3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 12:40 PM

Need some advice

Well as some of you guys know a couple months ago my car was up at a shop & it spun 3 main bearings. Now we have it almost ready to go to the shop & get engine work done on it.
Heres whats being done & what we got then for the Advice.
Ok The engine is a stock L98 out of my 87 Irocz but with the Holley stealth ram system.
When its in the shop it will be bored .30 over to make it a 355 (everyone is doing the 383 & I didnt want to do what everyone else is doing) of course they are doing all the other work that needs to be done, to it as well. plus they are Ordering all the parts (which is going to cost only about $300 for parts pistons & what have you) a Stock Crankshaft is going back in to the engine (we are just waiting for a friend to bring me his) He is also giving me a set of LT1 Connecting rods
Yesterday I ordered my Cam from LPE (only $260) one that will still work with slight computer mods (it will have to go back up to the dyno to get the finishing fuel mapping done & spark adjested anywas)

Now for the advice??? I am looking at finding a better set of heads for my car I will have right about 1200 to spend (on a set of Assmbled heads)in a couple months (unless I am not working) Looking at getting a mim of 64CC or as high as 70CC but still center bolt. Anyone have any Ideas Oh before any one asks I would like alm. but know they are higher priced (which I cant afford) so most likely end up going with Cast Iron.

Tammy
Old 02-25-2005, 12:45 PM

Re: Need some advice

Look at the Edelbrock E-tec heads...they are about $550 each, complete.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...98&prmenbr=361

- Justin
Old 02-25-2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
Look at the Edelbrock E-tec heads...they are about $550 each, complete.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...98&prmenbr=361

- Justin
They would not work unless I went out & got the vortec manifold I have the Holley stealth ram & I am not changing that.

Engineered to greatly increase performance and efficiency, Edelbrock E-Tec heads fit 302, 327, 350 and 400 c.i.d. small-block Chevys with “Vortec-style” intake manifolds. They incorporate Edelbrock’s new high-quench combustion chamber which promotes a more uniform atomization of the air/fuel mixture for more power. Spark plugs have been positioned closer to the center of the cylinder for more efficient combustion. Edelbrock E-Tec heads come with one-piece stainless steel valves that are swirl-polished and have undercut stems for maximum flow. They accept center-bolt or standard valve covers, work with most stock exhaust manifolds and have “Vortec-style” intake ports. Exhaust port exits are .200" higher than standard heads. For maximum performance, match with an Edelbrock Vortec manifold
Old 02-25-2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
They would not work unless I went out & got the vortec manifold I have the Holley stealth ram & I am not changing that.
Oops...wasn't thinking.

- Justin
Old 02-25-2005, 02:02 PM

I might end up going with a set of edelbrock I really like the Performer Centerbolt #60859 These are $1100.

50-state street legal aluminum heads for 1987-95 Chevy 5.7L engines (except LT1, LT4 and LT5 Corvettes) originally equipped with centerbolt valve covers and the 1987 and later intake manifold bolt pattern. The high-velocity intake runner is designed to work with either T.B.I. or Tuned Port Injection systems. The 60cc combustion chamber maintains the stock compression ratio when used with the recommended head gasket. They accept stock centerbolt or Edelbrock aluminum valve covers #4246 and #4247. Available with straight plugs only. Hardened pushrods required

Or the Performer Centerbolt For Corvette 60879

The unique intake port design of these Edelbrock aluminum heads greatly increases performance with the Tuned Port Injection systems used in the Corvette. The 60cc combustion chamber maintains stock compression ratio when used with the recommended gasket. 50-state street legal, these heads are designed for 1987-91 5.7L Corvettes (except LT1, LT4 and LT5 Corvettes) originally equipped centerbolt valve covers and the early style “straight” manifold bolt pattern. Also fits 1986 Corvette convertibles originally equipped with aluminum heads. Accepts stock centerbolt or Edelbrock valve covers #4246 & #4247. Hardened pushrods required. Available with angled plugs only
Old 02-25-2005, 05:03 PM

EDIT...Please don't do Edelbrocks unless they're Vic jrs...

I want to know the cam specs/compression/and if it's a daily driver/streetability, etc.

Flatlander Racing always has a ton of stuff to compare so I'll advise while looking there.

AFR 195s for L98. PN AFR1040 68cc chambers, Angle plug: $1259
Dart Iron Eagle 200cc/64cc PN 10321122 2.05/1.60/1.437D $499/each
Dart Pro1 Alum. Heads with the same specs are $599/Each

If you reply with big compression,big cam specs, and a need for big speed, I'll wanna point you towards an AFR227 or a Dart 230cc iron or aluminum head.

ALL OF THESE ARE PERIMITER BOLT BUT IT'S WORTHWHILE TO DO DIFFERENT VALVECOVERS.

I suggest the 200cc Dart Pro's. That's my final answer.

Justin, buy my E-Tec's. You seen the specs. They're drawer soilers with that intake. $1700....

Last edited by AutoRoc; 02-25-2005 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by AutoRoc
EDIT...Please don't do Edelbrocks unless they're Vic jrs...

I want to know the cam specs/compression/and if it's a daily driver/streetability, etc.

Flatlander Racing always has a ton of stuff to compare so I'll advise while looking there.
The cam is 74216 (part number) SBC 305-420 (engines can be used on) 213/219 .493/.502 w 1.6 rocker 112CL Car will be used 75% of the time as a daily driver carting kids around driving back & forth to work. 25% if the time running fast 1/4 mile times.

Flatlander is one of the places we are looking at getting heads through. & Everyone I have talked to but you said with the edelbrock headers & a few other stuff from Edelbrock I should be running the edelbrock heads ( I know it dont make any diff). Plus I just got a email from edelbrock & they said out of all the stuff they got I would be better off with the Performer Centerbolt #60859

I cant really afford these AFR 195s for L98. PN AFR1040 68cc chambers, Angle plug: $1259 Hell it has taken 5 months to come up with the money I have now to rebuild it (I have just under 2k to rebuild the engine & its going to cost 1700 to do all the work minus the heads)

As for going with out bolt Valve covers that would push my alt up & wouldnt clear the hood. The hold Idea of doing this is to keep the car looking 100% stock until I either open up the hood or start her up.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:48 PM

You can run perimeter valve covers with the stock serpentine setup, and not have clearance problems. I've been doing it for about 8 years now. There's just one minor little mod you have to do: take the long bolts that hold the alternator housing together out, and rotate the rear housing and field windings so that the battery stud is away from the valve cover, then put the bolts back in. The holes all line up, and it gives you plenty of clearance around the stud.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:56 PM

My car is an 87 & came with V belts & will most likely stay vbelts

If I remember right 88 was the first year that widely used the serpentine belts. if not it was 89.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:09 PM

Oh I should say something along the lines of because of the HRS we had to change the Alt bracket to an aftermarket one & the shop we had the car at said it was a POS & would not keep the Alt belt tight (which means it squeals really bad) but it was our only opt. at that time. After the car gets back on the road I am going to go down to a local shop & get a new braket made (I will have to leave the car with them for a few days)
Old 02-25-2005, 07:27 PM

hoss u got 1200 to spend on heads,go with pro toplines or trick flow 23s..great street heads.stay away from edelbrocks unless victors but victors wont work well on your set up
Old 02-26-2005, 12:34 AM

IIRC, someone on thirdgen.org has a set of AFR's for sale. At jsut a couple hundred more than the Trick Flow Alum heads - I'd try to put together the extra dough and do it right. You only want to make this investment once. Trick Flow are a decent alternative IMO...

HTH....
Old 02-28-2005, 12:33 PM

Ok after talking some more with Edelbrock & trick flow I can NOT use any thing with angle plugs because of issues with my Edelbrock headers. Edelbrock headers = straight plugs.
We are researching this thing like mad lol.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:03 PM

what no new advice or ideas on headers???? you guys were full of them the other day.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:06 PM

I am using the Edelbrock 60859 heads with the Edelbrock headers on a 87 350 plus a HSR and I didn't have any of the issues that you are describing. The heads alone were good for a 1/2 second increase in the 1/4 mile. The cam you chose will compliment these heads very well. The spark plugs are a pain to change but then how often do you need to change plugs. This worked very well for me. It can be difficult to make your choice when you get many different opinions. You may want to throw the question out there asking "how many people have actually used the Edelbrock heads & headers" and see if they ran into any issues. good luck..john

Quick Reply: Need some advice