3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Need some opinions on this one

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 11:58 PM

Need some opinions on this one

Before I go ahead and do what I have in mind I thought I would ask for some opinions first.

I have a 1986 305 TPI with 700R4 and lately for some reason it is running much hotter then it used to. Temperature usually sits around the 220-230 mark when it gets there. Always used to run at 190 even with the a/c condensor in place. I since have removed it but still running the same temp everything checks out okay, radiator, cap, fluid level, fans, thermostat (160deg). I have my suspisions on the water pump that it is not working like it should. But the pump does not show any leaks or sounds that could tell me it is stuffed. But that is about the only thing left that I have not checked.

Before when it used to run 190 F it would sometimes get to 220 at lights on a real hot day. But once I was in motion the temperature went down real quickly. Now once it gets to 220 it will sit there even once the car is in motion. Like I said I removed the a/c condensor but that did not help at all when I thought it would have helped heaps cause half of it was filled with crap and the metal fins bent by stones etc.

I think I might risk and buy a stewart water pump and see if it helps.

But the main concern I have now is with the transmission. Water temperature is at 220deg+ on my scan tool and this makes me believe then rather cooling the transmission fluid via the radiator it is HEATING it up!

I did have a transmission cooler installed in front of the a/c condensor and radiator but I had to pull it back out cause that really made my car overheat!!!! It must heat up the air before it gets to the radiator or restrict air flow to the radiator in some way. SO I had to pull it out and now I don't have it installed.

The only place I can think of installing the transmission cooler is in front of the front wheel up behind the lights. There is a little space there that I think the cooler could fit. But the question is will it get enough air there or does it need much air at all. The cooler is a pretty big one and does not have and fans on it.

So the real question I want to ask is, is it better to have the cooler mounted there with limited air then having the transmission oil run through the radiator when the car is running pretty hot??

Or am I better of running it via the radiator. I mean with limited air flow around the cooler is it likely to overheat the trannie oil more then via the radiator in my situation?

I think that having an external cooler where ever you place it will be better then having the oil run via the radiator lines. Is this so or not?

How important is it to have a wire coil in the bottom radiator hose going to the water pump? Mine does not have one.

It also seems to me that the water level is lower in the radiator then it used to be. I topped up the water level today and when I got back home it was about 3 inches below the cap. But then again the overfill reservoir is very full of water so maybe it goes into there?

Sorry for being so long just wanted to say everything I had on my mind.

Last edited by iroczinoz; 01-15-2003 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:50 AM
Banned

You have 2 sensors. One is the gauge one and the other is what the ECM sees. They should be around the same plus or minus 20 deg. If so, you have a over heating problem. Take an infra red thermal sensor and try get a temp reading on the radiator. Make sure there are no cold spots. Hot water comes in on the top left and goes out the bottom right. It should get hotter as you go from cool to hot. If there are cold spots that are vastly different, you have a radiator problem which no pump will solve.

I personally like the Edelbrock one.

The Trans Cooler should be in front of the radiator AFAIK.

There should be something to secure the hose to the radiator.

I suspect your radiator is plugged up. If so, take it out and try pouring vinegar in it and soak for a bit and pour it out and see if any chunks come out.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:57 AM

I pulled the radiator and flushed it out. I will try and get the radiator checked like you said.

Both the gauges read the same temperature plus minus 10 degress.

What does the AFAIK mean?

Is there a problem with the transmission cooler mounted right up against the radiator? Or does there have to be a gap between the cooler and radiator??

Thanks
Old 01-15-2003, 01:23 AM

Did you check and see if your Air-Dam is in good condition, mine got broken off and I couldnt keep the car cool to save my life. Spent $30 at the dealership for a replacement and now I couldnt break 180 if I tried
Old 01-15-2003, 01:52 AM

The air-dam is fine
Old 01-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by iroczinoz
I pulled the radiator and flushed it out. I will try and get the radiator checked like you said.

Both the gauges read the same temperature plus minus 10 degress.

What does the AFAIK mean?

Is there a problem with the transmission cooler mounted right up against the radiator? Or does there have to be a gap between the cooler and radiator??
Try the vinegar treatment in it and see if it will remove scale and buildup.

Gauges agree means that you more than likely have the correct temp.

As Far As I Know

Shouldn't be a problem really.