3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Need Help with Removing my Power Steering, Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:07 AM

Need Help with Removing my Power Steering, Anyone??

I'm looking to remove the power steering from my 1991 RS, I need the power and also the space to mount my Alt. Just wondering, can I just remove it and plug the gear box with pipe plugs, or do I need to install a manual gear box? If so where can I get one, I've heard that a S-10 manual box will fit?? Also, I will not have this done before the races this week, so can I just remove the belt ( I bought one to fit my crank to wp ) will it affect or hurt my car??? The car is being made to a stip car, but I will use it on the street occasionally but PS is not important to me. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:41 AM

Re: Need Help with Removing my Power Steering, Anyone??

How big are your biceps? I think you will want a manual gearbox.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:12 AM

if u just remove the lines to the gear box you dont gain any horsepower
you need to stop the engine from turning the power steering pump, which means removing it
i'm not familiar with the serpentine belt routing so i dont know if u can remove it and reroute the belt, or if u need an idler pulley, or if u need a shorter/longer belt
Old 05-23-2006, 05:42 PM

definately get a manual box

and yes, a s10 manual box will fit, try to find one with the correct size pitman shaft(to fit yout pitman arm)
Old 05-23-2006, 05:59 PM

youll only gain like 5 horse or so from removing it its really not worth it
at least thats my opinion
Old 05-24-2006, 03:20 AM

Well here's is what my experience has been. My old car ( 1988 IROC with a 406 ) ran 12.90 but when I removed the belt, eliminating the power steering pump and the Alt. it ran 11.98 I gained almost a whole second off my times!! I am building the car for racing, it will see the street but only of friday nights so the manual thing doesnt really bother me that much. I've also been told if you take away the alt. power by running a toggle switch you can gain some power also because you are only then turning the pulley and not engauging the alt. itself??? Anyways, thats was the main reason, also because I cannot put alumnium valve covers on my car because the damn power post on the back of the alt. hits the cover, so I was going to mount it on the lower side where the ps pump is now? Any other ideas?? It is really turning out to be a nightmare with this car!!! Sure it's quick but man I need to change a lot of things.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:03 PM

S10 manual steering box is a direct fit. Get a 84-92+ version. It has 4 bolts on the top cover. The older, smaller, less chance of it being a direct fit version has 3 bolts on the top cover. There's always at least one later version available on Ebay.

You can use the early version but I don't know how well the pitman arm or steering shaft will hook up. The early pumps are supposed to have a smaller output shaft for the pitman arm. You should use the third gen pitman arm because it's a slightly differnet length than the S10 one. The input shaft may be a different size or spline count. GM changed them over a few years. I just know the later versions are a direct swap from a power box.

The HP gain is actually small. Although the pump is being turned by the belt, unless you're turning, the pump isn't working hard to put out pressure. The biggest improvement is the weight reduction. Remove pump and mounting brackets, hoses, oil, power box, cooler (if equiped). Install smaller, lighter manual box. An S10 manual box is almost 24 pounds and that's a lot lighter than all the power steering stuff.

Downside to a manual box. Parking lot driving with wide front tires is a chore especially if you have a smaller diameter steering wheel. Sharp turns takes more effort. A power steering box turns about 3 turns from stop to stop. An S10 manual box is 7 turns. Without power assist, it needs the torque multplication of extra turns to turn the wheels. For a strip car, there's never usually a problem. There's only a couple of slow speed sharp turns I need to make normally just in the pits.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:05 PM

For a strip only car, you can mount the alternator backwards if it will fit better. The alternator doesn't care what direction it spins. The cooling fan just won't be spinning the correct way.