3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

oil pump drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 12:04 AM

oil pump drive

whats the difference between a sbc and bbc oil pump drive because i belive i have a bbc one in my sbc, i tried so many time to get my dist. in and it jsut dont go down all the way then i put a screw driver to the top of hte pump drive to the bottom of intake then match it up to the dist. and seems like like its slightly longer, when i drop the dist. in it goes on the oil pump drive jsut not all the way on the cam (put some grease on the dist. cam gear then dropped it down only seems to hit on about a 1/8 in of the gear if that) so im wondering if theres a difference between a sbc and bbc pump drives i.e the length.... soemthing to explain why my dam dist. wont go in (and if it is the pump drive i sure hope theres a way i can get it off with the motor in the car or else looks like out it comes ) so if any could shed some light on this that would be great

thanx steve
Old 05-09-2004, 07:23 PM

Steve,

Per ARP's website, they have different part numbers. The BBC is probably slighty different in dimentions.

I need to ask a few questions in order to help you out. Since you were not sure how to get it out, I'm going to assume you have not changed it (to remove it, you remove the oil pan, oil pump and it will drop out with the pump). So, if you've not changed it....

1. Was the motor running before you removed the distributor?

2. Why is the distributor out of the car?

3. When trying to insert the distributor, did you use a priming tool (or giant screwdriver, careful not to drop it in there) to turn the oil pump drive shaft (it is like a slot headed screw) to line up with the roll pin on the bottom of the dsitributor? If not, you may need to try that first. Remember, the distributor will be turned by the helical cut of the cam and distributor gears. You need to "guestimate" where the pin will be when it touches the oil pump drive shaft. If you can get it in the slot, it will turn the driveshaft as you install the distributor and everything will be just fine. I suspect that this is your problem, but until I have more info, I'm just guessing.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:31 PM

i was rebuilding a motor(350) for my car (but left the old(305) one in while i was rebuilding this one) the motor i was rebuilding didnt have the oil pump or any of that on it so i went up to this engine shop im pretty good friends with ask him to weld my pick up to the pump and if he had a drive he goses through some drowers and come up with a used one i was like cool he didnt charge me or ne thing so then month or so later pull the old motor put the new one in transfer coupe parts fuel rails misc other things and then it comes time to drop the dist. in and it gose down so far but roughtly 1/2 from the intake but its on the oil pump drive, so i think that maybe i have the wrong oil pump drive not letting it go down all the way into the cam and on the intake ? i dont think theres anything else that would stop it from going all the way down being the dist is the one from the old motor both are stock deck height only difference i went to vortec heads on the new motor but that wouldnt make any difference ... so now i have the new motor in the car with a dist. that wont go in, i'm hoping maybe i jsut undo the motor mount jack up the motor some enough to get the pan off and such cause i really would hate to have to pull it again but if it needed then i guess ill have to do it
Old 05-09-2004, 09:35 PM

Did you line up the slot in the oil pump drive? If not, that will keep it 1/4 inch or more out of the block.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:41 PM

if I have trouble getting the dist. in all the way, I put the dist. in were it should be(tdc, rotor to #1, then if it is up about a 1/4 in., I have some one bump the engine over with the key, then the dist. usually will then drop right down