3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

A nostalgic memory for Camaro owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 03:48 AM

A nostalgic memory for Camaro owners

This was my first time this happened, and now it happens ALL THE TIME...but I am sure it is this way with all Camaro owners...

While driving my 89 Camaro RS back from the dealer, I noticed many ppl staring at me, I felt as though I might have a flat or my new car was smoking...

As I pulled into my town, I noticed the teenagers that always hang in the parking lot of the local grocery store staring and pointing at me...I began to think that maybe my car was falling apart...

I went inside the store to grab a pack of smokes and a Power Aid, when I came out...3 teenagers and 2 adult men were standing at my new car (OMG wtf are they doing??).

Turns out, everyone was staring at my car!? Apparently this is a pretty hot car (I love it, but didnt know others liked it). Since that day, I get people pointing and staring at me as I drive by, I usually will throw it in neutral and throw em a rev, and they keep on staring all the way around the corner.

The engine sounds like a damn lion growling, and I dont even have to tell you about how nice the body is (solid black).

I know you all prolly think I sound like an idiot, but I am in love with my ride...and I am constantly finding reasons to go to the store or to pick something up that I used to never want to do.

"Honey will you go get me some tampons..." SURE THING BABE!!!

Also, on the down side, the local police seem to have a pool going on who will be the first to catch me doing something wrong, as I seem to be a cop magnet now = )

89 Camaro RS (black)
305 ci 5.0L
Old 03-10-2003, 11:33 AM

I hear you with the staring, I have an Iroc, and I guess people seem to like it! Coming out of my appartment the other day a group of guys (mayve a few girls, not sure) were just yelling and waving their hands at me, I thought I had a flat or left my gas cap open! haha!

I guess that means our 3rd gens are starting to become classics now! When even I see a sweet classic ride, I always throw 2 thumbs up and a huge smile on my face.

I haven't had anybody actualy come up to my car and start asking me questions or anything yet, just alot of stares.

It's quite cool I have a mean growl as well, 350 breathing threw Edelbrock headers and a Flowmaster. Off a stoplight I get stares and quite a few rice rides buzzing around me as well.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:29 PM

No offense, but how far "out of the way" are you? There are quite a few thirdgens around here, but pretty much none get that kind of attention. Even the much nicer ones like mine

Glad to see you're enjoying your car, and everyone else is too
Old 03-10-2003, 05:35 PM

Everyone seems to stare at my black camaro also, but then again I take the t tops off in 20 degree weather and the dying t5 makes god awful grinding noises and the massive snowtires spin with the slighest throughtle on dry pavement.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:32 PM

In my opinion along with many others, the Iroc were some of the most attractive camaros ever. I rarely see an Iroc here or there, and when I do they are usually totally beat, and autos. None of the 4th gens i have owned have gotten the looks the clean Iroc has.....to each his own i suppose, but thats my input.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:47 PM

i too have to agree.....for a generation of automobiles that is often forgotten in literature and aftermarket exposure when a nice one is in front of you it sure gets the looks! it's a great feeling to own something that you like so much and actually be able to use it......it's also a rare feeling, one that not to many people understand until they experience it for themselves.

unfortuantely like previously stated the police tend to have a lower opinion of these types of vehicles though. however, i have had experiences on both ends of the spectrum.

i've had police offers pull me over at gun point because a similar camaro with a similar one of a kind exhaust sound was causing some trouble.............as if there were only one thirdgen in town. as well as also having repeated attemps by police officers to get me to speed. there have been good sides as well. i've had officers at lights compliment me; briefly explaining how they once owned a similar car or how they wouldn't mind having one now.

little things that once use to take minutes now seem to last alot longer. like going to the gas station now takes twice as long because someone is always wanting to ask a question. while i can't complain about any of it because i certainly enjoy it. it's definately a rush and something that makes the winter only seem longer.

even many of my family members and friends have experienced things in little ways wether it was a buddies first time out cruising or that family members first time driving up to the corner store you can't hide from the fun.

Last edited by kandied91z; 03-10-2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:01 PM

Yes, something about a black Iroc that just scream COOL! I have only seen one other black Iroc here in Phoenix, but I'm sure there are alot more, phoenix is quite big, and the Arizona air is great for body preservation! sucks for interior and tires tho...
Old 03-11-2003, 05:17 AM

Yea, I know exactly what you are are talking about.
About a year ago I decided that I was tired of buying a 30 thousand dollar truck every few years and putting 20,000 miles on it every year just driving back and forth to work. So I bought a 95 plain jane "Barney Purple" (Well my Daughter likes purple) V-6 Camaro and started driving it as a work car "better gas mileage & no miles on my new truck".
I've gotten 10 times more compliments, stares & looks on the $3500 base model Camaro than I ever have on the $35,000 truck "which by the way is a very nice looking automobile" The only thing i hate is I like my third gen better & I can't wait till I get it back on the road so I can challenge those that I run into that have an attitude!

Bruce (70GTO)
Old 03-11-2003, 02:49 PM

I got to throw in my 2 cents worth.I pretty much agree with what everyone else stated above. With the addition of Convertibles. Third gen verts are not seen on a regular basis anywhere I have been. I think I have seen three since I have been here in Phoenix. I get quite a few stares in mine with the top up or down.Most of the ones you see (in my experiences) are the RS models.Mine happens to be a Z28. I am very happy with my car and plan to never part ways with it. These cars were labeled by Hot Rod and Car craft as affordable a year or so ago.Since then I think they are becoming more popular and trendy again.Of course you wil always have some of the 4th gen guys looking down on us calling our cars mullet mobiles and stuff.Oh Well screw em.

James
Old 03-16-2003, 11:35 PM

Of my 4 vehicles (wife's 94 Camaro included)...when all cars are washed/waxed (even playing field ) my restored 1970 Gold Firebird gets the most attention..esp in the drive through fast food windows.

My Turbo Trans Am....to my surprise doesn't get as much attention as would be expected. Probably due to the reason that most people doen't even know what a Turbo Trans Am is...or how significant it is. The attention that is does get is from people readin the "Official Pace Car. stickers on the doors.." and the "Pontiac Indy 500" windshield emplem. The fender "Turbo Trans Am" emblems confuses most until they here the evil whistle.

My Wife's Red V-6 with it's great looking Red Paint is gorgous when waxed...The gleam of the color really gets looks on the freeway...esp from other 4rth gen owners. (2/3 of car was repainted from fender bender).

My 87 IROC is a driver...but is in good condition considering the high mileage 207,000. The paint is doing the 80s fad...but it still gets people's attention when they here the cat back exhaust and flowmaster muffler. Gosh...I love this car!!!
Old 03-17-2003, 07:22 AM

The Formula draws stares everywhere it goes. Even more when the owner (my hot gf) drives, and still more when the cutout's uncapped. It's a blast riding with her or driving the car. I feel like a celebrity. Hell, even the ricers back off when they hear open headers, hehe.

I had one guy approach me to put the car in a book (which it is, it'll be printing soon). He said it was so rare to find a Formula of that era, with that pinstriping, in good shape. Hells yeah! We took the pix and we have 2 or 3 in the big coffee table book coming out called "A Biography of the Pontiac Firebird"

I hate driving my truck. No one cares
Old 03-17-2003, 10:21 AM

I have the same problem. I have a 87 Iroc-z & when i drive in to spanaway (its a subburb of Tacoma) I get ppl honking their horns & yelling NICE CAR. of course we also get that in the Z/hawk as well.

Went to the back gate of one of the Military bases around here & the MP said NICE car. Later that night we have a fox body 5.0 Mustang trying to take us out. WTF That mustang had less power in it then my 87 But he thought he could take out a LT1?
Old 03-18-2003, 02:07 AM

oh yeah and btw...

I have also found out that every rice burner and joe-hotrod wants to race me...my favorite was the 72 torino with rusted out tailpipes lol...anyways, if they arent staring then they are daring.

Btw, I live in a little town 30 miles west of Twin Falls...where the main job opportunity is still dairy farming.