3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Ok guys.. the engine is officially ripped apart!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Banned

Ok guys.. the engine is officially ripped apart!

Well, the engine was yanked; heads, oil pan, intake, exhaust.. ALL OFF! The cylander walls, after carefully checking it out.. look lik they have f'in 200 MILES ON THEM.. NOT 197K!!!!! They still have those.. forgot what their called.. cross-scores maybe? The side-to side, diagonal scores from the factory I think. I think that maybe just the valve seals are shot.. not the rings. BUT.. i will hone and re-ring for the heck of it anyways.
Matt
Old 10-21-2004, 06:35 PM

Re: Ok guys.. the engine is officially ripped apart!

The lines are called the "cross-hatch." If you can still see them after that many miles, then that was a damn good motor you pulled out of there. Did you mic the bores at the top, middle, and bottom to see if they are tapered or egg-shaped at all? If the cross-hatch is even all the way around they shouldn't be, but it's best to make sure.

Sounds like the 305 held up pretty well.....
Old 10-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Banned

Ya, my dad owned the car b4 I did.. he treated that thing better than his own *****! His clutches lasted him (on average) 80k, or 90k miles! NEVER replaced the suspension, NEVER messed w/ the tranny, and NEVER had a tuneup! The cross hatch look about even the whole way around (only near the middle-ish area of the cylander, it looks like) but I dont have the pistons out yet.. that is tomorow or Saturday BUT on the valves, there is something that looks like white paint, that is like, flaking off kind of. I dunno what it is.
P.S., i will let you know about the cross hatch'ing sometime tomorow or Saturday.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:32 PM

The flaky white powder is from fuel additives. It's not anything to worry about, just something you get from running winter mix fuels up north according to what I've read.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
The lines are called the "cross-hatch." If you can still see them after that many miles, then that was a damn good motor ...
any engine will still have the cross-hatching after 200k miles unless the air & oil filters and oil (cheap oil) changes were few and far between.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:26 PM

The lines are called the "cross-hatch." If you can still see them after that many miles, then that was a damn good motor ...
they dont realy mean anything. ive never seen one that didnt have them unless it wasnt taken care. x hatches mean very little.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:18 PM

In my personal experience (with paying customers incidentally) you don't generally see cross-hatch in anything with more than 125k on it. Maybe it's just because no one takes care of their cars, but it's still uncommon to see an engine wear that well. I do head gasket replacements on a fairly regular basis, so this isn't just from one or two motors....my experience covers a good sampling of both import and domestic cars, anywhere from 5 to 20 years old (and just a few older but those are well taken care of "toy" cars.)
Old 10-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
The flaky white powder is from fuel additives. It's not anything to worry about, just something you get from running winter mix fuels up north according to what I've read.
It does not look like "powder".. actually, it looks like the underside of the valve (the portion that is faced w/ the actual fuel/exhaust) is actually PAINTED white, and the white is starting to flake off. Oh, and BTW.. among all the other things wrong w/ the car, the air filter is SHOT! When I drove it home that one day, that is just another thing wrong w/ it!
Old 10-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Banned

And BTW.. when ever I tell peopl that the cross hatch is still on there, everyone seems utterly amazed
Old 10-23-2004, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by 85_305
It does not look like "powder".. actually, it looks like the underside of the valve (the portion that is faced w/ the actual fuel/exhaust) is actually PAINTED white, and the white is starting to flake off. Oh, and BTW.. among all the other things wrong w/ the car, the air filter is SHOT! When I drove it home that one day, that is just another thing wrong w/ it!

An old hot rod trick was to paint the pistons (tops)and the heads (compression camber area)with white VHT paint helped with the fuel burn,but I doubt that the factory did this. If the engine is stock it's probably from fuel additives.

Last edited by IROC-T; 10-23-2004 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Banned

Oh.. well, I thought it looked like paint, but the engine is stock, so your prolly right