3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

nightmare spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 11:20 PM

nightmare spark plugs

Well i finally have my camaro in the driveway, have bought some tools and am starting to do the basic maintanance that needs to be done before she hits the road. The first major thing i decided to tackle was the spark plugs. Now you see the thing is changing spark plugs shouldnt be a major job but the car has some aftermarket slp headers. These headers almost completly block the two spark plugs that are closest to the firewall meaning you cant get the proper ratchet into the space. Me and my buddy decided to tackle the drivers side first because its relatively unobstructed and the other side is completly covered with hoses and all sorts of other stuff that needs to come out. The two closest spark plugs to the nose of the car were real easy to go out but we tried and tried and tried on the second two with absolutly no luck to the point where we gave up and started trying to get the headers unbolted from the car (not an easy task with these headers). We had all of the bolts loosened up on the header when my car nut neighbour came out to give me a hand. He spent about a half hour using a wrench while smashing it with a screw driver with cranking it with a thing a mabober(thats the technical term for the tool). By the time he was done his knuckles were totally cut up man who ever though changing spark plugs could be so hard. I think ill tackle the other side another day!
Old 05-21-2003, 11:25 PM

You can get to nos. 1, 2, and 3 from the top but it is easier to get the rest from the underside of the car. I've removed the AIR system from my Z which should make it easier to get a couple more from the top but am getting ready to install a set of SLP 1 3/4 headers so this may change I'll see.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:42 PM

Yea i have the same problem with my super comps. They have to come off before I even think about changing the plugs. On top of that, the spark plug wires have to go back on
Old 05-22-2003, 09:24 AM

They make a tool for taking the plugs out. You can pick one up at SLP. All it is, is a modified sparkplug socket that has been cut down. That's what a lot of us had to do to get ours out, I know, I made one. Here is the link to the SLP one:

SLP socket

There is also another one that is calapsable(spelling??). I don't have a link for it but you could probably find it with a search.

Oh yeah, doing it from the bottom seems to be the easiest way.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:39 PM

my car has headers and changing the spark plugs wasnt too bad, the one i had the most trouble with was the #6 plug because the ac system is on the top and the control arm is below it so you need another elbow to get to it. my spark plug socket had a spot on the end to fit a combo. wrench on it (3/4" i beleive) so that made it much easier to work around the headers.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:44 PM

I also have the SLP headers. Get the tool! Trust me. Its worth it. You'll be done in NO time dude. slip it on there and start turning with an open end wrench. Simple as that. I did my last spark plug install in about 30 minutes with new wires and everything.

BTW

Check out some pics guys. This is the Holley Stealth Ram.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/diablo_49...c=ph%26.view=t

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/diablo_49...c=ph%26.view=t

Last edited by RedIrocZ-28; 05-22-2003 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by RedIrocZ-28
I also have the SLP headers. Get the tool! Trust me. Its worth it. You'll be done in NO time dude. slip it on there and start turning with an open end wrench. Simple as that. I did my last spark plug install in about 30 minutes with new wires and everything.

BTW

Check out some pics guys. This is the Holley Stealth Ram.

[/url]
looks good man, gmhtp has an article on them in their newest issue, they put them on there 88 iroc project car. they had it running mid 12's i beleive, with more than just the stealth ram of course.