3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Newcomer :/

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 01:01 PM

Question Newcomer :/

I'm new to this board, and cars in general. I just got my first car about 2 weeks ago.. a 1989 Camaro RS. I've been messing around here and there with it, doing some research on it, and just trying to customize it a bit, but i have a few questions... I want to get new rims for it eventually, the ones on it are really cruddy looking and boring, I found some rims that i like on the web, but i can't find any 15s...So i either need to get 16s (will they fit without any probs?) or find a place that sells 15s (any recommendations?). keep in mind that i live in a little hick town (had to drive out of state to get a replacement t-top panel) so we don't have any places that deal specifically in wheels. Also, this may seem like a dumb question, but how many hp/torque does a stock 89 Camaro RS w/out any mods have? One last thing...what are some good mods to do to get more hp/torque w/out spending a lot of money. I'm a lowly teenager with a part-time job. Thanks in advance for any info, it's greatly appreciated
Old 08-11-2002, 02:55 PM

I'm in pretty much the same position, just starting college, not a lot of money. All my graduation money went to Cragar S/S wheels-600 dollars bought and installed, they're 15 inch. You could also get Cragar 15 inch Street Stars for a LITTLE less. I have a 91 RS, best money I've spent yet was $20 for an open element air cleaner. You should notice a substantial difference, your car won't be choking for air at high RPMs. I also hear an exhaust cutout is a great cheap thing to do, I'm going to find out soon enough. Hope that helps to get you started.

------------------
91 305 drop top
Holley air cleaner
Flowmaster 80 Series
Bosch Platinum 4+ plugs
160* thermo
B&M shift kit (waiting to get put in)
Cragar S/S wheels-just so I could negate any speed I may have gained
more coming soon
Old 08-11-2002, 03:23 PM

Exclamation

Thanks a bunch.... i'm considering the exhaust cutout since i'm in the process of having my exhaust system worked with anyway.. Got a new muffler, nothing expensive just a basic IMCO High Output muffler and new exhaust pipes, i'm going to go in on Monday and get some exhaust tips put on, just to add some personalization to it, and when i'm there i'll discuss the exhaust cutout with the guy that's working on my exhaust. Will the exhaust cutout make my exhaust a lot louder? Will the performance increase be noticable?
Old 08-11-2002, 11:21 PM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

Welcome to the board!!

Steve
Old 08-12-2002, 08:02 AM

There are hundreds of 15" wheel choices out there. Your car uses the same bolt pattern and offset that Chevy has used for ages. If you go up to 16" or even 17" wheels, you'll have no fitment problems as long as the offset is correct and you get the right size tires. I would say that your cheapest options would be to score some used IROC or GTA wheels (16"). You can usually get them on Ebay or in the cz28.com or thirdgen.org classified sections pretty regularly. Another choice is to get some aftermarket 4th gen wheels, like ZR1s, Z06, etc. There's a lot of places that make them. www.afswheels.com seems to be one of the more popular ones. Just keep in mind that you'll need a set of $250 spacers if you want to use 4th gen wheels.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
View the Restoration of an 85 IROC
Weekend projects aren't.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:09 PM

From what I've heard, a cutout is good for nearly a tenth. Not sure if that's true, but it seems to be a popular mod on CZ28, so it probably is close. Should make a big sound difference, too. I plan on keeping mine capped on the street, don't wanna **** off the neighbors.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:45 AM

As for the stock hp and tq numbers for the 305 tbi are 170hp and 250tq at the fly. It will be about 150rwhp and 220-230 rwtq. If you want to upgrade your rims I would look into getting a set of 16x8 iroc or the 91-92 style set. If you shop around you can find a used set for about 400 bucks. Also they would bolt right up.

------------------
http://bitchincamaro.no-ip.com 91 RS Camaro 5-speed black w/t-tops 305 TBI now TPI
MODS: SLP cold air intake w/K&N, air foil,Accel 19 LB injectors, March aluminum under drive pullies, Alburn pro posi, Aluminum drive shaft, Random Technology 3'' cat-back, 8.5mm MSD wires, 160 thermo, jet fan swich, Custom chip with 91 vette computer, SSBC slotted rotors, optima battery in the rear, BMR adjustable lower control arms and panhard rod, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, TB bypass, no egr, no air