able to do without one ( ie cat) and still be able to pass the sniffer. I am fairly certain that my cat is plugged. I don't see how a cat could be less effective in cleaning exhaust gases, as even if it gets plugged it should prevent even more from escaping. In any case, I am not gonna waste my time right now freeing it out. I have a new motor in the works and that will take care of that. But yeah, Cali emissions are nothing to laugh at. Its really a pain. Especially with the new measures our good friend Gray Davis is putting into effect. Its gonne be even worse soon.

Just my opinion again.

Will
Old 08-14-2002, 08:34 AM

Not that it's any of my business, but if it's plugged, it's likely creating more backpressure than is benificial. I've had 2 Camaros- both were bought with "plugged" cats. On the first one, I replaced the plugged cat with a straight pipe. Car ran better, was quicker off the line, and used far less fuel. On the second car, I replaced it with the Dynomax Super Conv. Car ran betterm was quicker off the line, and used far less gas. (Just my 2 cents Stang...It was money well-spent.)
Old 08-14-2002, 09:39 PM

I agree totally. But my main thing is im getting a 350 in less than a year, so with all my other projects I really don't care to mess with the cat right now. I may though just take it off and drill down through it to free up a little flow. But I can deal with it for now. My car ran 16.7, so i doubt the cat could make that mucha difference for me, that a 350 won't take care of in a few months ! Thanks though

Will
Old 08-15-2002, 10:04 AM

I dont know much about 3rd Gens, Im new to them, I've been messing with the LS1's and LT1's so im pretty dumb when it comes to 3rd gens. So y'all are passing emissions with a carbarated 350, and I have a TPI 305, I should breeze the test right?
Old 08-15-2002, 06:48 PM

Just cuz you're fuel injected, doesn't mean its any easier for you. I have a carbed 305, not a 350. GM never made any "production" 350 3rd gens with carbs. Only a hand full of Gm test beds , and if you're lucky enough to have one, its a rare RARE thing. But anyway, ya my car passed the somg fine. But it all depends on what kinda shape your car is in to begin with. I take very good care of mine. And the previous owner did too. But now I am going to put a bigger engine in it, but even so, I still maintain this one in really good shape, cuz someday I might like to have a numbers matching 86 Z again. But for now, I am gonna do some nice mods. Anyway, I hope you pass it with a breeze. Its not that hard if your car is in good repair.

Will