3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

New kid, got alot of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 11:47 PM

Post New kid, got alot of questions.

Yeah, hi, my name is Keith, and umm...I just bought an Blue 87 IROC-Z Camaro TPI, it has a new paint job, new seats and new dash and console, but it has been sitting for 7 months, and I got it cranked and made a deal with the guy. The car has 85,496 original miles on it, and it drives like it.It took some convincing but I convinced him that the rear-end could possibly be bad, and the tranny could also be bad from sitting, so we struck a deal for $3,500. Awesome deal huh? Anyways, I was wondering what this car can do in the 1/4. And what will it take to make it into the 13's? And the best mods to do it with. But keep in mind, I'm 16 and am on a budget so, keep it real for me here. Alright? Alright. Ya'll have fun with this and tell me what ya'll think.

------------------
Blue 87 IROC-Z Camaro,305 TPI
Old 08-05-2002, 11:57 PM

Yeah, I read over that and forgot to give some more details. Sorry, It's a 305, A4, it has 3" flowmasters already on it, and...I think that's it.

------------------
Old 08-06-2002, 12:41 AM

Coming from another 16 yr old with a thirdgen, your "budget" will most likely be sucked up by gas, and fixing the car. i know mine was. That being said, get headers, and have fun. Remember that we're still new drivers of fairly ballsy cars. Going fast is fun, but not dying is fun too. Keep that in mind.

------------------
87 GTA 350, Needs lots of love

"It's not what you do, it's how good you look doing it"
Old 08-06-2002, 08:14 AM

Although you're absolutely right, I'd have to say...for a 16 yr old, you sure know how to suck the fun out of owning a muscle car. Usually people don't get that realistic/negative at least until they have to start paying back their student loans. Be safe, but have fun. Remember you're 16, not 61!

Tracey

------------------
1984 Camaro Z28
305 c.i. LG4
Rochester Quadrajet 4-barrel carb
5 spd trans.
Accel Superstock wires
Accel dist. cap & rotor
Bosch platinum plugs
K&N air filter
Dynomax Super Converter
Dynomax Super Turbo muffler
chrome tips
Cooper Cobra 235/60R/15 (fronts)
Cooper Cobra 245/60R/15 (rears)
160F thermostat
...and more to come!

http://members.rogers.com/copperchick010
Old 08-06-2002, 08:20 AM

Talking

You remind me of myself at your age. It sounds like you got a good deal on the car for sure. And, with the new paint, that's one major expense you won't have to shell out for. Way to go! I agree with Habib in that headers would be a great mod. I'm planning on putting those on my '84 Z as well. Remember, you have a lifetime to add mods to this car. I bought my Z while I was in university back in 1993. Today, she looks and sounds better than when I bought her nearly 10 years ago and she's slightlly quicker too! It's a labour of love. Enjoy the car and when budget constraints get you down, remember- Camaros live forever. You won't always be 16 and working part time. When you're done school and making the big bucks, your car will be waiting in the wings for her cut of your paycheque. (I swear mine can smell a paycheque from two days away!)
For rightnow, keep her tuned up. A tuned up car will save you on gas and it's the cheapest way to add performance as well.
Have fun!
Tracey

------------------
1984 Camaro Z28
305 c.i. LG4
Rochester Quadrajet 4-barrel carb
5 spd trans.
Accel Superstock wires
Accel dist. cap & rotor
Bosch platinum plugs
K&N air filter
Dynomax Super Converter
Dynomax Super Turbo muffler
chrome tips
Cooper Cobra 235/60R/15 (fronts)
Cooper Cobra 245/60R/15 (rears)
160F thermostat
...and more to come!

http://members.rogers.com/copperchick010
Old 08-06-2002, 12:54 PM

Yes. I agree with you about being 16. I've already thought about it, but if I die, this would want to be how i die, In a Camaro. Of course, not at the tender age of 16. But I was thinking more along the lines of a torque converter? No? And if so what size? I have an awesome job for a 16 yr old, at $8 an hour, not bad for a high schooler. So I dont think my money will all go into gas, and the car is bassically in good shape, the only problem I think I will have, is getting it to pass inspection. No? But, my friend from church gave me his 84 Trans Am 305, it runs, so that's a free parts car, or is someone interested? But Im thinking on taking the small pump off of there and throwing it on the IROC. Will it pass with that? And like I said, it has been setting for 7 months, and when I cranked it, a little bit of white smoke came out. And it was hardly noticeble, but it continued to smoke a little,what's the prob, and how can I fix it. Y'all tell me what you think, and help me pass emissions.

------------------
Old 08-06-2002, 02:34 PM

the smoke is most likely valve seals. this is a common problem, and not really that big of a deal, at least not until it starts getting really bad. As far as emissions, what makes you think it wouldn't pass? Does it not have a smog pump on it? what other equipment is missing off from it? Best thing you can do for it right now is a tuneup. replace the cap, rotor, coil, plugs, wires, and all the fluids from the front to the back. Is the engine light on? If so run a diagnostic code check and see whats going on there.

good luck, and welcome

Eric
Old 08-06-2002, 05:45 PM

The light goes on and off. The smoke was bad at first, but after I drove it, it almost stopped smoking completely. I was informed that the later model 3rd Gen. F-body cars were not equiped with a smog pump. But I do have a parts car, and 84 T/A 305 so whatever I dont have, I guess I can get it from there. So that's why I think It wont pass emissions, but if it has one, should it be alright? I live in Harris county, and I think the emission laws are a little more strict out here, which sux, but im hopeing that it will pass, if not, there's a couple of places where I can get a sticker to buy me some time to fix the probs. Thanx guys.

------------------
Old 08-07-2002, 01:31 AM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rage:
The light goes on and off. The smoke was bad at first, but after I drove it, it almost stopped smoking completely. I was informed that the later model 3rd Gen. F-body cars were not equiped with a smog pump.
</font>
If there are no problems it should flash code 12. That is Flash, pause, flash flash, long pause and it goes on 2 more times.

You were informed wrong. I have a 91 which is 1 year from when they went to a 4th Gen and I had one till I forgot to put it in.
Sounds like the engine had a little oil in it from sitting but if it cleared up, it is a wait and see
Old 08-07-2002, 08:08 AM

Welcome to the obcession.

Here's a couple answers to some questions that you haven't gotten responses to yet.

In its current trim, I'd say you could expect low 16 second or high 15 second 1/4 mile times assuming your Posi is in working order. As for 13s... that's going to require an engine swap unless you want to **** twice as much money into the 305. For your 305, I wouldn't spend big bucks on a new converter. If you can get one out of a TPI 85 IROC you'll find that it's got a higher stall speed than yours and will work nicely with the 305. There are also some 4.3 S10s that use the same converter as the Corvettes and it's got a decent stall speed. I know very little about this, but I'm sure a Google search will turn up all you need to know.

Anyway, have fun with it. If you want to learn a little bit about your IROC, visit my website. http://iroc.fbody.com. It's an IROC-specific site with a ton of great info.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
View the Restoration of an 85 IROC
Weekend projects aren't.

[This message has been edited by Jim85IROC (edited August 07, 2002).]